Ferrari F1-75

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Spacepace

Re: Ferrari F1-75

organic wrote:
09 Oct 2022, 16:19
The car ate the tyres in the wet. Similar to Imola, but worse in terms of degradation. Look at right front of Leclerc compared to others:

https://i.imgur.com/2QIgxBg.png

other comparison

https://i.imgur.com/7qKu3sY.png

Compared to RB:

https://i.imgur.com/ffy0uRH.png

The rears are also bad, with almost no tread in the central section for the F1-75

Maybe they went with a drier setup than if the weather prediction was more stable, but still tricky
That would be wear though not degradation

tpe
tpe

The last race I remember where F1-75 had good (if not great) tyre management was Austria. After that race, either RB did a breakthrough with their setup, or Ferrari went backwards.

Vanja #66

organic wrote:
The car ate the tyres in the wet.
Maybe they went with a drier setup than if the weather prediction was more stable, but still tricky
Since TD39 the car is always compromised setup-wise. Nevertheless, Leclerc likely shot his tyres with that 1:44.489 lap, and it was clear he quickly degraded after that. Also, RW was on the edge for dry conditions and certainly too low for wet, contrary to RB; while suspension setup was also likely oriented towards dry conditions, judging by tyre behaviour.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

FDD
FDD

Vanja #66 wrote:
10 Oct 2022, 09:00
organic wrote:
The car ate the tyres in the wet.
Since TD39 the car is always compromised setup-wise. Nevertheless, Leclerc likely shot his tyres with that 1:44.489 lap, and it was clear he quickly degraded after that. Also, RW was on the edge for dry conditions and certainly too low for wet, contrary to RB; while suspension setup was also likely oriented towards dry conditions, judging by tyre behaviour.
Mattia Binotto also stated that "...Leclerc likely shot his tyres with that 1:44.489 lap..." plus the set-up problem linked with TD39:

“We saw the deterioration of the tires already on Friday - said the team principal of the Scuderia - I think that by pushing too hard on the first lap, we simply destroyed the front tires in a way that it was not possible to recover. So we have to review everything together with Charles and the engineers, maybe he attacked a bit too much to try to close the gap ”.

codetower

Curious quote by Binotto. So the F1-75 cannot be pushed as hard as the Red Bull? or is he suggesting that had Leclerc driven slower to begin with, he would have been able to make up the 20 something odd seconds to catch Verstappen later in the race? It seems Verstappen still had tires left at the end even pushing as hard as he was.

I don’t know, it seems to me that the F1-75 is what it is; Second fastest car on the grid, with arguably the second fastest driver on the grid. Until they get the tire degradation under control, it’ll be very difficult to fight for wins.

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

codetower wrote:
10 Oct 2022, 13:17
Curious quote by Binotto. So the F1-75 cannot be pushed as hard as the Red Bull? or is he suggesting that had Leclerc driven slower to begin with, he would have been able to make up the 20 something odd seconds to catch Verstappen later in the race? It seems Verstappen still had tires left at the end even pushing as hard as he was.

I don’t know, it seems to me that the F1-75 is what it is; Second fastest car on the grid, with arguably the second fastest driver on the grid. Until they get the tire degradation under control, it’ll be very difficult to fight for wins.
I think the inters behave similarly to the normal racing compounds. Teams always talk about bringing the tyre in before upping the pace. It has to warm uniformly deep into the carcass of the tyre before you can push it. Which is why fast outlaps generally are costly over a stint length.

codetower

101FlyingDutchman wrote:
10 Oct 2022, 13:20
codetower wrote:
10 Oct 2022, 13:17

I think the inters behave similarly to the normal racing compounds. Teams always talk about bringing the tyre in before upping the pace. It has to warm uniformly deep into the carcass of the tyre before you can push it. Which is why fast outlaps generally are costly over a stint length.
Makes sense, and it could well be the reason he fell so far behind after about 5 laps of pursuit. Maybe he could have hung on a little longer, but still leaves me with the same impression of the F1-75. The RB can come out of the gate firing 45.1's 45.0, 45.4 and still hold on to their tyres whereas the F1 cannot. So is it just a matter of falling behind right out of the gate trying to warm up the tyres, or keeping close then falling back 6-7 laps in once they are gone? Seems like a no-win situation either way. I suppose it would have kept hiim a little more comfortable ahead of Perez, but still #2 at best.

organic

I am convinced that it is. The modified bottom was rated well on dry, but more work needs to be done on it. Binotto confirmed after the race that it was the last update of the season

organic

https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... abnutzung/
Apparently, the Ferrari drivers also avoided taking the curbs of the finish corner too hard. The competition was more aggressive here. Maybe the Italian six-cylinder turbo doesn't like being shaken up too much. Reliability has been a headache for Ferrari on several occasions. The valves should cause problems. The old strength on curbs that you had at the beginning of the season is gone.
AMuS agrees with Duchessa report that Ferrari had to avoid some kerbs again at Suzuka, even with the loosened Td39

FDD
FDD

Interesting, Mattia Binotto (it.motorsport.com google translate):

“That there have been changes to the funds to apply the TD39 yes, that we have affected performance no. I keep saying that that was not the reason why we lost competitiveness, especially as Hungary came before Belgium ”.
“Already in Hungary we had lost our brilliance. It wasn't the TD that affected our performance, but Red Bull's ability to develop their car hurt us. We didn't find as much performance as they did, but in the rest of the grid, apart from Mercedes that started further away, we kept our position… ”.

f1316
f1316

FDD wrote:
12 Oct 2022, 15:20
Interesting, Mattia Binotto (it.motorsport.com google translate):

“That there have been changes to the funds to apply the TD39 yes, that we have affected performance no. I keep saying that that was not the reason why we lost competitiveness, especially as Hungary came before Belgium ”.
“Already in Hungary we had lost our brilliance. It wasn't the TD that affected our performance, but Red Bull's ability to develop their car hurt us. We didn't find as much performance as they did, but in the rest of the grid, apart from Mercedes that started further away, we kept our position… ”.
There may a certain political motivation to the above phrasing given the cost cap issues going on - Binotto saying that Red Bull’s development rate won them the championship may well be in anticipation that a team whose overspend in 2021 was only just discovered is unlikely to have changed their accounting methods in 2022.

Re tyre deg in Japan, a few things:

- Leclerc was right behind Max going into the pits but lost ~4 seconds in the pits when he was held to allow Perez to stop and avoid an unsafe release
- this put a car in between (I think it was Mick) who Leclerc had to immediately overtake
- he then close in on Max by something like 2 seconds on the following laps. After that he dropped away dramatically

So it’s not like Max was able to push immediately and Charles wasn’t - Charles went much harder out of the gate than Max.

PlatinumZealot

This. The Ferrari is designed more conservatively than the RedBull so their scope of improvement is much smaller.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Xyz22
Xyz22

organic

Xyz22 wrote:
19 Oct 2022, 17:56
Just to expand out the thread a bit:

Sevach
Sevach

tpe wrote:
09 Oct 2022, 20:41
The last race I remember where F1-75 had good (if not great) tyre management was Austria. After that race, either RB did a breakthrough with their setup, or Ferrari went backwards.
They were fine in France, Leclerc was extending and still going very fast vs Max who pitted first.
And Sainz went full attack on softs for more than half the race and everybody questioned their decision to bring him in since was still much faster than Russel and Perez when they called him.

Hungary was weird but Leclerc had good pace and durability on anything that wasn't the hard tire.