Ferrari F1-75

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
AeroDynamic

Re: Ferrari F1-75

#AMuS

Peter Ian Staker
Peter Ian Staker

Info on the new spec floor.
https://www.formu1a.uno/rimbalzo-aerodi ... ospensivi/
Ferrari, for example, suffered the most during the filming day, when it took to the track with a rather soft set-up, but then retraced its steps, managing to manage it satisfactorily during the first day. It returned, in part, on the second day of testing as they tried out the set-up sought the previous evening in the Maranello simulator.

The problem is not impossible to solve and not even that difficult in general. All it would take is a few tweaks, which would lose a lot of performance. However, this is F1. The primary objective of the teams is not just to eliminate the problem, but first and foremost to maintain the aerodynamic load set, working on containing the problem. Teams are always looking for the limit between the stable condition and where the problem starts to occur.

On the third day of testing, Ferrari took to the track an updated version of the underbody, which goes in the direction of being able to go to slightly lower heights without porpoising. A change, even of a few millimetres, in ground clearance in fast driving does in fact lead to drastic changes (increase or decrease) in aerodynamic load. A cut-out has been created precisely where the Venturi tunnels have their smallest section at high speeds; this helps to vent the air externally and limit aerodynamic lock-up. That area is then monitored with sensors that measure its flexing because that's where the teams try to flex the outer parts of the bottom.

AeroDynamic

GrrG

Sevach
Sevach

I think the holes in the diffuser wall got bigger with this new floor.

The mechanics should be more careful with this modern piece of art lol.

Andi76
Andi76

GrrG wrote:
25 Feb 2022, 15:21
Andi76 wrote:
25 Feb 2022, 14:21
ryaan2904 wrote:
25 Feb 2022, 13:56

I wish Rory wasn't as old as he is. Rory vs Newey would be a sight to see.
Absolutely. But even if Rory did not design the car and actually worked mainly from Phuket, i think there is a lot of his signature on this car. Sidepods, the small undercut similar to the one he introduced on the F2003 GA, the airbox, sidepods...seems like he had an reasonable of input. But of course its not the same if he would have been in charge of the design. But at least, for the first time since the F2007, and even if is was as an adviser only, Rory was involved in the design of a new car, instead of just making an existing design faster. And it makes a lot of sense to listen to Rory, i think. He is probably the one and only technician left with a reasonable amount of experience with a "ground-effect"-cars, as he was Tolemans designer in the first, early 80's F1 ground effect-car era.
David Sanchez was the aerodynamicist of the mcl mp4-26, in ferrari he re-proposed the same concept
So it was David Sanchez who copied what Rory Byrne did on the B195 and F399... but where do you know from it was his proposal and not Rory remembering one of his old ideas and solutions?
Last edited by Andi76 on 25 Feb 2022, 21:30, edited 3 times in total.

gastonmazzacane

@Andi76, what does B195, F399 and F1-75 sidepods have in common?

Sevach
Sevach

gastonmazzacane wrote:
25 Feb 2022, 21:01
High shoulders.

Andi76
Andi76

Andi76 wrote:
25 Feb 2022, 20:57
GrrG wrote:
25 Feb 2022, 15:21
Andi76 wrote:
25 Feb 2022, 14:21

Absolutely. But even if Rory did not design the car and actually worked mainly from Phuket, i think there is a lot of his signature on this car. Sidepods, the small undercut similar to the one he introduced on the F2003 GA, the airbox, sidepods...seems like he had an reasonable of input. But of course its not the same if he would have been in charge of the design. But at least, for the first time since the F2007, and even if is was as an adviser only, Rory was involved in the design of a new car, instead of just making an existing design faster. And it makes a lot of sense to listen to Rory, i think. He is probably the one and only technician left with a reasonable amount of experience with a "ground-effect"-cars, as he was Tolemans designer in the first, early 80's F1 ground effect-car era.
David Sanchez was the aerodynamicist of the mcl mp4-26, in ferrari he re-proposed the same concept
So it was David Sanchez who copied what Rory Byrne did on the B195 and F399... Rory was the mentor of Ferraris Technical and Design Team for this car and he was supposed to overview the whole design and its process. He did a lot of work for this car. And Rory had a lot to say and in what direction to take. I know this. And even if Rory did most work from his home in Phuket - the F1-75 obviously has Rory Byrne signature all over it, its far more likely Rory remembered one of his old ideas and they made use of it. Ferrari always turned towards Rory and asked him for help when the were in the s.it. and we all know where Ferraris was in the last 2 Seasons... also it was widely reported last year how Ferrari reshuffled their design team and that Ferrari asked Rory to take more responsibility. And as this car obviously has so many Rory Byrne signature from front to back, as even the whole concept literally smells like Rory - and as he was the one who invented these kind of sidepods - i do not think it has anything to do with David Sanchez copying Rorys idea once on a McLaren. But at the end of the day - it does not matter if David Sanchez made the proposal and Rory remembered its advantages from the B195 and F399 and agreed to give it a try, or if Rory himself came up with the advise to make use of these kind of sidepods. The only thing that counts is that it works like intended! But on the other hand i am really interested now who had the idea about these sidepods. I will ask Rory about them. But as Ferraris contracts(and he still has one)are very strict in that regard - i do not know if he is even allowed to say who came up with the idea.
Last edited by Andi76 on 25 Feb 2022, 21:45, edited 1 time in total.

Andi76
Andi76

gastonmazzacane wrote:

Dear Gaston, you as a former F1 Driver should recognize that better than I do :wink: The sidepods of the B195, F399, MP4-26 and the F1-75 all have high-shoulders obviously....sure, the F1-75s tube-sidepods purpose probably is a little bit different, but at the end of the day its the same idea, executed in a different way to serve the requirements of todays regulary. But its about the idea and the solution. And thats pretty much the same idea.

GrrG

Flows F1-75

GrrG

Difference Mcl 36

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

GrrG wrote:
25 Feb 2022, 23:03
Difference Mcl 36

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FMctcwHWQAY ... =4096x4096
Nothing to be inferred from those pics as a comparison. One is in a straight line (MCL36) , the Ferrari is clearly in a left turn looking at the suspension slant, air and vortices will be totally different

Sevach
Sevach

A lot of people focussed on the floor slot today, with that said i think the diffuser ramp got expanded laterally also.

gastonmazzacane

Andi76 wrote:
25 Feb 2022, 21:13
gastonmazzacane wrote:

Dear Gaston, you as a former F1 Driver should recognize that better than I do :wink: The sidepods of the B195, F399, MP4-26 and the F1-75 all have high-shoulders obviously....sure, the F1-75s tube-sidepods purpose probably is a little bit different, but at the end of the day its the same idea, executed in a different way to serve the requirements of todays regulary. But its about the idea and the solution. And thats pretty much the same idea.
Interesting.
Thank you for the answer :)