2022 Bahrain Grand Prix - Sakhir, March 18 - 20

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
SiLo

Re: 2022 Bahrain Grand Prix - Sakhir, March 18 - 20

PlatinumZealot wrote:
21 Mar 2022, 15:18
codetower wrote:
21 Mar 2022, 15:05
PlatinumZealot wrote:
21 Mar 2022, 13:53
Three stopper this race... New tyres looked good or too early to call?
Meh.. not sure. Hardest tyres in the set (C1/C2/C3) vs 2-3-4 last year... and there was an extra stop. So far looks a little worse than last year, but It's the first race, let's wait to see if the teams get a good balance on downforce/drag setup.
It seems the drivers can push these tyres more, but i heard there is a steep cliff.

Apparently more resistant to flat-spotting but also their size takes a toll on steering hydraulics.
I think you can see that in Hamilton's times, he dropped off very quickly once the tyres were clearly done running so close to Sainz for a while.
Felipe Baby!

ringo

siskue2005 wrote:
21 Mar 2022, 12:21
Partymood wrote:
21 Mar 2022, 12:19
e30ernest wrote:
21 Mar 2022, 08:05
Yeah I think the pump would have been designed to take that E10. Now I wonder if their fuel has another additive that could cause that.
Grapefruit juice?

Ok, just kidding :D

Alberto Antonini, former Head of Ferrari's press office, reveals what Ferrari thinks has happened (from what they could see) to the RedBulls.

"Il doppio guasto delle RB18 (anche il testacoda di Perez non è un semplice errore di guida) in Ferrari lo hanno spiegato con il Fattore K-1. Cioè la funzione (da non confondere con una mappatura) che permette di utilizzare la massima potenza combinata del motore termico e del motogeneratore collegato alla trasmissione, ovvero lo MGU-K. Si usa in partenza, una volta raggiunti i 100 orari; e poi, in gara, nei momenti in cui serve potenza per difendersi o per attaccare. In altre parole, i colleghi di Binotto sono convinti di aver spaccato le ossa all’avversario, che dovendo chiedere troppo alla sua povera unit (scusate) ex Honda, ha finito col cuocere le batterie." Alberto Antonini
https://www.formulapassion.it/opinioni/ ... 09558.html

This is the translation:
"The double failure of the RB18s (even Perez's spin is not a simple driving error) is explained in Ferrari with the K-1 factor. That is, the function (not to be confused with a PU mapping) that allows you to use the maximum combined power of the ICE and the motogenerator connected to the transmission, i.e. the MGU-K. It is used at the start (of a race), once the 100 Km/h have been reached; and then, in the race, when you need power to defend yourself or to attack. In other words, Binotto's colleagues are convinced that they broke the bones of the opponent, who having to ask too much of its poor (in the sense of mistreated) former Honda unit, ended up cooking the batteries"

This is to be taken with a big pinch of salt.
Just some food for thought
Sounds about right
AKA Hamilton Pressure on Perez. And Max Pressuring himself on Leclerc.
For Sure!!

f1jcw
f1jcw

ringo wrote:
21 Mar 2022, 15:59
siskue2005 wrote:
21 Mar 2022, 12:21
Partymood wrote:
21 Mar 2022, 12:19

Grapefruit juice?

Ok, just kidding :D

Alberto Antonini, former Head of Ferrari's press office, reveals what Ferrari thinks has happened (from what they could see) to the RedBulls.

"Il doppio guasto delle RB18 (anche il testacoda di Perez non è un semplice errore di guida) in Ferrari lo hanno spiegato con il Fattore K-1. Cioè la funzione (da non confondere con una mappatura) che permette di utilizzare la massima potenza combinata del motore termico e del motogeneratore collegato alla trasmissione, ovvero lo MGU-K. Si usa in partenza, una volta raggiunti i 100 orari; e poi, in gara, nei momenti in cui serve potenza per difendersi o per attaccare. In altre parole, i colleghi di Binotto sono convinti di aver spaccato le ossa all’avversario, che dovendo chiedere troppo alla sua povera unit (scusate) ex Honda, ha finito col cuocere le batterie." Alberto Antonini
https://www.formulapassion.it/opinioni/ ... 09558.html

This is the translation:
"The double failure of the RB18s (even Perez's spin is not a simple driving error) is explained in Ferrari with the K-1 factor. That is, the function (not to be confused with a PU mapping) that allows you to use the maximum combined power of the ICE and the motogenerator connected to the transmission, i.e. the MGU-K. It is used at the start (of a race), once the 100 Km/h have been reached; and then, in the race, when you need power to defend yourself or to attack. In other words, Binotto's colleagues are convinced that they broke the bones of the opponent, who having to ask too much of its poor (in the sense of mistreated) former Honda unit, ended up cooking the batteries"

This is to be taken with a big pinch of salt.
Just some food for thought
Sounds about right
AKA Hamilton Pressure on Perez. And Max Pressuring himself on Leclerc.
Will soon find out as won't they need to be replaced?

PlatinumZealot

Some think RedBull have a MUGK that that might be interfering with other electronics. It could be high frequency wave reflectance on the power lines? Could mean honda is controlling the MGUK this a higher frequency of control.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

dialtone
dialtone

I think they just ran out of fuel. They gambled the ability to run their engine as hard as they wanted with less energy recovery to keep up each lap, and fueled more to get it there, but they didn't fuel enough. I saw this from telemetry, very little ERS, so it's really not a surprise that Ferrari engineers would think the same.

Translation: Red Bull's problems during the Bahrain GP were not caused by the fuel pump, sources around the team and FIA motorsport federation confirm.

So not the result of a defective 'standard part’

Team ANTI-HYPE. Prove it, then I’ll anoint you.

Henri
Henri

PlatinumZealot wrote:
21 Mar 2022, 16:42
Some think RedBull have a MUGK that that might be interfering with other electronics. It could be high frequency wave reflectance on the power lines? Could mean honda is controlling the MGUK this a higher frequency of control.
You think their (cheating). ?

silver
silver

Too many wild speculations without any credible line of thinking that help get a good view of the problem Red Bull faced. The only thing I haven't heard yet is someone saying Red Bull was adding Jack Daniel's. Hope to see some clear ideas of where the problems emanated from.

Sulman
Sulman

Slightly muddy article in Autosport, which makes things even murkier:

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/how-a ... n/9187820/

OSC lift pump failure, perhaps? They write it is not the MM standard pump.

Mchamilton
Mchamilton

Pretty interesting quali lap comparison between Lec and Ham

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Mchamilton wrote:
21 Mar 2022, 19:31

Summary: the Ferrari has excellent traction and stability meaning the kerbs are a place it can find time. The Mercedes is not as stable thanks to its floor issues and top speed is hampered by the parachute wings they were forced to run to gain back some of the downforce lost from the floor issues.

If Mercedes can get the car skimming the track like the best of them, they'll be as quick as the Ferrari. The question is: how big an "if" is that?
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

siskue2005

Mchamilton wrote:

Great comparison 👏
Looked alot better than i thought, its just their porposing to sort they should he very close to the top 2
Last edited by siskue2005 on 21 Mar 2022, 20:35, edited 1 time in total.

chrisc90

Just_a_fan wrote:
21 Mar 2022, 20:22
Mchamilton wrote:

Summary: the Ferrari has excellent traction and stability meaning the kerbs are a place it can find time. The Mercedes is not as stable thanks to its floor issues and top speed is hampered by the parachute wings they were forced to run to gain back some of the downforce lost from the floor issues.

If Mercedes can get the car skimming the track like the best of them, they'll be as quick as the Ferrari. The question is: how big an "if" is that?
Be interesting to see how they try to develop their concept. I reckon the PU will be a factor this year. As I mentioned in another post just now, Its hard to see how all the customer teams got their design so wrong to allow them to be lapped.

Out of interest, how did the merc wings compare to the others around it?

Sevach
Sevach

Just_a_fan wrote:
21 Mar 2022, 20:22
Mchamilton wrote:

Or if you look at things from a less generous perspective, Mercedes is running their car closer to the edge of porpoising and still lacking performance.

Mchamilton
Mchamilton