Aston Martin AMR22

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
bagajohny
bagajohny

Re: Aston Martin AMR22

Top view comparison of AMR22 and VF22

nokivasara
nokivasara

bagajohny wrote:
10 Feb 2022, 19:02
Actual car at the launch event.

https://i.ibb.co/HPPkjZ2/h21q8ol2s0h81- ... -tta-1.png

https://ibb.co/YddqxgW
The cars look so much better with less rake!

godlameroso

AeroDynamic wrote:
10 Feb 2022, 17:53
the floor detail looks interesting, can someone who can see aero comment on this compared to the other floors so far?

https://i.imgur.com/pN1H3Jy.png
Hard to tell without seeing the under floor strakes. Those will determine what the airflow under the floor is going to do. When bodywork makes air turn into itself, or expand the static pressure rises. When bodywork converges it accelerates air. But when air reaches a critical speed, converging it will raise static pressure and expanding it will accelerate it further. The air going under the car can reach such speeds, but not the air going over the car.

Both AM and Haas are using a big undercut, and the final end fence to channel air over the floor, to raise the mass flow in that area. That area just happens to be the diffuser kick where the pressure is lowest. The edge wing is there to further raise the pressure above the floor and create a bigger differential between the tunnel and floor upper surface.
Saishū kōnā

AeroDynamic

in this render, there are vertical slots towards the edge of the rear wing down the side plate. They aren't there on the real built car in the reveal photos or even some of the other renders?

in this render below, its only appearing on the left side plate of the rear wing?
Last edited by AeroDynamic on 10 Feb 2022, 20:00, edited 2 times in total.

siskue2005

cooling louvers have to sit inside this box - again AM look to have maximized the area they can use

LM10
LM10

The two launched cars (I don’t mention RedBull) look significantly different to each other - already visible at the first look. I would have not expected it to be that clear. But I love it. Exciting to see the totally different approaches.

AeroDynamic

Stu

timbo wrote:
10 Feb 2022, 18:47
JordanMugen wrote:
10 Feb 2022, 18:02
timbo wrote:
10 Feb 2022, 16:37
Are there minimum radius rules for the sidepods? The transition from the flat panel to the rest of the sidepod is quite sharp.
Yes. What flat panel do you mean?

I don't think the minimum radius rule applies to the junction of the floor and the sidepod.
The flat area right next to the intakes.
https://i.postimg.cc/FsF3TBqy/2022-02-10-19-46-04.png
The more I look at that the more convinced I am that the outer ‘flat’ section is recessed at the bottom. Almost as it it is a filler panel.
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

Stu

Just_a_fan wrote:
10 Feb 2022, 18:59
michl420 wrote:
10 Feb 2022, 18:51
That front wing adjusters on the inside will need two "enthusiastic" mechanic for a 2 sec pit stop. :lol:
The hinge design is also obviously designed to shed a vortex with that nice big triangle of metal sticking up in to the airflow at a slight angle to the stream.
There also doesn’t seem to be an outer part of the hinge, are they using the remaining outer section as a very big flexure hinge?
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

Big Tea

It still looks strange to only have one tail pipe. Like something missing
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Stu wrote:
10 Feb 2022, 20:09
Just_a_fan wrote:
michl420 wrote:
That front wing adjusters on the inside will need two "enthusiastic" mechanic for a 2 sec pit stop. :lol:
The hinge design is also obviously designed to shed a vortex with that nice big triangle of metal sticking up in to the airflow at a slight angle to the stream.
There also doesn’t seem to be an outer part of the hinge, are they using the remaining outer section as a very big flexure hinge?
There's something visible in this image at the far end of the front wing. Another little metal triangle. I'm guessing that it is the location of a hinge point.

If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

timbo
timbo

Do you think radiators are set something like this (side not important)?
I.e. cooling system takes most of the area of the sidepod, or the sidepod size is only to condition the flow over the floor?

Stu

Just_a_fan wrote:
10 Feb 2022, 20:22
Stu wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:

There's something visible in this image at the far end of the front wing. Another little metal triangle. I'm guessing that it is the location of a hinge point.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FLPsB_XVkAg ... name=large
Certainly looks like it.
It would also appear that both elements (3 & 4) adjust.

BassVirolla

jjn9128 wrote:
10 Feb 2022, 18:20
The venturi looks like it's doing this... or am i seeing things?!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FLP33lMWUAM ... name=large
The two "kinks" could serve to energize the flow to prevent stalling of the diffusser and keep the flow attached while working the floor harder than possible without the kinks? :wtf:

the EDGE
the EDGE

Stu wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:
michl420 wrote:
Are you not really reading to much into a render of a FW? I mean, only one side of the car has a pushrod

It’s great to finally see a proper impression of a 22 car, but the detail will be vastly different on track, including having proper cooling outlets, suitable for the ambient temperature conditions on that day

Looking forward to see how other teams have handled the sidepod designs before they all converge on the same idea again. It will be interesting to see who’s got the overall airflow philosophy correct