All kinds of news about F1.

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
LHamilton
LHamilton

Re: All kinds of news about F1.

chrstphrln wrote:
23 Jan 2024, 16:23
LHamilton wrote:
23 Jan 2024, 13:42
Which configuration is true? The one posted by F1 or by IFEMA? There is a big change..

Look at the roundabouts in relation to the pitch area.

Look at the roundabouts at the top, when you come out of the first tunnel (Valdebebas Tunnel). There is 3 roundabouts in succession. IFEMA shows you go all the way onto the third one, before the heading probably straight and later on turn into the purposeful racetrack area.

In F1s case, you only drive to the second roundabout, before heading into the purposeful racetrack area. You can see the difference also in the long, long sweeping turn in relation to where it cut the green pitch area. In F1s case, the sweeping turn barely, if at all, cuts the pitch area, whereas in IFEMAs case it does cut the pitch, albeit but slightly.

IFEMA: https://i.redd.it/layout-of-ifema-madri ... e80d0b7f71

F1: https://i.redd.it/2026-madrid-track-map ... cdbc103944
I don't even know what you mean. This looks to me like the same race track from a different, steeper perspective.
A few inaccuracies due to blending the aerial shot with the graphics, but other than that?

However, I share the criticism. To me, it doesn't look like a route that would allow for exciting overtaking maneuvers.
BEHOLD MY PAINTING SKILLS! :lol:

First and foremost. In the F1 and overhead picture, I added a RED circle to highlight the first roundabout after the Valdebebas Tunnel. ORANGE is the second roundabout and YELLOW is the third. The BLUE circle/marker is a statue that is right after the 2nd roundabout.

In the IFEMA picture, you can see that they would drive past the third roundabout, heading towards the street that is edgeing the racetrack area. The map shows the track crossing a big road before turning onto the purposeful racetrack area (Look at the PURPLE arrows). On the F1 track map, it gets onto the racetrack area AFTER the the 2nd roundabout and stays there. You can see the long sweeping turn never crosses the street. The GREEN marker shows where the IFEMA track goes in relation to the F1 track map.

I dont know if the IFEMA track map is intended to be exact. Because the sweeping turn in which it crosses a big road like that makes little sense. This big road I havent highlighted per say and can only be seen from the IFEMA picture and is by the long sweeping right hand turn, far to the right. On of the PURPLE arrows in the IFEMA picture does highlight it, but wasnt intended to do so when I drew it. More the highlight the curve in relation to the ground itself.

KimiRai
KimiRai

The reason various designs are circulating is that it is still on the draft stage, with many details left to be agreed. The location is definitely ugly but from what I've gathered it seems they're aware of that fact and they might try to "decorate" it a little bit, perhaps similar to what Miami did in its own way.

Sources say it will possibly have a long banked corner which could be quite nice, it makes sense as the track designers are Dromo, the same people who revitalised Zandvoort, for example, and that was a success. Although it is true we are tired of street circuits... it will replace one of the worst of the season, no matter how permanent it was.

I predict Madrid won't be as bad as people are making it out to be.

FW17

The 2 corners after exit from the second tunnel is going to be very tight, nothing to what shown in the track map. The first of those is right up against one of the IFEMA building.

LHamilton
LHamilton

Williams Esport have shown a virtual mocked lap of how it might look. Unless they do some heavy changes, I doubt it will be this fast. Especially the last part of the lap.

stonehenge
stonehenge

LHamilton wrote:
24 Jan 2024, 19:50
Williams Esport have shown a virtual mocked lap of how it might look. Unless they do some heavy changes, I doubt it will be this fast. Especially the last part of the lap.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1750197490526122234
These two corners look insanely dangerous:

https://i.imgur.com/DsRoV2I.png
https://i.imgur.com/193Xzj8.png

Vanja #66

stonehenge wrote:
24 Jan 2024, 20:01
These two corners look insanely dangerous:

https://i.imgur.com/DsRoV2I.png
https://i.imgur.com/193Xzj8.png
At the same time, that sequence is the only thing that looks good on this track. The banked loop is just meh. The short SF straight, the bend in the only real straight and the tedious sequence of 90 deg corners after the banked loop are horrible. It's not like other street circuits are great, but this one is really, really bad...
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

aMessageToCharlie
aMessageToCharlie

Looking at the Williams video clip, it seems they're targeting a new SC/red flag record. Some of these turns looks bonkers with barely any runoff.

But I think Saudi also looked way worse on the renderings than it turned out to be.

KimiRai
KimiRai

aMessageToCharlie wrote:
25 Jan 2024, 13:07
Looking at the Williams video clip, it seems they're targeting a new SC/red flag record. Some of these turns looks bonkers with barely any runoff.

But I think Saudi also looked way worse on the renderings than it turned out to be.
Yes, most likely the final product will differ quite a bit from those videos. Agree with Vanja#66 that those 90deg turns in the third sector are boring and in my opinion the worst part of the track so hopefully that area will be different.

stephen

Fans banned from track access at Australian Grand Prix
Stephen Marengo
My F1 favorites: Community | Team | Driver

DGP123
DGP123

stephen wrote:
25 Jan 2024, 20:59
Fans banned from track access at Australian Grand Prix
No surprise, given the early pit lane track breach at the end of the race last season.

organic

All launches confirmed

... in reverse championship order? :mrgreen:

stephen

Lando Norris signs new long-term F1 deal with McLaren that will see him stay with the British team beyond 2025.
Stephen Marengo
My F1 favorites: Community | Team | Driver

lio007

Another street circuit coming?

DGP123
DGP123

It’s clearly heading in this direction, so it wouldn't surprise me. Damon Hill said he had massive concerns this week, that it is morphing into a FE calendar, for maximum financial gain.

I did read last week that the engine regs coming in will suit street tracks more, and ultimately the cars will have less top end performance

All in all, F1 might be in a good position financially, but from a racing perspective, it’s going quickly down the pan.

De Wet

DGP123 wrote:
28 Jan 2024, 11:52
It’s clearly heading in this direction, so it wouldn't surprise me. Damon Hill said he had massive concerns this week, that it is morphing into a FE calendar, for maximum financial gain.

I did read last week that the engine regs coming in will suit street tracks more, and ultimately the cars will have less top end performance

All in all, F1 might be in a good position financially, but from a racing perspective, it’s going quickly down the pan.

Agree 100%....