Mercedes W13

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
PlatinumZealot

Re: Mercedes W13

We do know from video broadcast that the rear edge of the floors of both cars do rub the track in high speed corners.

The Mercedes uses an edge blade and the RedBull uses the ice skates to maintain the airgap between the floor and the track.

The RedBull has a high static ride height though espeially at the rear. We know this from Pit Lane photos. So certainly it is softer sprung than the Mercedes and can also ride kerbs better.

🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

ringo

atanatizante wrote:
20 Aug 2022, 16:55
How about W13`s ride height vs RB18`s seeing in this picture from Hungary?

https://postimages.org/
You know what is interesting, how much df is being produced by the plank when the car is not touching the ground.. and what happens ehen the plank is on the ground since the under surface wont have any air flow.
For Sure!!

Stu

Along with many others, this TECHNICAL thread is seeing a significant amount of drift.

No matter the quality of content, if it is off topic I will now only be deleting the post; moving posts is a time-consuming (and very thought-consuming) process.

Keep posts on topic; about TECHNICAL aspects of the car.
Last edited by Stu on 24 Aug 2022, 13:21, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Spelling
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

Goblin42

Can't spot any substantial modifications to the bodywork of the W13 & they're running a special livery for the AMG 55 years anniversary

Credit to Albert Fabrega

atanatizante

So what is interesting to see, from my professional point of view, is the fact that the lubs and particularly the fuel is designed with Petronas for better combustion, hence better thermal efficiency and consumption rather than increasing the ICE power output ...

That could be translated that they are aiming to develop the engine in order to run harder for a longer time ...

So that was one reason for their better ICE reliability this year coz they were focusing on this parameter after 2021 issues ... the other reason was they were running it detuned in the first part of the season, both to decrease the porpoising/bouncing and mostly for they could see no reason to force it once they figure out that being in the 3rd place on race pace they couldn`t reach the two top teams even if they were running it in anger ...

Now I`m looking forward to seeing the turbo episode ...
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

atanatizante wrote:
25 Aug 2022, 07:54

So what is interesting to see, from my professional point of view, is the fact that the lubs and particularly the fuel is designed with Petronas for better combustion, hence better thermal efficiency and consumption rather than increasing the ICE power output ...

That could be translated that they are aiming to develop the engine in order to run harder for a longer time ...
Would another benefit be that they could start with a bit less fuel and thus a bit less weight? Even a kilo saved would help over the course of a race, I'd have thought. Or are the gains you mention too small to be noticeable in terms of weight?
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

organic

Source: Albert Fabrega [@AlbertFabrega]

There's a double corner to this wing. Very interesting how Merc are concentrating on this area of the car

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

organic wrote:
25 Aug 2022, 10:54
https://i.imgur.com/uWV2GbY.jpeg

Source: Albert Fabrega [@AlbertFabrega]

There's a double corner to this wing. Very interesting how Merc are concentrating on this area of the car
I wonder what they're trying to achieve with that. It's almost as if they want to get some vorticity going there - that's draggy but it might help them in some way.

It's interesting that in this shot, the Merc appears to have a longer DRS flap than the others:

I wonder if it's just an illusion caused by the varying shapes in play, but it does appear that the Merc one goes closer to the end of the wing.

organic

Source: Tobi Grüner [@tgruener]

Better image of the new RW

I'd imagine maybe it's the endplate curves down to vertical further inboard than other teams, rather than a wider Drs flap? I agree that there seems to be a shorter distance between the end of their wing and the end of the Drs flap than other teams

Zariel
Zariel

Looks like there is a small screw hole in the lower part of the end plate, could this just be a way of changing the end plate without changing the whole wing? Looks like we are seeing it without the final endpoint part mounted.

Goblin42

the rear wing was missing the edges, and it was installed afterwards

organic

Ah #-o

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

I wonder if they have some different tips to try - that design appears to allow for the tips to be changed.

Armin
Armin

Teams are using modular designs for a lot of the elements!
This allows more development updates with less cost (especially with new cost cap)… add a little part to floor or wing rather than reconstructing the whole floor/wing!

hollus

Livery talk in the team thread. Thanks.
Rivals, not enemies.