2022 Winter Testing Part 1: Barcelona 23 - 25th February

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
theblackangus
theblackangus

Re: Barcelona testing thread discussion

BlueCheetah66 wrote:
20 Feb 2022, 21:06
theblackangus wrote:
20 Feb 2022, 21:00
nzjrs wrote:
20 Feb 2022, 20:42
It's called a "shakedown" not a test so that they have an excuse for not letting spectators attend. I doubt there will be coverage for the same reason

The test following also probably paid a bit of money for exclusive television rights.
This is not correct.
If you refer to the official schedule it is, indeed, a test.
https://www.formula1.com/en/racing/2022.html
Clearly labeled as "Testing"
:D
Its labelled as a 'Track Session'
It clearly says "Testing" at the top.
If you click on it, its under "Testing Schedule".
Very obviously a test.

erisegod
erisegod

I have DAZN F1 suscription and in his programming says :
(translated from spanish) ->WEDNESDAY 23 FEBRUARY 21:00:00 : F1 PRE-SEASON TEST. BARCELONA DAY 1
https://www.dazn.com/es-ES/news/f%C3%B3 ... it5fi4kvvb

What could mean ?

bauc

_cerber1 wrote:
20 Feb 2022, 20:57
tomazy wrote:
20 Feb 2022, 20:40
Does anyone know if there will be photographers present at the test? Or will we have to rely on teams social networks for photos?
The print press will be allowed, plus photos and videos from the team's social media. I think that this is the maximum that should be counted on.
I've read somewhere that some locals were organizing a drone to fly around and record, I hope this is true it will be cool and it will also give FIA & FOM the middle finger.... which they respectfully deserve for this.
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

nzjrs

bauc wrote:
20 Feb 2022, 22:22
_cerber1 wrote:
20 Feb 2022, 20:57
tomazy wrote:
20 Feb 2022, 20:40
Does anyone know if there will be photographers present at the test? Or will we have to rely on teams social networks for photos?
The print press will be allowed, plus photos and videos from the team's social media. I think that this is the maximum that should be counted on.
I've read somewhere that some locals were organizing a drone to fly around and record, I hope this is true it will be cool and it will also give FIA & FOM the middle finger.... which they respectfully deserve for this.
I hope so.

I had a trip planned for this before they pulled this shitty move.

oT v1
oT v1

Is it so we don’t know the order? I’m confused why they’d miss the chance to sell their product while there’s a massive hunger for anything F1 related.
The Power of Dreams

billamend
billamend

There is already a thread for this: viewtopic.php?t=30173

organic

Re: Formula one testing Barcelona 2022

I am looking forward to seeing all of the cars run on track. Sure we have to do it with those reviews but it's better than nothing. Do we think teams will hide key features until Bahrain to lessen the time others have to copy unique ideas?

Jolle
Jolle

Re: Formula one testing Barcelona 2022

KeiKo403 wrote:
02 Feb 2022, 11:31
Somebody needs to inform the FIA that this isn’t a ‘test’
TCC = Testing Current Cars
FIA 2022 Sporting Refulations wrote:
8.5 Available opportunities for TCC
TCC may only take place on tracks currently approved for use by Formula 1 cars and located in Europe (unless agreed by the majority of the competitors and the FIA), may never occur whilst a Championship Competition is taking place and shall be limited to:
a. Two tests, open to all competitors, each of no more than three consecutive days’ duration,, carried out between 1 February and ten days before the start of the first Competition of the Championship.
One day from any of these two tests may be set aside for testing of wet-weather tyres if requested by the appointed tyre supplier. Arrangements for this day of testing will be made in full consultation with all competitors and the FIA.
Shakedowns, IMO are known as Promotional Events still have a place in the regs too.
On the eve of each new season most teams perform a shakedown (PE) at a local track and use it gain footage of the new cars along with various system tests etc.
The Barcelona session isn’t a mass shakedown, otherwise why have 3 days to run a maximum of 100km on irrelevant tyres, where due to the presence of other competitors you’d not be able to gather any promotional footage.

Barcelona is an official test by the competition regs but the commercial rights holder says it’s not.
So is it, or isn’t it?
There are shakedowns, that normally take place on something like an airfield strip. And there are filming days where you can run 100km on weird tires.

nzjrs

Relevant link from the thread: viewtopic.php?p=1026978#p1026978

There is a lot of hide the ball going on with how F1 refers to this 'running' lol

Zynerji

I think they want to test the tyres with real cars, and don't want any failures filmed...

cooken
cooken

May I ask what is a shakedown exactly? What is the purpose, what does it entail?

I casually tried to explain what it meant to my wife and struggled not to use the word "test" in my explanation. Maybe I'm missing something here...because all I keep reading is "no no it isn't a test it's just a test".

DiogoBrand

cooken wrote:
21 Feb 2022, 02:09
May I ask what is a shakedown exactly? What is the purpose, what does it entail?

I casually tried to explain what it meant to my wife and struggled not to use the word "test" in my explanation. Maybe I'm missing something here...because all I keep reading is "no no it isn't a test it's just a test".
If I had to try and describe the difference, I'd say on a shakedown you're trying to see if there's anything wrong. On a test you're trying to tune the car and find out it's full potential.

You do a shakedown to see if you haven't done anything stupid and the car explodes on lap 1, you do a test to see how fast it can go.

Call it a familiarization lol

Zynerji

DiogoBrand wrote:
21 Feb 2022, 02:35
cooken wrote:

If I had to try and describe the difference, I'd say on a shakedown you're trying to see if there's anything wrong. On a test you're trying to tune the car and find out it's full potential.

You do a shakedown to see if you haven't done anything stupid and the car explodes on lap 1, you do a test to see how fast it can go.
I think the term is from the by-gone era before simulations and other engineering tech prevented most reliability concerns.

cooken
cooken

2022 Winter Testing Part 1: Barcelona 23 - 25th February

DiogoBrand wrote:
21 Feb 2022, 02:35
cooken wrote:

Yea....I'm being a bit facetious here. A shakedown IS a test, just a specific type thereof. So anyone trying to defend that this isn't testing by calling it a shakedown... well...