Mercedes W13

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
_cerber1

Re: Mercedes W13

:roll:

AeroDynamic

Que Mark Elliot "Those (RB) sidepods are interesting" :lol:

Holm86

I'll believe it when I see it. People have a tendency to say "they came with a b-spec car for the second test a couple years ago, so they could do that again" and then that's just what people want to see.
But they completely disregard the fact that Mercedes this time have to develop their car under a budget cap, and with the least amount of CFD runs of any team.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

NathanOlder wrote:
09 Mar 2022, 10:06
zibby43 wrote:
09 Mar 2022, 05:12
https://twitter.com/sportmphmark/status ... 42994?s=21

Something from a source I trust about the innovation inbound on the W13.
Really looking forward to tomorrow now. Got the day off work, will be watching all day. Lets see some silver monster.
After the let downs of the early "not car" launches etc., and testing behind semi-closed doors, this is the first time I've been excited this season. Hoping the revised W13 is a proper revision and not just tweaks to bits and bobs.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Holm86 wrote:
09 Mar 2022, 11:14
I'll believe it when I see it. People have a tendency to say "they came with a b-spec car for the second test a couple years ago, so they could do that again" and then that's just what people want to see.
But they completely disregard the fact that Mercedes this time have to develop their car under a budget cap, and with the least amount of CFD runs of any team.
But they will certainly have concepts in consideration before the cap effects hit. Don't forget that they deliberately didn't run the wet tyre test last year in order to save money. They said it was because of the damage to Bottas's car at Imola, but who knows? Also, they didn't do a lot of aero update work on the W12 where Red Bull were bringing updates through the season. Entirely possible they basically banked resources for this year and a "let's see what works best" approach.

The W13 we've seen so far is basically just the W12's body tweaked and dropped on a 2022-regs floor.

You may be right and all they do is turn up with a new mirror turning vane and a revised floor edge. But we can at least have the enjoyment of hoping they're going to turn up with a "where did that come from?!!" design for rest of today. :lol:

Holm86

Just_a_fan wrote:
09 Mar 2022, 11:22
Holm86 wrote:
But they will certainly have concepts in consideration before the cap effects hit. Don't forget that they deliberately didn't run the wet tyre test last year in order to save money. They said it was because of the damage to Bottas's car at Imola, but who knows? Also, they didn't do a lot of aero update work on the W12 where Red Bull were bringing updates through the season. Entirely possible they basically banked resources for this year and a "let's see what works best" approach.

The W13 we've seen so far is basically just the W12's body tweaked and dropped on a 2022-regs floor.

You may be right and all they do is turn up with a new mirror turning vane and a revised floor edge. But we can at least have the enjoyment of hoping they're going to turn up with a "where did that come from?!!" design for rest of today. :lol:
I too want to see something radical and extreme, but I just think the Mercedes sidepods already look very small, considering the amount of kW's of heat they need to dissipate :D Im just trying to be realistic, and a bit of a buzzkill I know :D

SuperCNJ
SuperCNJ

Don't they have to have some sort of "side pod" to meet the side impact structure requirements? I.e. a structure that protrudes out to protect the driver?

qatmix

The crash structure could just be used as a wing to hold the rear view mirrors. I very much doubt they will have no sidepods, but it would be cool if they do something that radical.

Mamba
Mamba

the EDGE wrote:
09 Mar 2022, 09:38
How exactly would you control tyre wake in an era with no no out-wash FW, no bargeboards... and no sidepods?

Not sure where this rumour came from... but I'm not buying it
Considering nearly all the teams bar Williams and Merc actually made their sidepods bigger than they really needed to be in order to manage the tyre wake this "no sidepod" concept seems a bit odd...

etusch

Just_a_fan wrote:
Holm86 wrote:

is it possible or every season has it's own budget that you can't add a panny which you had saved from year before ? If every season didn't have it's own budget, so teams will have many different budgets. If I were, I would spent only for essential things to run job and would save all money to this year. That would be very clever approach for every team except Redbul and Mercedes. So they would have bigger budgets compared to these two big teams. If it is possible it is simple a dumb thing by fia.

Phlumbert
Phlumbert

Translation:
Yes, Mercedes will have ultra small bellies. It will have a frightening efficiency over the bottom, especially towards the slipstream/ post/beam wing.
On the other hand the need to have always high enough incidences to generate load in the slow and in braking.
The clue was the post wing >>

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

etusch wrote:
09 Mar 2022, 13:32
Just_a_fan wrote:
Holm86 wrote:

is it possible or every season has it's own budget that you can't add a panny which you had saved from year before ? If every season didn't have it's own budget, so teams will have many different budgets. If I were, I would spent only for essential things to run job and would save all money to this year. That would be very clever approach for every team except Redbul and Mercedes. So they would have bigger budgets compared to these two big teams. If it is possible it is simple a dumb thing by fia.
The teams can spend their money how they see fit, they're just limited on how much they can spend in a given time period. Don't forget that the design of a car starts well back in the previous year - so the 2023 car will start to be designed sometime in the middle of this year, whilst this year's car is still being updated. If a team wants to fund next year's car more, they just spend less on this year's car.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Phlumbert wrote:
09 Mar 2022, 13:55
https://mobile.twitter.com/GiulyDuchess ... 6528117765

Translation:
Yes, Mercedes will have ultra small bellies. It will have a frightening efficiency over the bottom, especially towards the slipstream/ post/beam wing.
On the other hand the need to have always high enough incidences to generate load in the slow and in braking.
The clue was the post wing >>
I think I need a translation of the translation. :? :lol:

Are they suggesting that the design of the beam wing is proof that the car will have even smaller sidepods?

Stu

Just_a_fan wrote:
09 Mar 2022, 11:16
NathanOlder wrote:
09 Mar 2022, 10:06
zibby43 wrote:

Really looking forward to tomorrow now. Got the day off work, will be watching all day. Lets see some silver monster.
After the let downs of the early "not car" launches etc., and testing behind semi-closed doors, this is the first time I've been excited this season. Hoping the revised W13 is a proper revision and not just tweaks to bits and bobs.
But if they do come with something revolutionary, the previous launch will be just another ‘not car launch’, and half of the forum will feel compelled to pile-on and give Mercedes as much of a kicking as the other half did with Red Bull (after their livery launch).

Batten down the hatches!!!
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

Stu

AeroDynamic wrote:
09 Mar 2022, 10:43
zibby43 wrote:

Now, am I Surprised Mercedes haven’t shown their hand like some teams? No. :lol:

But I think expectations should be tempered. If the downwash bodywork looks more mean and aggressive, that would be a great reveal. If the first iteration was some sort of red herring to throw the others off and chase something meaningless.. that would be epic.
Who has shown their hand?
Maybe Alfa, maybe Haas, Williams?
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.