Williams FW44

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
ENGINE TUNER
ENGINE TUNER

Re: Williams FW44

Jolle wrote:
17 Feb 2022, 13:11
Could the wider sidepod intakes have anything to do with running an air to air intercooler? I assume the rest of the cars we've seen so far run air-water-air intercoolers.
Merc have long been rumored to run both.

variante

That sidepod layout reminds me of a solution i tried a couple of years ago for the Mantium Challenge (an aero competition with "relaxed" F1 rules).

It was especially useful to catch the upwash coming from the front wing (this Williams looks like has a lot of it) and to shoot it where needed (down and out).

The youtuber "B Sport" (a former F1 aerodynamicist) described the Williams inlets as "parachutes". In fact, i expect to see larger outlets at some point, in accordance with my layout (although not to such extreme).

But it might as well be a totally unrelated concept... We shall see.

McMika98
McMika98

variante wrote:
20 Feb 2022, 00:41

It was especially useful to catch the upwash coming from the front wing (this Williams looks like has a lot of it) and to shoot it where needed (down and out).
The larger inlet area to catch upwash makes sense in that Williams have gone for a massive inboard loaded wing.
The downwash on the sidepod is the steepest so far, Gary A and other pundits werent a fan as it will creatw flow separation. The hole in the sidepod is ingenius if it works, no team will be able to copy the design this year.

Stu

variante wrote:
20 Feb 2022, 00:41
That sidepod layout reminds me of a solution i tried a couple of years ago for the Mantium Challenge (an aero competition with "relaxed" F1 rules).

https://i.imgur.com/Dvo34nN.png

https://i.imgur.com/l8TNYTX.png

The youtuber "B Sport" (a former F1 aerodynamicist) described the Williams inlets as "parachutes". In fact, i expect to see larger outlets at some point, in accordance with my layout (although not to such extreme).

But it might as well be a totally unrelated concept... We shall see.
I’m going to look foolish if I am wrong, but I happen to think that this is almost exactly what Ferrari are doing, except that their version operates vertically. If I were using the shapes that they are, it is certainly what I would be looking to do with the space available!!
‘IF’ you can control the airflow into the hollow section and create a nice volume (plenum) in the body; the outlet, correctly designed, will create thrust (due to the ‘ram-air’ effect occurring at the opening). This effect will vary with speed (in theory the faster the speed the more thrust that would be created, but the exact operating range would be determined by the whole design along with the external flows).
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

tomazy
tomazy

Here is an onboard of the first lap of FW44. Williams stuck with the buterfly stearing wheel with the disply on the chassis.
Link

the EDGE
the EDGE

tomazy wrote:
20 Feb 2022, 16:20
Here is an onboard of the first lap of FW44. Williams stuck with the buterfly stearing wheel with the disply on the chassis.
Link
Makes me wonder if the drivers prefer this position, I can't imagine it's too hard to put the display on the wheel

marvin78
marvin78

The steering wheel is much cheaper this was. That's the reason.

tomazy
tomazy

But, what are the advantages of display on the steering wheel?? I don't think that the drivers are looking at the display while turning anyway, so maybe only that te display is closer and is easier to see becouse of that?

ScrewCaptain27

tomazy wrote:
20 Feb 2022, 16:59
But, what are the advantages of display on the steering wheel?? I don't think that the drivers are looking at the display while turning anyway, so maybe only that te display is closer and is easier to see becouse of that?
It makes the steering wheel lighter and easier to turn, reducing effort required during the race distance.
"Stupid people do stupid things. Smart people outsmart each other, then themselves."
- Serj Tankian

nevill3

One of the reasons I read previously was that the wheel had less "inertia" due to it's lower weight. I think it was inertia :oops:
Sent from my Commodore PET in 1978

AeroDynamic

Full lap around Silverstone onboard with Latifi. Good footage – 1080pHD
The screen is still dash-based rather than designed into the wheel
Last edited by AeroDynamic on 20 Feb 2022, 19:09, edited 8 times in total.

tomazy
tomazy

nevill3 wrote:
20 Feb 2022, 17:24
One of the reasons I read previously was that the wheel had less "inertia" due to it's lower weight. I think it was inertia :oops:
ScrewCaptain27 wrote:
20 Feb 2022, 17:20
tomazy wrote:
20 Feb 2022, 16:59
It makes the steering wheel lighter and easier to turn, reducing effort required during the race distance.
I would think that the steering wheel with the display is havier, so that would be a disadvantage?

marvin78
marvin78

Alexander Wurz once said in an ORF live coverage that the only reason for this are the costs. One display in the car vs. several for a season.

Mattchu

For me the potential trouble is if the screen starts malfunctioning it`s not an easy swap out to get it (potentially) working again. We`ve seen several times drivers getting a steering wheel change because something went awry!

Nice video of the car in action, I know he wasn`t pushing it very much but the car did seem reasonably stable with just a few lock ups and twitches...hoping Williams do alright this year...

Big Tea

Would it also mean the driver can see the display just by dropping his eyeline rather than tilting the head/helmet?
I know the distance is very small but the closer to the eyes the smaller the focal shift becomes.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.