2022 Winter Testing Part 1: Barcelona 23 - 25th February

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Re: Formula one testing Barcelona 2022

What is happening is that Bahrain is "sportwashing" itself. It's paying Liberty to have an exclusive event in the hope that everyone forgets that the regime is nasty.

It appears to be working, one way or another.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Ryar

Just_a_fan wrote:
28 Jan 2022, 01:56
What is happening is that Bahrain is "sportwashing" itself. It's paying Liberty to have an exclusive event in the hope that everyone forgets that the regime is nasty.

An average Bahraini might be unhappy with the ruling/administration situation, but would be happy to see sporting events with exclusive rights being conducted. Besides, the stains of atrocities being committed to the people, can't be whitewashed by gimmicks. Even if they have been in the past, like in case of many invading countries. So IMO, they are two isolated matters and I don't think the attempts of Bahrain F1 promoters is to cover their country's administration's tainted reputation. It's just a commercial affair. If we demand F1 to be responsive to political injustices (which it should), then F1 shouldn't be hosting events in more than half of the venues it goes every year.
Hakuna Matata!

BassVirolla

For me, there is no need to close doors at Montmeló for some sort of exclusivity in Bahrain.

The fans which would attend at Barcelona, hardly anyone will be at Bahrein. In fact, opening two venues is twice opportunities for world fans to attend. But this is a bussiness, not a sport, and Bahrain has lots of money that (we) the (most part of) european fans lack.

In fact, for me, testing in Barcelona is the only F1 event that I can afford to attend. And this year some wealthy bahrainy decided, in quite a selfish manner, that me, and some other thousands of people, can't see F1 cars on track.

Of course, I'm quite upset.

Big Tea

I wonder how the sponsors feel about it?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Zynerji

Big Tea wrote:
29 Jan 2022, 18:33
I wonder how the sponsors feel about it?
What if there's a secret sponsor paying for the closed door session? 🤔

Like Pirelli who might not want any high definition footage of new tyre failures...

The motivations are out there, I'm sure.

PlatinumZealot

I reckon that Bahrain was scripted to exclusively hold the test, but then the teams reuested Barcelona in addition. Now what does FIA do? They can't take that marketing exposure away from Bahrain, so they have no choice but to make Barcelona a closed doors event?
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

KeiKo403
KeiKo403

Somebody needs to inform the FIA that this isn’t a ‘test’
TCC = Testing Current Cars
FIA 2022 Sporting Refulations wrote:
8.5 Available opportunities for TCC
TCC may only take place on tracks currently approved for use by Formula 1 cars and located in Europe (unless agreed by the majority of the competitors and the FIA), may never occur whilst a Championship Competition is taking place and shall be limited to:
a. Two tests, open to all competitors, each of no more than three consecutive days’ duration,, carried out between 1 February and ten days before the start of the first Competition of the Championship.
One day from any of these two tests may be set aside for testing of wet-weather tyres if requested by the appointed tyre supplier. Arrangements for this day of testing will be made in full consultation with all competitors and the FIA.
Shakedowns, IMO are known as Promotional Events still have a place in the regs too.
On the eve of each new season most teams perform a shakedown (PE) at a local track and use it gain footage of the new cars along with various system tests etc.
The Barcelona session isn’t a mass shakedown, otherwise why have 3 days to run a maximum of 100km on irrelevant tyres, where due to the presence of other competitors you’d not be able to gather any promotional footage.

Barcelona is an official test by the competition regs but the commercial rights holder says it’s not.
So is it, or isn’t it?

mclaren111

Just_a_fan wrote:

Then we need a race in South Africa next week... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

BassVirolla

mclaren111 wrote:
02 Feb 2022, 12:33
Just_a_fan wrote:

Then we need a race in South Africa next week... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
At least South Africa has a proper race track (Kyalami).

Henri
Henri

Barcelona testing thread discussion

Testing is near time to see who's got the best package 😀

tomazy
tomazy

Re: Barcelona testing thread discussion

Does anyone know if there will be photographers present at the test? Or will we have to rely on teams social networks for photos?

nzjrs

It's called a "shakedown" not a test so that they have an excuse for not letting spectators attend. I doubt there will be coverage for the same reason

The test following also probably paid a bit of money for exclusive television rights.

_cerber1

tomazy wrote:
20 Feb 2022, 20:40
Does anyone know if there will be photographers present at the test? Or will we have to rely on teams social networks for photos?
The print press will be allowed, plus photos and videos from the team's social media. I think that this is the maximum that should be counted on.

theblackangus
theblackangus

nzjrs wrote:
20 Feb 2022, 20:42
It's called a "shakedown" not a test so that they have an excuse for not letting spectators attend. I doubt there will be coverage for the same reason

The test following also probably paid a bit of money for exclusive television rights.
This is not correct.
If you refer to the official schedule it is, indeed, a test.
https://www.formula1.com/en/racing/2022.html
Clearly labeled as "Testing"
:D

BlueCheetah66
BlueCheetah66

theblackangus wrote:
20 Feb 2022, 21:00
nzjrs wrote:
20 Feb 2022, 20:42

This is not correct.
If you refer to the official schedule it is, indeed, a test.
https://www.formula1.com/en/racing/2022.html
Clearly labeled as "Testing"
:D
Its labelled as a 'Track Session'