2022 F1 Car Wheel Covers

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
ojir19

2022 F1 Car Wheel Covers

These are the studs to fix the covers to the rim

source : https://twitter.com/AlbertFabrega/statu ... 3752148992

https://www.motorsportweek.com/2021/12/ ... eir-debut/
The 2022 wheel covers will be part of the PDC components (prescribed design components), which are standard components for everyone but with the possibility for teams to make small changes. Any research of thermal – aerodynamic advantage by the teams will obviously be there, however it will be very difficult to find “grey areas” in the 2022 regulations.
https://the-race.com/formula-1/gary-and ... nge-teams/
With the new for 2022 18-inch rims, larger-diameter front brakes, tighter brake duct inlet regulations and these hubcaps, getting on top of the brake cooling during the first tests is going to be priority. Up until now the teams have been using this hot airflow to heat up the rims and in turn the tyre temperature especially for qualifying. That will all change for 2022, so it will be a new learning curve for all and an area for initial development.

The combination of these new hubcaps with the heavier wheels – which are 2.5kg heavier than the 21 rims at the front and 3kg heavier at the rear – and larger-diameter tyres means changing wheels in a pitstop will be much more difficult.

I’m sure the teams will get on top of this, but in the early part of the season I wouldn’t be surprised to see a few pitstop errors.
Technical reg :

Will we see some innovations on the wheel covers? let's wait :wink:
okhörosinc bandhi-bandhi, mœnoghujlu sil ɥmhpleöng, kêmphád chømu kwærthwono

NtsParadize
NtsParadize

Re: 2022 F1 Car Wheel Covers

I wonder if they'll have to remove covers and put them back again on the wheels during the pitstops, like in 2006-2009

Zynerji

NtsParadize wrote:
24 Feb 2022, 01:54
I wonder if they'll have to remove covers and put them back again on the wheels during the pitstops, like in 2006-2009
Nah. I believe they are wheel mounted.

DiogoBrand

I'm just worried about how stupid they're gonna look with those LEDs attached to them.
Also, why not just make teams put the covers on the inside of the wheel, so it doesn't allow any venting but still looks like a regular wheel?

Rodak
Rodak

DiogoBrand wrote:
24 Feb 2022, 02:35
I'm just worried about how stupid they're gonna look with those LEDs attached to them.
Also, why not just make teams put the covers on the inside of the wheel, so it doesn't allow any venting but still looks like a regular wheel?
The wheel has to fit over the brake disc and the caliper assembly. If the cover was on the inside the wheel couldn't be fitted.

DiogoBrand

Rodak wrote:
24 Feb 2022, 02:46
DiogoBrand wrote:
24 Feb 2022, 02:35
The wheel has to fit over the brake disc and the caliper assembly. If the cover was on the inside the wheel couldn't be fitted.
The cover can be pretty much 1mm thick. I don't think there's not a single milimiter between the wheel and the cake tin, but if there isn't, it's just a matter of shaving a milimiter from either component. That's definitely not a challenge.

I think the only benefit of having the cover on the outside is the cleaner airflow arount the wheel, but I'm pretty sure something could be arranged to provide the best of both worlds.

ojir19

Big Tea

ojir19 wrote:
24 Feb 2022, 01:52
These are the studs to fix the covers to the rim

source : https://twitter.com/AlbertFabrega/statu ... 3752148992

https://i.postimg.cc/x1y6Qmwj/WHEEL-FMSJRd-DXXX.jpg

https://www.motorsportweek.com/2021/12/ ... eir-debut/
The 2022 wheel covers will be part of the PDC components (prescribed design components), which are standard components for everyone but with the possibility for teams to make small changes. Any research of thermal – aerodynamic advantage by the teams will obviously be there, however it will be very difficult to find “grey areas” in the 2022 regulations.
https://the-race.com/formula-1/gary-and ... nge-teams/
With the new for 2022 18-inch rims, larger-diameter front brakes, tighter brake duct inlet regulations and these hubcaps, getting on top of the brake cooling during the first tests is going to be priority. Up until now the teams have been using this hot airflow to heat up the rims and in turn the tyre temperature especially for qualifying. That will all change for 2022, so it will be a new learning curve for all and an area for initial development.

The combination of these new hubcaps with the heavier wheels – which are 2.5kg heavier than the 21 rims at the front and 3kg heavier at the rear – and larger-diameter tyres means changing wheels in a pitstop will be much more difficult.

I’m sure the teams will get on top of this, but in the early part of the season I wouldn’t be surprised to see a few pitstop errors.
Technical reg :

https://i.postimg.cc/nc6qWLMF/wheel-202 ... 064620.jpg

Will we see some innovations on the wheel covers? let's wait :wink:
So there is no regulated maximum 'depth' or finish of the wheel cover ? could this become a tweak for outboard vertices alongside the floor? (or rather, would it be any benefit)
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Is the wheel cover a "standard part" with single manufacturer?

What is stopping a team from making oversized hollow studs to pass air through the mounting holes?

ojir19

we have to wait until at least 3rd race, perhaps there will be some innovations

lio007

AR3-GP wrote:
25 Feb 2022, 23:55
Is the wheel cover a "standard part" with single manufacturer?

What is stopping a team from making oversized hollow studs to pass air through the mounting holes?
Yes, Red Bull Technology provides the covers.

ojir19

rotating C42's wheel cover

mclaren111

FIA can mandate the teams to paint them to look like wheelrims... :D

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

I think they should be coloured to match the tyres fitted. Much more visible than a narrow band of colour - even Crofty couldn't mess up what tyres they have on then. :lol:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Jolle
Jolle

I wonder how soon we’ll see wheel covers as “performance upgrades” on road cars on a regular basis