Aston Martin AMR22

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Hoffman900
Hoffman900

Re: Aston Martin AMR22

BlueCheetah66 wrote:
10 Feb 2022, 18:18
I wonder what the idea is behind the large sidepods. Maybe it is to optimise flow to the beam wing. Maybe they have done it to maximise the use of the cooling louvres so that they only need a tiny cooling outlet at the back
The correct answer is probably “some of all of that”

I don’t think they’re large. They are just long and high, but probably volume wise similar to Haas when you take in account the undercut. It’s almost like a waist high tunnel alongside the car more than anything.
Last edited by Hoffman900 on 10 Feb 2022, 18:21, edited 3 times in total.

Fer.Fan wrote:
10 Feb 2022, 18:04
AeroDynamic wrote:
10 Feb 2022, 17:53
the floor detail looks interesting, can someone who can see aero comment on this compared to the other floors so far?

https://i.imgur.com/pN1H3Jy.png
I think Haas concept looks far better. To have so many gills for cooling is not good for aero. Basic concept of Adrian Newey is to have tight rear and sloping engine cover. Aston Martin concept of huge undercat is far less stabile aero concept.
DF generation is quite different with the new cars. The importance of smooth, unencumbered airflow in that area has now reduced to a point where the cost/benefit is such that AM are happy to maybe carry less cooling and vent at source with disrupted airflow vs. a cleaner exterior without gills and extract through the rear. Scarbs even said he expects to see more of this solution from others.
Team ANTI-HYPE. Prove it, then I’ll anoint you.

jjn9128

The venturi looks like it's doing this... or am i seeing things?!

#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

Zynerji

If the louvers have laminar exits, it could prevent flow separation along the entire top of the sidepod. I wonder if we will see any "inductive flow" sidepods now... with entrances that are not in the direction of the airstream, and just using the pressure differential caused by the gills to "suck" air into the sidepod from another inlet location...🤔😁

Hoffman900
Hoffman900

jjn9128 wrote:
10 Feb 2022, 18:20

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FLP33lMWUAM ... name=large
I can see them purposely hiding internal geometry some, or misrepresenting it.

Emag
Emag

AeroDynamic wrote:
the floor detail looks interesting, can someone who can see aero comment on this compared to the other floors so far?

We have seen this before. The tip of the cutout generates a vortex which helps seal the floor.

Ashwinv16

Fer.Fan wrote:
AeroDynamic wrote:

I think Haas concept looks far better. To have so many gills for cooling is not good for aero. Basic concept of Adrian Newey is to have tight rear and sloping engine cover. Aston Martin concept of huge undercat is far less stabile aero concept.
Yep, but that's for a flat floor. For a curved floor, with the venturi tunnels. Having undercut helps to emulate a second tier like situation. So air flowing under the floor and right above the floor will have a similar profile(Obviously different speed and potential energy and pressure diffrentials). So a undercut design is actually more stable for this generation of cars, but it causes more drag and higher centre of gravity and likely switch to pushrod rear suspension (renders still show pullrod, but I don't think so). But in exchange there will be a massive downforce advantage as well. Haas's tight coke bottle concept on the other hand, is less draggy and well it does give more room for air to flow to the back thus better control when it comes to the rear wings. The undercut floor though give more flow control tothe two large winglets below the rear wing. Basically, if all created equal with no flaws, expect the Haas to be faster in Monza, Austria and low drag tracks, and Aston to be faster in High-Medium downforce tracks
Halo not as bad as we thought

JRodrigues
JRodrigues

Re: Aston Martin AMR22 Speculation Thread

yinlad wrote:
10 Feb 2022, 18:01

rear wings aren't adjusted, they have a range of fixed level wings. Short of adding/removing gurney flaps they aren't adjustable like a front wing
So you're saying they can't adjust the angle of the wing the entire weekend without the need to remove them?

If not, I call them to be adjustable.

yinlad

Re: Aston Martin AMR22 Speculation Thread

JRodrigues wrote:
10 Feb 2022, 18:25
yinlad wrote:
10 Feb 2022, 18:01

rear wings aren't adjusted, they have a range of fixed level wings. Short of adding/removing gurney flaps they aren't adjustable like a front wing
So you're saying they can't adjust the angle of the wing the entire weekend without the need to remove them?

If not, I call them to be adjustable.
That is correct, they often test multiple rear wing options in practice but it's locked in from Quali onwards
MVRC - Panthera

Hoffman900
Hoffman900

Ashwinv16 wrote:
10 Feb 2022, 18:25
Fer.Fan wrote:
AeroDynamic wrote:

Yep, but that's for a flat floor. For a curved floor, with the venturi tunnels. Having undercut helps to emulate a second tier like situation. So air flowing under the floor and right above the floor will have a similar profile(Obviously different speed and potential energy and pressure diffrentials). So a undercut design is actually more stable for this generation of cars, but it causes more drag and higher centre of gravity and likely switch to pushrod rear suspension (renders still show pullrod, but I don't think so). But in exchange there will be a massive downforce advantage as well. Haas's tight coke bottle concept on the other hand, is less draggy and well it does give more room for air to flow to the back thus better control when it comes to the rear wings. The undercut floor though give more flow control tothe two large winglets below the rear wing. Basically, if all created equal with no flaws, expect the Haas to be faster in Monza, Austria and low drag tracks, and Aston to be faster in High-Medium downforce tracks
These design concept differences may give some indication of the engine power. If the Ferrari is also slippery design, vs the Merc powered cars going with a draggier but better df design, it will offer more clues in that regard.

Mat-tes
Mat-tes

That is quite a sharp turn below the undercut, I wonder how much air they can turn with that sort of shape.
It's a bit hard to see on the limited set of pictures we have so far, but doesn't it look like a sort of opening where the diffusor steps up? Theres an odd joint/assembly there and I can't tell if there's a kind of Naka duct there or else, I guess not but it looks odd.

timbo
timbo

JordanMugen wrote:
10 Feb 2022, 18:02
timbo wrote:
10 Feb 2022, 16:37
Are there minimum radius rules for the sidepods? The transition from the flat panel to the rest of the sidepod is quite sharp.
Yes. What flat panel do you mean?

I don't think the minimum radius rule applies to the junction of the floor and the sidepod.
The flat area right next to the intakes.

F1NAC

Mat-tes wrote:
10 Feb 2022, 18:32
https://ibb.co/GW68Vg8
That is quite a sharp turn below the undercut, I wonder how much air they can turn with that sort of shape.
It's a bit hard to see on the limited set of pictures we have so far, but doesn't it look like a sort of opening where the diffusor steps up? Theres an odd joint/assembly there and I can't tell if there's a kind of Naka duct there or else, I guess not but it looks odd.
Isn't that usually position where they place IR cameras for monitoring the rears ?

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

jjn9128 wrote:
10 Feb 2022, 18:20

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FLP33lMWUAM ... name=large
I think your first kink is an optical illusion caused by the way the sidepod meets the floor externally in that area.

If you are correct, would having two steps be a useful thing to do?
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

michl420
michl420

That front wing adjusters on the inside will need two "enthusiastic" mechanic for a 2 sec pit stop. :lol: