McLaren MCL36

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
F1Krof

Re: McLaren MCL36

Thing is, we don't know what works for this set of regulations. Prior years, we had an idea based on resulted and sip through want tended to work and what not? For all we know, HAAS's build a monster of a car even though on our eyes it does not look like it.
Wroom wroom

f1rules
f1rules

as i said, bold design,

https://the-race.com...sion-explained/

McLaren’s technical director James Key hopes McLaren’s choices for the front and rear of the MCL36 are the correct ones, but admits few things are certain in the early stages of a major regulation change.

“So it is a pullrod front suspension [and pushrod rear]; we saw that in past years,” he said.

“It will be pretty obvious when we run the cars – and you can’t really copy it very easily! So it’ll be interesting to see who else does that. I see the Aston Martin is the other way around, for example. The whole suspension layout is about aerodynamics.

“At the front, it’s the only thing you’ve got to play with between the entrance of the floor and the front wing, and depending on how you treat the front wing and where the entry to the floor needs its load condition will kind of set out what you think the best front suspension geometry is.

“I think we’re going to see some really interesting ideas across the group of us. For us, it seems like a good solution to try. It certainly has properties which we are happy with.

“[It’s] mechanically challenging, but we spent a lot of time trying to get that right, knowing the pitfalls of previous years when it was used.“I’m fairly confident it is going to work as expected. The rear of the car is the other question. We’ve been pullrod for a long time. Adrian introduced it in 2009 with his Red Bull. That’s not necessarily needed now.

“You’ve got a restricted wheelbase that restricts the length of the gearbox for example, so you’ve got other possibilities there. But it will be interesting to see what trends have developed. We’ve gone this route. If we’re the only car that’s done that we’ve either got it really, really right or…”

https://the-race.com/formula-1/mark-hug ... explained/
Last edited by f1rules on 11 Feb 2022, 23:03, edited 1 time in total.

PlatinumZealot

F1Krof wrote:
11 Feb 2022, 22:56
Thing is, we don't know what works for this set of regulations. Prior years, we had an idea based on resulted and sip through want tended to work and what not? For all we know, HAAS's build a monster of a car even though on our eyes it does not look like it.
Because the regulations are so restrictive I am concerend that convergence will happen too quickly. Despite the three launch cars having widely differing philosophies their working fundamentals are not far off. A change of side pods, floor and bam! Rival copied (not counting the pull rod push rod of course!)
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

F1doc
F1doc

PlatinumZealot wrote:
11 Feb 2022, 23:02
Because the regulations are so restrictive I am concerend that convergence will happen too quickly. Despite the three launch cars having widely differing philosophies their working fundamentals are not far off. A change of side pods, floor and bam! Rival copied (not counting the pull rod push rod of course!)
Easier said than done with re-packaging and potentially limitations from the monocoque.

siskue2005

Is it wise to pushrod rear suspension, especially with the beam wing returning ?

gcdugas

Looks generally good. Tunnel performance and "sealing" the sides are going to be the main area of focus this year. That and balancing a more pliable suspension movement (since less impact gets absorbed by the tire sidewall) with the demand of a more strict ride height management in order to get the most out of the ground effect tunnels.

I understand the lack of sidepod undercut because of the height of the tunnel intake. It seems the Driver is about 3" further back, relative to both axles, than the AMR22. Plus the rear wing is further back relative to the rear wheel. This multiplies the "leverage" on the downforce generated plus it is in slightly cleaner air. Clearly they placed priority in a narrow waist but it comes at an expense. The airbox looks huge like last year's Renault. Will this hinder general drag and will it decrease the quality of the air hitting the rear wing. As for hot air exit... I do not mind the slightly large looking outlet section at the rear axle line. Keep in mind, if the exits are too tight, there is a bunch of pressure throughout the air's journey and this results in "spill over" at the intake area and general untidiness of the flow in that area.

Still, that huge airbox.... hmmm....
Innovation over refinement is the prefered path to performance. -- Get rid of the dopey regs in F1

Hoffman900
Hoffman900

siskue2005 wrote:
11 Feb 2022, 23:14
Is it wise to pushrod rear suspension, especially with the beam wing returning ?
I don’t think anyone here is capable of knowing more than the entire Mclaren design team.

F1Krof

PlatinumZealot wrote:
F1Krof wrote:
11 Feb 2022, 22:56
I have to digress, sorry about it but this is exactly what they wanted. Formula 1 Racing, they meant it this time, LITERALLY! There will be ONE FORMULA CAR, stock racing, budget restriction, standardized parts... and all the other political BS. I don't like what they've done to the sport honestly! I hope this --- doesn't work and forget about this nightmare get things on track as Formula 1 was really meant to be.
Wroom wroom

Zynerji

F1doc wrote:
11 Feb 2022, 23:07
PlatinumZealot wrote:
Easier said than done with re-packaging and potentially limitations from the monocoque.
And budget

wowgr8
wowgr8

Those MCL sidepod inlets are definitely what the rulemakers had in mind writing the rules, they look so good, thank you McLaren for considering the aesthetics there

Blackout

Yes top side impact structure is roughly where it used to hang

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

siskue2005 wrote:
11 Feb 2022, 23:14
It’s a matter of which one gives more performance… The potential additional space in the Tunnels or the clear air going to the beam wing.

If McLaren has chosen it, their calculations show that they gain more with the pushrod

Blackout

Maybe Mclaren managed to put the pushrod inboard rear suspensions inside the gearbox casing (despite the presence of a turbine nearby), to minimise the blockage towards the beam wing, and didnt simply put them on top of the gbox, like in the old days..

Team ANTI-HYPE. Prove it, then I’ll anoint you.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Nice comparison image to the Aston Martin: