2022 Winter Testing Part 1: Barcelona 23 - 25th February

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
DChemTech
DChemTech

Re: 2022 Barcelona testing thread discussion

No drone shots yet?
Or did the FIA hire snipers to take them out (honestly wouldn't be surprised, though it may be a mess if one crashes into a sidepod inlet)

JordanMugen

Re: Barcelona testing thread discussion

nzjrs wrote:
21 Feb 2022, 10:30
It's a test without upholding the norms of spectators being able to attend
Formula One Management has stressed many times that spectators are very, very welcome in Bahrain. Don't you view Bahrain's status as holder of the official F1 test to be important? :)

I feel the best solution to this mess would've been to only hold the tests in the Middle East to avoid drawing the ire of Spanish F1 fans and other European F1 fans.

nzjrs wrote:
It's what Barcelona had before Bahrain paid to take it from them
Bahrain are entitled to do that. For example, MotoGP are testing in Indonesia, I presume the circuit holders there are paying for that. MotoGP also used to test in Australia & Malaysia. Nothing unusual.

Just because the F1 teams are mostly based in England, doesn't mean the test has to be in England, just as just because the MotoGP teams are mostly based in Spain doesn't mean the test has to be in Spain.

Marble wrote:
21 Feb 2022, 12:06
Sorry, thought you were just stating no live timing provided to the public, didn't know even teams and medias in the press room wouldn't get timing ... I mean this is ridiculous.
What's wrong with sitting on the pitwall and using a stop watch as Frank Williams and others used to do?! :?:

Neuron
Neuron

Sorry for silly question but I am wondering - engines and all other parts used during tests are not under seasonal limit, right?

bauc

Neuron wrote:
21 Feb 2022, 12:46
Sorry for silly question but I am wondering - engines and all other parts used during tests are not under seasonal limit, right?
Nope, otherwise HONDA in the Mclaren days would have had 235343 grid penalties before the 1st race :mrgreen:
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

_cerber1

Judging by the photographs of Haas, there are quite a lot of reporters in Barcelona, we will not be left without a photo.

RZS10

DChemTech wrote:
21 Feb 2022, 12:28
No drone shots yet?
Or did the FIA hire snipers to take them out (honestly wouldn't be surprised, though it may be a mess if one crashes into a sidepod inlet)
wouldn't surprise me ... haha
but testing starts on wednesday, all the drones could film would be a shakedown here or there (like Haas)

@mods maybe the title could include "2022 Barcelona testing thread 23rd-25th Feb."

DChemTech
DChemTech

RZS10 wrote:
21 Feb 2022, 13:03
DChemTech wrote:
21 Feb 2022, 12:28
No drone shots yet?
wouldn't surprise me ... haha
but testing starts on wednesday, all the drones could film would be a shakedown here or there (like Haas)

@mods maybe the title could include "2022 Barcelona testing thread 23rd-25th Feb."
Fair point :lol: Too much anticipation for this season to keep an eye on the calendar.

etusch

Re: Formula one testing Barcelona 2022

Marti_EF3 wrote:
20 Jan 2022, 11:47
Wouter wrote:
20 Jan 2022, 11:34
Marti_EF3 wrote:
20 Jan 2022, 11:18

Well, I read it! :lol: :lol:

If COVID-19 measures don't --- me another time since 2020, I will be there for the full 3 days of testing. As always, I will try to post pics, videos and so on.

I'm a bit out of everything, but I'm still part of the F1 freaks!

Have a nice day everyone :D

P.S: I've a drone, so... I can do it anyway :lol:
Hé @Marti, great you are back! I missed you on the forum! Hope you're doing well!

What a quick response ..... 8 minutes!! =D> :lol:
Tbh, I never left. But I wanted to be on the sidelines for a while. But I knew Honda would do it 8)

I will talk with the Barcelona Circuit admin to see what we can do for the tests :D

I hate circuits like Bahrein and so on, always throwing money only to have exclusives and going against fans who can't travel there to see the new cars. So disgusting if it's true...
There are 3 things I like in this world. Kylie Minoque, small dimple just above a woman's bottocks, and pirate broadcast.

nzjrs

JordanMugen wrote:
21 Feb 2022, 12:31
nzjrs wrote:
It's a test without upholding the norms of spectators being able to attend
Formula One Management has stressed many times that spectators are very, very welcome in Bahrain. Don't you view Bahrain's status as holder of the official F1 test to be important? :)

I feel the best solution to this mess would've been to only hold the tests in the Middle East to avoid drawing the ire of Spanish F1 fans and other European F1 fans.

nzjrs wrote:
It's what Barcelona had before Bahrain paid to take it from them
Bahrain are entitled to do that. For example, MotoGP are testing in Indonesia, I presume the circuit holders there are paying for that. MotoGP also used to test in Australia & Malaysia. Nothing unusual.

Just because the F1 teams are mostly based in England, doesn't mean the test has to be in England, just as just because the MotoGP teams are mostly based in Spain doesn't mean the test has to be in Spain.

Marble wrote:
Sorry, thought you were just stating no live timing provided to the public, didn't know even teams and medias in the press room wouldn't get timing ... I mean this is ridiculous.
What's wrong with sitting on the pitwall and using a stop watch as Frank Williams and others used to do?! :?:
I'm struggling to understand why you are being provocatively contrarian here.

It's not zero sum. They should sell tickets to both, and thus both should be afforded the same status. No need for word games.

lio007

the EDGE wrote:
21 Feb 2022, 12:17
Marble wrote:
the EDGE wrote:
21 Feb 2022, 10:51

As I said above... the is no official timing for Barcelona this year
Teams get GPS data so they'll easily get the info

This 'Barcelona behind closed doors' just looks a mess from my point of view
no apologies necessary... after a little research it turns out i'm wrong anyway.

Although there is no live timing available, there is timing available to teams, and we will get to here about fastest laps etc. at the end of each day

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/f1-co ... s%20Button
In the past https://www.gptoday.net/en always had some pretty good live timing. Let's see if they have it this year as well.

Wouter

lio007 wrote:
21 Feb 2022, 21:59
the EDGE wrote:
Marble wrote:

Teams get GPS data so they'll easily get the info

This 'Barcelona behind closed doors' just looks a mess from my point of view
no apologies necessary... after a little research it turns out i'm wrong anyway.

Although there is no live timing available, there is timing available to teams, and we will get to here about fastest laps etc. at the end of each day

In the past https://www.gptoday.net/en always had some pretty good live timing. Let's see if they have it this year as well.
Their English site is no longer active since last year, isn't it?
The Power of Dreams!

lio007

Wouter wrote:
21 Feb 2022, 22:15
lio007 wrote:
21 Feb 2022, 21:59
the EDGE wrote:

Their English site is no longer active since last year, isn't it?
Indeed, I'm also fine with https://www.gptoday.net/nl
Counting down the hours :)
We will see soon whether they provide some timing or not.

JordanMugen

nzjrs wrote:
21 Feb 2022, 15:53
I'm struggling to understand why you are being provocatively contrarian here.

It's not zero sum. They should sell tickets to both
Bahrain is the official test, they paid for that, that's a public test. FOM are more than welcome to hold an additional private test at Barcelona. Bahrain obviously would prefer that spectators from abroad would get on a plane and visit the test and Grand Prix in Bahrain.

Edit -- Obviously the Bahrain deal was signed first, and it would be improper for Formula One Management to renege on Bahrain's status as holder of the official open-to-the-public F1 pre-season test.
Last edited by JordanMugen on 22 Feb 2022, 03:07, edited 1 time in total.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

McL-H wrote:F1 can exist due to the fans. Not because of the current teams, the drivers or the Bahrani’s. The sport is not doing the fans any favours here.
How many fans out of the total really care about testing? Once the cars start Q1 in Bahrain for the first race, everyone (or almost everyone) will have forgotten about Testing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jumpingfish

Live-Ticker. Deutsch language, but Google Chrome (mobile and desktop) has built-in translator so we can read what's going on track from tomorrow =D>

https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... earCache=1