2022 FIM MotoGP

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
rscsr

Re: 2022 FIM MotoGP

Cuky wrote:
25 Aug 2022, 10:03
It also doesn't help to have a rider that is just not fit enough and 3 riders who aren't sure about their future with team/manufacturer. And then every single one of them pulling in their own direction with Honda having tested so many different configurations this year.

I feel their drastically new bike is a right thing to do and that it is going in right direction. It is just that this year is super competitive and grid is packed so tight that any small performance related problem suddenly makes you look like a back marker instead of fighting for podiums.
imho, all that feels to me, like the riders are just not good enough. They don't need to be the quickest, but if they don't give consistent feedback, or they don't feel any difference for the parts they get, that doesn't speak too well for the quality of their riders. Tbh I didn't understand their rider choices at all. Why is Nakagami there? He didn't show anything in Moto2. Alex Marquez took 5 years or so of taking a beating of his teammates to win it. And it also seems like Pol Espargaro is not good for developing a bike. He may be quick, when someone else gives good feedback, but at KTM they also seem to make steps forwards when Pedrosa joined them.

etusch

Cuky wrote:
It also doesn't help to have a rider that is just not fit enough and 3 riders who aren't sure about their future with team/manufacturer. And then every single one of them pulling in their own direction with Honda having tested so many different configurations this year.

I feel their drastically new bike is a right thing to do and that it is going in right direction. It is just that this year is super competitive and grid is packed so tight that any small performance related problem suddenly makes you look like a back marker instead of fighting for podiums.
ın this article longer bikes and itallian style mentioned by riders. it is hard to change japanness engineers approach but I think there will be some changes after two different very good riders feedback in same direction. maybe longer bikes (even if not as long as ducati) vee or L block engines etc. I am sad about suzuki but excited to see new yamaha and honda bikes and nee Honda riders. I also very excited about eldiablo. if he is fast with this yamaha how fast he can be a decent one.

etusch

rscsr wrote:
25 Aug 2022, 10:33
Cuky wrote:

imho, all that feels to me, like the riders are just not good enough. They don't need to be the quickest, but if they don't give consistent feedback, or they don't feel any difference for the parts they get, that doesn't speak too well for the quality of their riders. Tbh I didn't understand their rider choices at all. Why is Nakagami there? He didn't show anything in Moto2. Alex Marquez took 5 years or so of taking a beating of his teammates to win it. And it also seems like Pol Espargaro is not good for developing a bike. He may be quick, when someone else gives good feedback, but at KTM they also seem to make steps forwards when Pedrosa joined them.
I think there is a border which's one side there is winners and champions and otherside average riders/drivers. Both Nakagami and PE get that border a few times and everytime they get there they could not achieve to pass winners side of border but they crashed or made mistakes.

johnny comelately
johnny comelately

The current view from Marquez, M.

johnny comelately
johnny comelately

KTM to incorporate Red Bull F1 engineers into MotoGP team.

They have not been succeeding with a bike that has a very narrow window of setup performance, so this should be a good step.
The story shows the parallel story for Aprilia who used Massimo Rivola (ex Ferrari) and the Audi influence at Ducarti.

https://www.motorsport.com/motogp/news/ ... ontent=www

Cuky

Joan Mir has signed 2 year contract with Repsol Honda.

https://www.motogp.com/en/news/2022/08/ ... act/432866

I may be wromg, but in my opinion this will prove to be a wrong move for both parties. Honda will get a rider that is not super fast and is proving to be quite unreliable in his rides, while Mir will get on a bike that so far doesn't work and is known to be super hard to ride.

johnny comelately
johnny comelately

Cuky wrote:
30 Aug 2022, 11:23

I may be wromg, but in my opinion this will prove to be a wrong move for both parties. Honda will get a rider that is not super fast and is proving to be quite unreliable in his rides, while Mir will get on a bike that so far doesn't work and is known to be super hard to ride.
couldnt agree more Cuky
Mir has been overiding
Maybe next years Honda will shine, the first thing would be to give it a new model name, RC213V is 9 years past

etusch

Cuky wrote:

Big probably Honda and Yamaha will make a quite different bikes. It may work or may not work. We will see. If it works that will be good for MM for Honda and for JM, AR. I also don't see mir as a fast rider but there is MM as no:1 so no worry for Honda.
Today I watched a video; a Honda engineer talks about 2 years of engine development during 2 years of covid era and he said they changed more things on the engine than they used to change from season to season. He says it is not power thing but power curve and delivery etc. So maybe honda will not change engine for next season. they tried to get more rear oriented bike this year but they could not achieved it so we still didn't see their engine performance, if the engine dev they had worked or not. They were not as powerfull as ducati and not have that much top speed but they were good at acceleration . If they will goo little bit longer chassis acceleration will be better.
Maybe they already tried to be fast on straights like Ducati by this current bike's rear oriented development and engine power delivery work. I read at en article that they are having some turning issue (may be at article which @johnny shared). Seems like ducati's issues.

Last edited by etusch on 30 Aug 2022, 14:20, edited 1 time in total.

etusch

johnny comelately wrote:
30 Aug 2022, 11:59
Cuky wrote:

couldnt agree more Cuky
Mir has been overiding
Maybe next years Honda will shine, the first thing would be to give it a new model name, RC213V is 9 years past
Yes they can change name and it is easy job. change one or all three numbers out there 😂

Cuky

etusch wrote:
30 Aug 2022, 14:14
Big probably Honda and Yamaha will make a quite different bikes. It may work or may not work. We will see. If it works that will be good for MM for Honda and for JM, AR. I also don't see mir as a fast rider but there is MM as no:1 so no worry for Honda.
Honda brought a very different bike this year and it proved to be a step in the wrong direction and as far as can be seen from what they are doing this season they don't quite know where they went wrong. They are testing different frames, swingarms, aero packages... and nothing seems to work. As for MM: Honda has had him in 2020-2022 seasons as well. But after his injury he was never really the same. And I think he will never be the same ruthless Marc that we all remember. He may get a win or 5, but he alone won't be enough to drag that Honda back up the order.

etusch wrote:
30 Aug 2022, 14:14
Today I watched a video; a Honda engineer talks about 2 years of engine development during 2 years of covid era and he said they changed more things on the engine than they used to change from season to season.
That is not unique to Honda, all manufacturers had the same thing. The reason being that engine development was very restricted in 2020 and 2021 to save on costs during pandemic when revenue was down. But for 2022. they could once again do big changes to the engine and basically everyone did. It is just that some made good progress with engine (like Ducati, Aprilia, Honda and to some extent Suzuki), whilst others dropped the ball (Yamaha).

etusch wrote:
30 Aug 2022, 14:18
Model name doesn't affect performance, so who cares if they change it. Suzuki since 2015 was GSX-RR, Yamaha is YZR-M1 since forever etc. Only Ducati seems to make clear distinction between their models by adding year number in the designation.

Although, to be frank, I expected Honda to move to RC214V this year since they made a lot of statements about how different this year's bike is in comparison to what they had in previous seasons.

aleks_ader

Maybe hot take, But for Yamaha i would not change anything drastically. Just made engine even more powerful. Clearly works for Fabio.
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

etusch

aleks_ader wrote:
01 Sep 2022, 01:22
Maybe hot take, But for Yamaha i would not change anything drastically. Just made engine even more powerful. Clearly works for Fabio.
Fabio was competitive when other riders also competitive with Yamaha. I wonder if he is like MM or Casey Stoner, I wonder what he will do with better bike which allow other riders to be competitive. It is a certain thing that japannes manufacturers will answer this powerfull ducati bikes at some point and I am quite excited to see how they will do it. Supplying competitive bike to satelite teams also important and I think Yamaha learned this with a painfull way.
You may noticed that Bagnaia tried to do wheelie a few times at last races but could not achieved. Maybe he is not good at wheelie but I am sure ducati is also not a wheelie bike but unti wheelie bike which give better acceleration.

johnny comelately
johnny comelately

Misano 2022 FP1
Quartararo (1:32.313) first absolutely on the limit and/or working with the new front wing on a track that has given favour to Ducartis in the past but suits the fine chassis's of the Yamaha and Suzukis.
Miller second
And amazingly wildcard test rider Michele Pirro third

etusch

Marc Marquez intending to ride at the Misano Test
Repsol Honda have confirmed the eight-time World Champion is satisfied with the condition of his arm and is travelling to Misano on Friday
Satisfied with the condition of his right arm, Repsol Honda Team’s Marc Marquez will travel to Misano with the intention of riding the Honda RC213V during the post-race Misano Test.

After two positive tests aboard a Honda CBR600RR at the MotorLand Aragon circuit on August 31st and September 2nd, Marquez has gained valuable knowledge on the condition of his arm. With the information gained and satisfied with the progress of his right humerus, Marquez will now travel to the San Marino GP with the intention of testing his physical condition further on his Honda RC213V during the test.

The eight-time World Champion will arrive in Misano on Friday evening to once again observe and work alongside the Repsol Honda Team and HRC before aiming to take to the circuit on Tuesday.

motogp.com

johnny comelately
johnny comelately

FP2