Williams FW44

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
pierrre

Re: Williams FW44

higher res. right click, open new tab then on the new tab click on the picture to get actual size

SmallSoldier

Would love to see a top view of the FW44… Interesting concept nevertheless!

Blackout

pierrre wrote:
16 Feb 2022, 06:06
higher res. right click, open new tab then on the new tab click on the picture to get actual size
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FLq7GxBXMAk ... name=large
Yes it looks like they moved their centerline cooling towards the front, closer to the engine, maybe in a more vertical and common angle, feeding it by the top roll-hoop inlet.
So why would they do this? Maybe like Alpine in '21 they increased its size in order to slim down the sidepods more, but maybe it couldnt fit anymore in its original place, and/or they did this for weight distribution reasons and put that mass in a more neutral place.

The older ones:

Mr Brooksy

There really seems to be some negative opinions of the FW44 from the big media outlets! Gary Anderson has been pretty short with his assessment, not to mention whoever that guy was with the video on the previous page.

A bit concerning...
WilliamsF1 fan since 1989

SmallSoldier

Mr Brooksy wrote:
16 Feb 2022, 08:07
There really seems to be some negative opinions of the FW44 from the big media outlets! Gary Anderson has been pretty short with his assessment, not to mention whoever that guy was with the video on the previous page.

A bit concerning...
Concerning? A couple years ago when the MCL35 was unveiled the media’s general consensus was that it was doomed to be 9th or 10th on the grid… Until it actually finished 3rd… I wouldn’t take too much out of comments before the cars have even hit the track.

In addition, there isn’t a lot of assessment that can be made out of a couple of pictures on track that don’t show all the details on the car… No need to be concerned just yet.

Stu

SmallSoldier wrote:
16 Feb 2022, 08:32
Mr Brooksy wrote:
16 Feb 2022, 08:07

A bit concerning...
Concerning? A couple years ago when the MCL35 was unveiled the media’s general consensus was that it was doomed to be 9th or 10th on the grid… Until it actually finished 3rd… I wouldn’t take too much out of comments before the cars have even hit the track.

In addition, there isn’t a lot of assessment that can be made out of a couple of pictures on track that don’t show all the details on the car… No need to be concerned just yet.
I agree, all that can be done is pontificate about what will be god/bad/indifferent at the moment, nobody has anything to really do any direct comparison with other cars.

There are some nice design touches on the Williams (tight side-pods, interesting floor-edge-wing, hidden stuff(!!!)). Too soon to say what elements are a good choice or not.
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

Moctecus

That's a seriously sharp (by F1 standards) crease next to the sidepod air intake. Has there been a recent car with a similar feature?

NicoS

Yes, I think it falls within the "safety structure" area, and is therefore exempt of minimum bodywork radius rules.
Similar to The "blanked off" "intakes" of AM.

Aerodynamically you would like more freedom
to use sharp angles / edges in order to separate and direct flow more efficiently were needed.
minimum radius is a serious constraint!

tok-tokkie

This picture seems to show that the intention to reduce the disturbed airflow has been achieved. There is a massive cloud of spray indicating that there is no confined (and thus concentrated) air stream in the wake.

jjn9128

Moctecus wrote:
16 Feb 2022, 09:26
That's a seriously sharp (by F1 standards) crease next to the sidepod air intake. Has there been a recent car with a similar feature?

https://i.imgur.com/JvdjStj.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/B3f8iwd.jpg
Okay okay... are they using the louver panel with 1/2 winglets to downwash over the SPod- i.e splitting the flow in the "rad" inlet using the SIS with the upper flow just passing straight through?! recreating a downwash winglet.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

AeroDynamic

tok-tokkie wrote:
16 Feb 2022, 10:43
This picture seems to show that the intention to reduce the disturbed airflow has been achieved. There is a massive cloud of spray indicating that there is no confined (and thus concentrated) air stream in the wake.
for More on this, click here

Mr Brooksy

AeroDynamic wrote:
16 Feb 2022, 11:01
tok-tokkie wrote:
16 Feb 2022, 10:43
More on this here
Thanks for that link, I'd not been to that discussion. Appreciated
Last edited by Mr Brooksy on 16 Feb 2022, 11:04, edited 1 time in total.
WilliamsF1 fan since 1989

Blackout

Couldn't find a good FW43B comparison pic, but FW43 is close enough 

FW17

Moctecus wrote:

Isn't the pull rod placed a lot higher on the gear box casing than on last year or is just a illusion?

It almost looks like the rockets are placed above the clutch and below the turbine.

JPBD1990

FW17 wrote:
16 Feb 2022, 11:06
Moctecus wrote:

https://i.imgur.com/B3f8iwd.jpg
Isn't the pull rod placed a lot higher on the gear box casing than on last year or is just a illusion?

It almost looks like the rockets are placed above the clutch and below the turbine.
I thought the same of the Alfa. I foresee this being a trend this season