McLaren MCL36

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Mansell89
Mansell89

Re: McLaren MCL36

Is this a smaller wing for Imola?

Emag
Emag

I would say its still a relatively high downforce wing.

_cerber1

Mansell89 wrote:
21 Apr 2022, 13:45
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FQ3H2ljXoAA ... name=large

This is old wing. From Bahrain

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Mansell89 wrote:
21 Apr 2022, 13:45
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FQ3H2ljXoAA ... name=large

Same Spec

genarro
genarro

What about the brakes?

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

genarro wrote:
21 Apr 2022, 16:21
What about the brakes?
No apparent changes:

Vía: AMUS

PhillipM
PhillipM

There won't be here

godlameroso

PhillipM wrote:
13 Apr 2022, 12:11
It's very easy, if the effect was as powerful as you think it is (apparently based on your setup in a computer game, that doesn't model airflow at all and doesn't even model tyres correctly) - every car on the grid would taper the rear brake ducts from very narrow at the front to wide at the back to accelerate the airflow between the side plate and the diffuser.

Not a single one does.
Dude, that's backwards, diverging ducts decelerate flow, as in slows it down, if you want to accelerate air, you pass it through a converging duct. You can't criticize me until you get your act together mister.

:lol:

This place cracks me up, first vortex cores produce thrust and favorable pressure gradients, instead of induced drag, and now diverging ducts accelerate subsonic flows, that's just wrong, please correct your statement so that it is consistent with reality. While you're at it, might want to look at some late model cars and wonder to yourself why they have deflectors on the inside face of the tire. It couldn't be to prevent the jetting vortex that comes off the tire which contributes to vehicle drag would it?
Saishū kōnā

PhillipM
PhillipM

godlameroso wrote:
21 Apr 2022, 18:30
PhillipM wrote:
It's very easy, if the effect was as powerful as you think it is (apparently based on your setup in a computer game, that doesn't model airflow at all and doesn't even model tyres correctly) - every car on the grid would taper the rear brake ducts from very narrow at the front to wide at the back to accelerate the airflow between the side plate and the diffuser.

Not a single one does.
Dude, that's backwards, diverging ducts decelerate flow, as in slows it down, if you want to accelerate air, you pass it through a converging duct. You can't criticize me until you get your act together mister.
A widening brake duct besides the diffuser would form a converging duct between the wall of the brake duct and the diffuser outer fence. As would toeing out the wheel like you keep rambling on about. Want to spout any more nonsense?

wesley123
wesley123

godlameroso wrote:
13 Apr 2022, 01:59
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FMSIv6yXoAg ... ame=medium

Don't believe your lying eyes :lol: 3 cars 3 different attempts to create outwash with the diffuser within the regulations with flowvis to boot, but yeah. Fake internet points = correct around here I guess.
There's no real outwash going on. The diffuser walls are straight, and actually tuck inwards at the base.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

godlameroso

Was that metal stay always on the diffuser or is that new?
Saishū kōnā

godlameroso

PhillipM wrote:
21 Apr 2022, 18:48
godlameroso wrote:
21 Apr 2022, 18:30
PhillipM wrote:

Not a single one does.
A widening brake duct besides the diffuser would form a converging duct between the wall of the brake duct and the diffuser outer fence. As would toeing out the wheel like you keep rambling on about. Want to spout any more nonsense?
That's not a duct, it's a winglet, ducts are closed on all sides. So now everyone makes the trailing edge of the wheel winglets converging towards the wheel? The pictures of all the wheel winglets show the opposite don't they? In fact there are slots present to energize the flow towards the part of the diffuser that flares out. The benefit of squeezing air between the winglet and the diffuser fence is that since the wheel facing side of the winglet is lower pressure, the downwash from that vortex prevents the tire squirt from bleeding into the diffuser.

Saishū kōnā

PhillipM
PhillipM

godlameroso wrote:
21 Apr 2022, 19:08
So now everyone makes the trailing edge of the wheel winglets converging towards the wheel? The pictures of all the wheel winglets show the opposite don't they?
They do, they do indeed. Thanks for proving my point for me.

godlameroso

PhillipM wrote:
21 Apr 2022, 19:21
godlameroso wrote:
21 Apr 2022, 19:08
So now everyone makes the trailing edge of the wheel winglets converging towards the wheel? The pictures of all the wheel winglets show the opposite don't they?
They do, they do indeed. Thanks for proving my point for me.
They do indeed what? Use evidence, like I do, or I'll just assume you're trolling.
Saishū kōnā

godlameroso

wesley123 wrote:
21 Apr 2022, 18:51
godlameroso wrote:
13 Apr 2022, 01:59
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FMSIv6yXoAg ... ame=medium

Don't believe your lying eyes :lol: 3 cars 3 different attempts to create outwash with the diffuser within the regulations with flowvis to boot, but yeah. Fake internet points = correct around here I guess.
There's no real outwash going on. The diffuser walls are straight, and actually tuck inwards at the base.

So that flow vis in the Ferrari diffuser, it's not going outwards? It looks like it's outwashing, especially at the top of the diffuser. Are my eyes deceiving me and is that actually inwash?
Saishū kōnā