Haas VF-22

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
continuum16

Re: Haas VF-22

Fer.Fan wrote:
21 Feb 2022, 18:20
Massive load on front wing, Haas are confident regarding downforce. If you compare with others teams their load on front wing is just massive. :o :o
I see this as one of two things: 1) like you say, they are confident regarding downforce and can afford to load up the front wing as much as possible, or 2) they are struggling for balance, so must run the front at full load to minimize potential understeer.

OR they just have the front wing cranked like this for the shakedown and will lower the angle when they run in earnest, honestly any of these are realistic in my view
"You can't argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"
- Mark Twain

basti313
basti313

JPower wrote:
21 Feb 2022, 16:40
That's good to know. Obviously Haas and others don't agree.
Well, benchmark is still Merc, isn't it?
I see no reason why the former F1.5 is now the benchmark. And I saw no similar vents on anyone else like on the Haas.

LM10 wrote:
21 Feb 2022, 16:41
I’m not talking about the vents directly in front of the rear wing like in case of Haas. I mean the vents on the sidepod. As for Ferrari for example there seems to be a reason and a theory why they put the vents into the tub region of the sidepod.
Well, from from the vents on top of the sidepod the air goes directly into the region I mentioned. They structure the sidepod in a way to aim for the gap ​under the rear wing.
This air needs to be guided, so they need to structure the sidepod for this. This is big compromise.
Just compare the Merc without these vents at all and the Ferrari, Haas, Aston, etc...that go with vents. On the Merc the air is going to the diffusor with a very slim bodywork. All rear axle is used for aero. On the cars with the top sidepod vents the bodywork extends bulky to the upper wishbone.

But this is not core of my argument, we can argue if the concept of Merc is better (I see no argument why not) or the top sidepod vents, best in the Merc or another thread. But the core topic for this thread is the Haas and it has the rather unique outlets at the top.

LM10 wrote:
21 Feb 2022, 16:41
Or let’s talk about Aston Martin which also has vents on the sidepod. That car has almost zero outlet around the exhaust. Why have they chosen to put vents on the sidepods instead of opening up at the back a bit?
Because they have to direct the air through the body work. If you open up, you need to open up all the way. For Aston with the flat and long sidepod they would need a crazy tubing to get the air efficiently back to the middle. In this case you better put the hot air out early...I guess it is similar for Haas. They either need a too big cover or the slits...and hot air is still better than no air on the rear wing.
Don`t russel the hamster!

JPower
JPower

basti313 wrote:
21 Feb 2022, 19:03
JPower wrote:
21 Feb 2022, 16:40
That's good to know. Obviously Haas and others don't agree.
Well, benchmark is still Merc, isn't it?
I see no reason why the former F1.5 is now the benchmark. And I saw no similar vents on anyone else like on the Haas.
They are the benchmark for what they are accomplishing with their equipment. If Haas had Mercedes' PU, their design might look different and vice versa.

Very likely to be multiple ways to get results in this set of regs. I don't think the W12 and RB16B shared much in terms of design philosophy last year either.

matt_s
matt_s

continuum16 wrote:
21 Feb 2022, 18:52
Fer.Fan wrote:
21 Feb 2022, 18:20
Massive load on front wing, Haas are confident regarding downforce. If you compare with others teams their load on front wing is just massive. :o :o
I see this as one of two things: 1) like you say, they are confident regarding downforce and can afford to load up the front wing as much as possible, or 2) they are struggling for balance, so must run the front at full load to minimize potential understeer.

OR they just have the front wing cranked like this for the shakedown and will lower the angle when they run in earnest, honestly any of these are realistic in my view
I agree. One of the things we've seen on other cars is the manipulation of the floor to try and bring some suction forward. Also, the fact that the 4th element is white makes it much more prominent than the black wings. The Merc wing is at least as cranked as that through the mid section.

Stu

basti313 wrote:
21 Feb 2022, 16:35
wogx wrote:
21 Feb 2022, 14:56
basti313 wrote:
21 Feb 2022, 14:32
A legal hole was never a good hole in F1 so far.
F-duct? S-duct?
Thank you, I had the same idea when writing. But this is a duct, not a hole. Happy to hear other ideas :D
The 2020 cars had lots of holes in their floors, you could see what effect they had all through 2021!!
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

Pandamasque

Is it just me or there's an abnormal amount of cut lines in the engine cover area? I get the removeable gills panel, but the stuff behind it looks like patchwork too.

RZS10

It's probably easier to produce and doesn't require massive new parts should they want to change some details here and there, might also give access to certain areas without taking the entire cover off.

AeroDynamic

tea tray area

misc shots

JPower
JPower

Honestly, grills or not, its a pretty clean design. I like it better than what Alpine just showed us in its renders. At the very least I'm hoping its drivers should be able to stay with the pack and fight this year.

timbo
timbo

Interesting, so the radiator inlet is a fair bit smaller than it looked at the first glance.

Mchamilton
Mchamilton

Nice little turning vane horn thing either side of the halo

Zynerji

Why do I feel that the renders were more advanced than what this shows?

I don't have those CFD eyes, but this almost looks plain in comparison to everyone else. It's like every cool trick they "found" got sent to Ferrari instead of being implemented on the VF22...

Mchamilton
Mchamilton

Zynerji wrote:
21 Feb 2022, 23:42
Why do I feel that the renders were more advanced than what this shows?

I don't have those CFD eyes, but this almost looks plain in comparison to everyone else. It's like every cool trick they "found" got sent to Ferrari instead of being implemented on the VF22...
Simply because the renders were purposely extreme

One and Only

Side pod inlets very similar to those on Ferrari. Paint job around them seems to be on purpose so it's less obvious.
"Don't you know there ain't no devil, it's just God when he's drunk." Tom Waits

LM10
LM10

basti313 wrote:
Well, from from the vents on top of the sidepod the air goes directly into the region I mentioned. They structure the sidepod in a way to aim for the gap ​under the rear wing.
This air needs to be guided, so they need to structure the sidepod for this. This is big compromise.
Just compare the Merc without these vents at all and the Ferrari, Haas, Aston, etc...that go with vents. On the Merc the air is going to the diffusor with a very slim bodywork. All rear axle is used for aero. On the cars with the top sidepod vents the bodywork extends bulky to the upper wishbone.
It's a question of concepts I'd say. I would not bet everything on the suggestion that having a slim bodywork is the only or best way to victory. The reason I say this is because the PUs and their cooling requirements didn't change - to the contrary, if any, they only got better. Aston Martin had a really slim bodywork last year, but come this year they have long and wide sidepods. Why?

basti313 wrote:
Because they have to direct the air through the body work. If you open up, you need to open up all the way. For Aston with the flat and long sidepod they would need a crazy tubing to get the air efficiently back to the middle. In this case you better put the hot air out early...I guess it is similar for Haas. They either need a too big cover or the slits...and hot air is still better than no air on the rear wing.
Several cars, namely Ferrari, Haas, Alfa Romeo, Aston Martin, Alpine and Alpha Tauri from what we've seen until now have decided to build wide and long sidepods - some more extreme than others. Or let's say wider and longer sidepods than in the past. Similar to what I've written above, my argument is that the PUs didn't change. So what made the teams choose their route? Have those which managed to build slim cars up until last year suddenly forgotten how to package or was it rather a conceptual decision?