Mercedes W13

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
PlatinumZealot

Re: Mercedes W13

JPBD1990 wrote:
24 Feb 2022, 10:39
From Motorsport.com

"Porpoising - it’s the buzzword at the start of this new rules era. Effectively the cars rock or bounce up and down as the air attaches and reattached itself when they approach vmax. Like yesterday, it’s Hamilton who appears to be suffering most with it this morning. The Merc is wallowing even before the 400m board on the run to Turn 1. You can here the revs rise and fall in sync as the W13 is unsettled. Looks a touch violent. Anyone got a number for the osteopath?"
Matt Kew
Media are so biased. Another source was saying that Mercedes Ferrari and RedBull are level as a lake and the Aston and Sauber were awful. So haha. It's hard to believe anyone without seeing video evidence.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

dans79

OO7 wrote:
24 Feb 2022, 15:16
My interpretation of all this, it that the Mercedes was very stable around the corners, but suffered from porpoising at high speed down the straights.
And that could all be a red hearing, because I've seen a few people not looking for clicks or views say that the end of the main strait is very wavy this year.
197 104 103 7

AeroDynamic

SiLo wrote:
24 Feb 2022, 13:56
Do we have any pictures of the new floor?
From what I can tell, it looks like he's running the same floor. But he IS running the new louvres towards the rear of the body

Last edited by AeroDynamic on 24 Feb 2022, 17:25, edited 5 times in total.

Shakeman

PlatinumZealot wrote:
24 Feb 2022, 15:18
JPBD1990 wrote:
From Motorsport.com

"Porpoising - it’s the buzzword at the start of this new rules era. Effectively the cars rock or bounce up and down as the air attaches and reattached itself when they approach vmax. Like yesterday, it’s Hamilton who appears to be suffering most with it this morning. The Merc is wallowing even before the 400m board on the run to Turn 1. You can here the revs rise and fall in sync as the W13 is unsettled. Looks a touch violent. Anyone got a number for the osteopath?"
Matt Kew
Media are so biased. Another source was saying that Mercedes Ferrari and RedBull are level as a lake and the Aston and Sauber were awful. So haha. It's hard to believe anyone without seeing video evidence.
Of course it could be true that Merc had porpoising issues when they were testing a particular setup. I would assume that running right on the edge of porpoising is going to be desirable and finding the limit will be important.

I guess it raises the possibility that these cars could be bloody awful to drive if they pick up damage in the race and porpoising is induced.

AeroDynamic

Last edited by AeroDynamic on 24 Feb 2022, 16:09, edited 1 time in total.

JPower
JPower

PlatinumZealot wrote:
24 Feb 2022, 15:18
JPBD1990 wrote:
From Motorsport.com

Matt Kew
What is biased about it? Pretty sure Toto said they were having some issues with it. I think he said everyone but McLaren.

ema00
ema00

AeroDynamic wrote:
24 Feb 2022, 15:37
SiLo wrote:
24 Feb 2022, 13:56
Do we have any pictures of the new floor?
From what I can tell, it looks like he's running the same floor. But he IS running the new louvres towards the rear of the body
https://i.imgur.com/OiB4FeN.jpg
does anyone think that the strange shape of the sidepod at the inlet with the curvature opposite to the direction of the flow has the aim to reduce the drag of the rear tyres? It seems that they want to pull out clean flow from that zone

zibby43
zibby43

Binotto seems to indicate that pretty much all the teams are experiencing it and that it will be relatively easy to solve.

When you're setting these cars up with the ground [effect] floor, the situation it's different. It's a learning process.”

Binotto said that getting rid of the porpoising entirely was a relatively easy thing to do, as it could be doing by simply raising the ride height.

However, the situation is complicated by teams knowing that there are good performance gains to be had by running as close to the ground as possible – which then leaves them exposed to the problem returning

“I think that solving it can be quite straightforward,” said Binotto. “Optimising the performance, because it should not be a compromise, you should try to avoid the bouncing by getting the most of the performance of the car. But that could be a less easy exercise.

“I am pretty sure that at some stage the team will get to the solution. How long it will take? The ones that will get there sooner will have an advantage at the start of the season.”

mantikos
mantikos

Probably just damage

matt_s
matt_s

AeroDynamic wrote:
24 Feb 2022, 13:38
Sam Collins thinking is that it might be quite challenging to solve for Mercedes (based on his assumption that the issue is a product of their car concept)
Yeah. He also said they're "not talking about small aquatic creatures that look a bit like dolphins". I'm guessing it must be some other kind of porpoising then. :wtf:

pursue_one's

According to rumors from the paddock, Mercedes will bring to the track a car that is substantially different from the one that is running(barcelona), because it will introduce solutions that are the result of a thorough analysis of the 2022 regulations, trying to interpret the gray areas of the rules.

https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-me ... a/8459288/

pimpwerx
pimpwerx

mantikos wrote:
24 Feb 2022, 16:44
Probably just damage
In the overhead shot, it looks like that vent has to fit around a component underneath. Not sure if it's just for testing or not.

Emag
Emag

pursue_one's wrote:
24 Feb 2022, 16:53
According to rumors from the paddock, Mercedes will bring to the track a car that is substantially different from the one that is running(barcelona), because it will introduce solutions that are the result of a thorough analysis of the 2022 regulations, trying to interpret the gray areas of the rules.

They already did this in 2019 once, why are they reusing their tactics :lol:

AMG.Tzan

Emag wrote:
24 Feb 2022, 16:58
pursue_one's wrote:

They already did this in 2019 once, why are they reusing their tactics :lol:
I also expect the same! 2019 all over again...

The car looks too vanilla to me unlike Ferrari & Red Bull who have a ton of interesting solutions! Of course I don't expect Mercedes to bring a totally different concept but I expect them to reshape at least the floor and the sidepods maybe the front wing-nose also!

Right now they're trying to correlate wind tunnel results with on-track results as is always the case with testing! Bahrain is going to be interesting...
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis

OO7
OO7

pursue_one's wrote:

If that was from AMuS I'd follow it a little more closely, from Franco Nugnes though...........hmm :?: