Ferrari F1-75

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Vanja #66

Re: Ferrari F1-75

SiLo wrote:
25 Mar 2022, 20:17
So the lower front portion of the sidepods on the Ferrari, along with the turning vanes at the entrance of the tunnel?
I guess if you look top down, the undercut on the sidepod follows almost the same shape as the vanes that run below the tunnel, so I guess they are using all of that to create a huge outwash effect.
Yes, they do have the same shape, but I'm not sure it's just about the same effect. Upper floor surface ahead of the sidepods is curved (convex shape) on all cars, some more, some less. RB has a really pronounced curve. This speeds the air up, lowers the pressure and sets the scene for a floor sealing vortex. The floor underside here is high pressure zone influenced by converging geometry with the help of turning vanes (image link).

Having a convex curvature speeds up the airflow, concave slows it down. Floor surface is convex, sidepod-floor joint is concave. This concave line increases pressure, which also increases the pressure difference and speed at which the air is going over F1-75 floor curve. I'm not gonna have the time to do a decent floor model for CFD any time soon sadly (lots of stuff changed this week for me), so I made a rough pressure illustration of the top of the floor, to the best of my abilities.

Floor vortex might be initialized at the transition between outboard vane and floor top surface, Ferrari has a really small radius here, while RB has a big double curvature surface. All of this is setting a scene for a stable and strong vortex going all the way to the rear tyre.

Andi76 wrote:
25 Mar 2022, 23:11
Correct me if i am wrong, but doesn't the pressurisation Ferrari is doing under the sidepod inlets help in relation to the front tyre wake? I even thougt about this area to be one of the key elements. Wouldn't this pressurisation propagate forwards and give additional downwash on the floor leading edge and improve the performance of the underfloor? I could be wrong here, as i have not analysed all the cars in this particular area in such detail, but from memory i would say that all the teams that got better are doing this, while all the teams not doing this or to a much lesser extent, got worse or have problems. And i think its fair to say Ferrari is the most extreme in that area followed by Red Bull. And they seem to be the two best cars. Haas has taken a similar approach and is also doing well...thats also something that Gary probably has not recognized. But maybe i am overstimating it. Probably, as i am far from having Garys knowledge.
Yes, all of those things happen still. In my view, sidepods are simply too far away from front tyres to have as big of an influence as bargeboards used to have. That being said, I think F1-75 sidepod design is about floor sealing as well, as described above. If we look at RB18 sidepods, their shape is the least aggressive of all, yet their aero looks slightly more efficient than Ferrari and seems like they generate almost the same amount of downforce.

PlatinumZealot wrote:
26 Mar 2022, 01:08
I don't think it's that simple because this would have applied to last years cars too and no one chose big side pods to get less drag last year! So I don't buy the lower drag on rear tyre theory. But I do consider that other things are being achieved in that area of course.
Aero rules were very different last year and, overall, sidepod aero philosophy was slowly evolving since 2009-2010 already. There were many other bits and bobs allowed, which have had a big influence on overall aero design and where the sidepods were in all of that. Y250 vortex is the biggest thing missing and this changed many things. All of this easily explains why this kind of design might not have been the way to go earlier.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

codetower

PlatinumZealot wrote:
LostInTranslation wrote:
25 Mar 2022, 19:19
As Vanja explained in another thread, the wide Ferrari sidepods have mainly the function of protecting and defending the wide rear wheels from the direct flow of air that goes (in the case of the other teams) to hit or slam on them, creating a drag. Brave solution? I would say yes.
I don't think it's that simple because this would have applied to last years cars too and no one chose big side pods to get less drag last year! So I don't buy the lower drag on rear tyre theory. But I do consider that other things are being achieved in that area of course.

I think the big side pods are to control the upper wake from the front wheels messing with the rear wing.

For the front of the floor.
The ferrari front barge board area I think is for out-wash, and also as an air dam to increase the pressure of the air going through the front vanes. Red Bull doesn't have this so RedBull are working the floor a different way.
The wheels are bigger this year. They may not have seen enough of a benefit of adding bigger side pods last year.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

PlatinumZealot wrote:
LostInTranslation wrote:
As Vanja explained in another thread, the wide Ferrari sidepods have mainly the function of protecting and defending the wide rear wheels from the direct flow of air that goes (in the case of the other teams) to hit or slam on them, creating a drag. Brave solution? I would say yes.
I don't think it's that simple because this would have applied to last years cars too and no one chose big side pods to get less drag last year!
That's because we had bargeboards last year. Many teams have chosen to use the sidepod as a bargeboard this season because of the crack down on the cheese grater solutions.

Mchamilton
Mchamilton

Sains bouncing like they did in Barcelona

LM10
LM10

Mchamilton wrote:
26 Mar 2022, 17:04
Yea, I don’t know why that’s such an important topic for you as a Mercedes fan to mention it several times on here. If one of the drivers is bouncing clearly more than the other one in practice, then you can be sure of setup preferences between them or simply testing out something.
Last edited by LM10 on 26 Mar 2022, 17:10, edited 1 time in total.

JPower
JPower

Mchamilton wrote:
Probably running a softer setup than Leclerc.

dialtone
dialtone

LM10 wrote:
26 Mar 2022, 17:09
Mchamilton wrote:
Yea, I don’t know why that’s such an important topic for you as a Mercedes fan to mention it several times on here. If one of the drivers is bouncing clearly more than the other one in practice, then you can be sure of setup preferences between them or simply testing out something.
I would stress that the majority of the Merc fan narrative is "oh we're bouncing so we had to raise the car to get lapping but lost performance, soon as we fix it we're there"... If Ferrari is bouncing and giving 0.5s in Q3 and 1s in race pace then the narrative will be hard to sustain.

PlatinumZealot

AR3-GP wrote:
26 Mar 2022, 15:29
PlatinumZealot wrote:
LostInTranslation wrote:
I don't think it's that simple because this would have applied to last years cars too and no one chose big side pods to get less drag last year!
That's because we had bargeboards last year. Many teams have chosen to use the sidepod as a bargeboard this season because of the crack down on the cheese grater solutions.
Different area of the car.

Ferrari replicated the aggressive bargeboard shape with the lower front part of the side pod but RedBull didn't.

Near the rear wheel Ferrari is closer and more shielded... RedBull is not. Yet RedBull is the lower drag car. So I don't think things are quite clear yet.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

PlatinumZealot wrote:
26 Mar 2022, 17:17
AR3-GP wrote:
26 Mar 2022, 15:29
PlatinumZealot wrote:

Different area of the car.

Ferrari replicated the aggressive bargeboard shape with the lower front part of the side pod but RedBull didn't.

Near the rear wheel Ferrari is closer and more shielded... RedBull is not. Yet RedBull is the lower drag car. So I don't think things are quite clear yet.
We can't make drag comparisons between the different concepts because teams are running different wings.

PlatinumZealot

Exactly my point. The cars work differently so isolating different parts of the car and saying another is lacking this or that is quite bold. With the statements made here you would think the Ferrari would be faster on the straights even with a slightly steeper rear wing! (as Mercedes could do in 2021) so clearly things are not so simple.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

BlueCheetah66
BlueCheetah66

Looking at Leclerc's telelmetry for his fastest lap on F1Tempo, For most of the corners he doesn't completely come off throttle. He maintains a bit of throttle through most corners. Is this just an error or just Leclerc trying to maximise the exit

JPower
JPower

BlueCheetah66 wrote:
26 Mar 2022, 17:59
Looking at Leclerc's telelmetry for his fastest lap on F1Tempo, For most of the corners he doesn't completely come off throttle. He maintains a bit of throttle through most corners. Is this just an error or just Leclerc trying to maximise the exit
He's done that since he's been in F1. Yes, most likely to stabilize the car on exit.

vorticism

That image from Vanja makes me think having the flat topped sidepod so far over the front of the floor helps reduce the lift of the floor inlet. It's like stacking a flat surface on the top of an airfol--reduces the lift it can produce. The floor would be less prone to pitching up during porpoising.
𓄀

N21
N21

Not sure if anyone noted or if it has been mentioned before but the front wing sections on either side appear to be separated - by two metal parts - in an inside and outside section. The outside sections (on the end plate side) appear to be flexing while the inside section on the nose side remains in position

siskue2005

N21 wrote:
26 Mar 2022, 23:42
Not sure if anyone noted or if it has been mentioned before but the front wing sections on either side appear to be separated - by two metal parts - in an inside and outside section. The outside sections (on the end plate side) appear to be flexing while the inside section on the nose side remains in position
its similar type to merc front wing