Mercedes W13

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter does not belong here.
User avatar
Stu
Moderator
Joined: Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:05 am
Location: Norfolk, UK

Re: Mercedes W13

Post

Redragon wrote:
Sun May 08, 2022 12:40 pm
what are the chances of seeing bulkier sidepods from Bacelona? 60% 70% 80%? And start to redisign towards 2023?
This year, zero chance, the mini-pods are not the cause of the problem with porpoising. The only reason that they are likely to modify the side-pods is if the cooling has to be re-packaged to fix the issue (that’s if they have to change the floor substantially).
The more that I learn, the more I appreciate how much more there is to know….

User avatar
atanatizante
87
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:33 pm

Re: Mercedes W13

Post

With this new low DF rear wing, it seems to me that they are a little bit faster than in previously 4 races compared to RB18, and even faster than F1-75, although in the end, it`s down to how each team is setting up their car strategically or not after all ...

Image

Having said that they look to have the same barn door rear wing compared to other cars ... or it`s just a matter of setup choice?

Image

Finally, it seems that RUS went for a lower ride height than HAM with obviously porpoising issues ...

Image
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

User avatar
pursue_one's
50
Joined: Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:50 am

Re: Mercedes W13

Post


User avatar
Redragon
18
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 11:23 am

Re: Mercedes W13

Post

Stu wrote:
Sun May 08, 2022 2:16 pm
Redragon wrote:
Sun May 08, 2022 12:40 pm
what are the chances of seeing bulkier sidepods from Bacelona? 60% 70% 80%? And start to redisign towards 2023?
This year, zero chance, the mini-pods are not the cause of the problem with porpoising. The only reason that they are likely to modify the side-pods is if the cooling has to be re-packaged to fix the issue (that’s if they have to change the floor substantially).
Not saying is the problem of porpoising. But seeing how little window they have to find proper set up during same weekend without many changes on the weather or other factors. And seeing that the opposite design solutions on the paddock are giving better results. Maybe is time to redesing the concept towards 2023. Because to loose so much time to make it work feels to me suicidal

AA_2019
AA_2019
2
Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2022 11:53 am

Re: Mercedes W13

Post

Why did it not purpoise in the last 10 laps of the race on light fuel but does in qualy ???

dialtone
dialtone
49
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:31 am

Re: Mercedes W13

Post

AA_2019 wrote:
Sun May 08, 2022 10:26 pm
Why did it not purpoise in the last 10 laps of the race on light fuel but does in qualy ???
Track temp today was 41C which is the same as during FP2. Quali track temp was 52C.

Dr. Acula
Dr. Acula
45
Joined: Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:23 pm

Re: Mercedes W13

Post

AA_2019 wrote:
Sun May 08, 2022 10:26 pm
Why did it not purpoise in the last 10 laps of the race on light fuel but does in qualy ???
Well, even without purpoising, the pace isn't there compared to Ferrari and RedBull. So it seams to be like a few people here already mentioned. Even without purpoising, the W13 isn't a Championship winning car.

User avatar
carisi2k
17
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:26 pm

Re: Mercedes W13

Post

Stu wrote:
Sun May 08, 2022 2:16 pm
Redragon wrote:
Sun May 08, 2022 12:40 pm
what are the chances of seeing bulkier sidepods from Bacelona? 60% 70% 80%? And start to redisign towards 2023?
This year, zero chance, the mini-pods are not the cause of the problem with porpoising. The only reason that they are likely to modify the side-pods is if the cooling has to be re-packaged to fix the issue (that’s if they have to change the floor substantially).
The mini pods are the problem because they don't give enough support to the floor and because of this the floor is flexing and fluttering causing aero problems even in the corners. Just my humble opinion.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP
43
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:22 am

Re: Mercedes W13

Post

dialtone wrote:
Sun May 08, 2022 10:42 pm
AA_2019 wrote:
Sun May 08, 2022 10:26 pm
Why did it not purpoise in the last 10 laps of the race on light fuel but does in qualy ???
Track temp today was 41C which is the same as during FP2. Quali track temp was 52C.
You think the track temp influences the porpoising? How so? Do you think the hotter tire becomes more compliant and springy?

Spoutnik
Spoutnik
1
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:02 pm

Re: Mercedes W13

Post


dialtone
dialtone
49
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:31 am

Re: Mercedes W13

Post

AR3-GP wrote:
Sun May 08, 2022 11:41 pm
dialtone wrote:
Sun May 08, 2022 10:42 pm
AA_2019 wrote:
Sun May 08, 2022 10:26 pm
Why did it not purpoise in the last 10 laps of the race on light fuel but does in qualy ???
Track temp today was 41C which is the same as during FP2. Quali track temp was 52C.
You think the track temp influences the porpoising? How so? Do you think the hotter tire becomes more compliant and springy?
I don't know exactly but that's a thing that they had in common between FP2 and Race but not in Quali and they said that George's setup was the same so...

zibby43
zibby43
603
Joined: Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:16 am

Re: Mercedes W13

Post

dialtone wrote:
Sun May 08, 2022 11:56 pm
AR3-GP wrote:
Sun May 08, 2022 11:41 pm
dialtone wrote:
Sun May 08, 2022 10:42 pm


Track temp today was 41C which is the same as during FP2. Quali track temp was 52C.
You think the track temp influences the porpoising? How so? Do you think the hotter tire becomes more compliant and springy?
I don't know exactly but that's a thing that they had in common between FP2 and Race but not in Quali and they said that George's setup was the same so...
Track evolution would be the biggest variable that changed, IMHO.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP
43
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:22 am

Re: Mercedes W13

Post

zibby43 wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 12:27 am
dialtone wrote:
Sun May 08, 2022 11:56 pm
AR3-GP wrote:
Sun May 08, 2022 11:41 pm


You think the track temp influences the porpoising? How so? Do you think the hotter tire becomes more compliant and springy?
I don't know exactly but that's a thing that they had in common between FP2 and Race but not in Quali and they said that George's setup was the same so...
Track evolution would be the biggest variable that changed, IMHO.
How does that effect bouncing on the straights?

zibby43
zibby43
603
Joined: Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:16 am

Re: Mercedes W13

Post

AR3-GP wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 12:28 am
zibby43 wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 12:27 am
dialtone wrote:
Sun May 08, 2022 11:56 pm


I don't know exactly but that's a thing that they had in common between FP2 and Race but not in Quali and they said that George's setup was the same so...
Track evolution would be the biggest variable that changed, IMHO.
How does that effect bouncing on the straights?
I’m sure the engineers would love to know, specifically. But, in general, track evolution is one of the most dominant factors in Formula 1 that affects the mechanical setup of the car and the operation of the tires.

Again, I’m merely pointing out the variables that changed from Friday to Saturday qualifying if they reverted back to the FP2 setup. Temperature and track evolution.

AA_2019
AA_2019
2
Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2022 11:53 am

Re: Mercedes W13

Post

The floor needs changing, its obvious. What those changes should be is the million dollar question