2022 Bahrain Grand Prix - Sakhir, March 18 - 20

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
mzso
mzso

Re: 2022 Bahrain Grand Prix - Sakhir, March 18 - 20

dialtone wrote:
21 Mar 2022, 23:35
codetower wrote:
21 Mar 2022, 23:05

Split screen of Leclerc / Verstappen battle
So this video is super cool, it explains why Leclerc said he had SOC issues. His battery was already empty when he went in the box, so he fought against Verstappen basically without battery all that time, he probably had to push himself to resist the undercut and depleted the battery.

The battery charge is the RED/GREEN bar at the bottom of the display on the wheel.
I think this highlights another plague of F1. The race engineers doing half the driving...
And they of course much of what they say is based on simulations running on computers. Making races as artificial and uneventful as possible.

silver
silver

mzso wrote:
22 Mar 2022, 13:08
dialtone wrote:
codetower wrote:
21 Mar 2022, 23:05

Split screen of Leclerc / Verstappen battle
So this video is super cool, it explains why Leclerc said he had SOC issues. His battery was already empty when he went in the box, so he fought against Verstappen basically without battery all that time, he probably had to push himself to resist the undercut and depleted the battery.

The battery charge is the RED/GREEN bar at the bottom of the display on the wheel.
I think this highlights another plague of F1. The race engineers doing half the driving...
And they of course much of what they say is based on simulations running on computers. Making races as artificial and uneventful as possible.
I don't understand why they didn't fix this at once when they disbarred the quali mode settings in 2020. Once they establish a single engine mode in the parc ferme, it should include all energy deployment settings too. So that the driver can simply focus on driving, rather than worry about deployment settings and be tutored by the race engineer. Just like they found the best compromise for ICE settings, I am sure they will find out the right compromise for energy deployment too.

jknights
jknights

silver wrote:
22 Mar 2022, 15:28
mzso wrote:
dialtone wrote:

I don't understand why they didn't fix this at once when they disbarred the quali mode settings in 2020. Once they establish a single engine mode in the parc ferme, it should include all energy deployment settings too. So that the driver can simply focus on driving, rather than worry about deployment settings and be tutored by the race engineer. Just like they found the best compromise for ICE settings, I am sure they will find out the right compromise for energy deployment too.
I have to agree that the constant coaching is something that should be stopped.
Maybe just cut voice comms to/from the car and have it so if there is an issue then a amber (return to pits) or red (retire car) light goes on on the wheel.

Very cool view of the two drivers' view of the race.

Bring on the next race.

I may have missed it but were there any referrals to the stewards bar the one early coming together.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

silver wrote:
mzso wrote:
dialtone wrote:

Deployment is a tool in the skilled driver's tool box. I think people forget that all of these things are going on in a matter of seconds, with the driver subjected to vibration, noise, heat and g-loadings severe enough to require full athletic conditioning to withstand for a whole race. Driving these cars is not easy and doing so whilst dealing with things like strategic deployment, interacting with their engineer, etc., is what marks the better drivers out. It's also worth remembering that F1 is a team sport - the driver is a single cog in an otherwise complex machinery of people and tools both trackside and in the factory. The driver is singled out, yes, because they're the "glory face" of the team, but no driver in history has succeeded without a decent team around him.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Starbuckle486
Starbuckle486

dialtone wrote:
22 Mar 2022, 03:07
Just_a_fan wrote:
22 Mar 2022, 02:15
dialtone wrote:
21 Mar 2022, 22:03

Pressure is inverse to the square of air speed under the floor. The floor is nowhere near as helpful in slow corners as it is in medium to high speed corners, and not linearly with speed but quadratic.
And the same applies to wings. It's the same physics.
Oh yeah it is, the main difference though being you can easily change the incidence of the wings but you can't easily change the shape of the floor and diffuser. And not even just talking about the setup but also the flexibility of the wings at high speed. So although by not a lot you can change the share of downforce generated by wings vs floor, higher angle of attack will generate more downforce at whatever speed and will contribute more to the total downforce of the car.
There's one more possibly large difference: The floors are dependent on the ride height more than the wings. In slow corners the ride height will increase and the effectiveness of the floor will decrease relative the wings. Lowering the car when turning can help mitigate this.

mzso
mzso

jknights wrote:
22 Mar 2022, 15:36
I have to agree that the constant coaching is something that should be stopped.
Maybe just cut voice comms to/from the car and have it so if there is an issue then a amber (return to pits) or red (retire car) light goes on on the wheel.
Maybe leave them for them to warn about an impending failure and ask to retire the car.
I don't think return to pits notification is necessary. The driver should decide when to change tires, and tell the team to be ready.

mzso
mzso

Just_a_fan wrote:
22 Mar 2022, 15:43
Deployment is a tool in the skilled driver's tool box. I think people forget that all of these things are going on in a matter of seconds, with the driver subjected to vibration, noise, heat and g-loadings severe enough to require full athletic conditioning to withstand for a whole race. Driving these cars is not easy and doing so whilst dealing with things like strategic deployment, interacting with their engineer, etc., is what marks the better drivers out.
I think a driver should mainly distinguish itself by driving.
Just_a_fan wrote:
It's also worth remembering that F1 is a team sport - the driver is a single cog in an otherwise complex machinery of people and tools both trackside and in the factory. The driver is singled out, yes, because they're the "glory face" of the team, but no driver in history has succeeded without a decent team around him.
I don't agree. It's more like the propaganda that that they're feeding us, so teams could enhance their own light. There's only one person sitting in the car.

I think should be codified in the rules actually. With the FIA not recognizing or allowing teams on track. To team orders or any crosstalk. Each driver races to achieve the best position. The team just develops the car and submits two independent competitors. They should even examine and sign racing contracts before allowing a driver to race to avoid breaking the rules and dedicated second drivers.

Big Tea

silver wrote:
mzso wrote:
dialtone wrote:

Its only the same as DRS or brake balance.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

dialtone
dialtone

mzso wrote:
22 Mar 2022, 18:25
Just_a_fan wrote:
Deployment is a tool in the skilled driver's tool box. I think people forget that all of these things are going on in a matter of seconds, with the driver subjected to vibration, noise, heat and g-loadings severe enough to require full athletic conditioning to withstand for a whole race. Driving these cars is not easy and doing so whilst dealing with things like strategic deployment, interacting with their engineer, etc., is what marks the better drivers out.
Just_a_fan wrote:
It's also worth remembering that F1 is a team sport - the driver is a single cog in an otherwise complex machinery of people and tools both trackside and in the factory. The driver is singled out, yes, because they're the "glory face" of the team, but no driver in history has succeeded without a decent team around him.
I don't agree. It's more like the propaganda that that they're feeding us, so teams could enhance their own light. There's only one person sitting in the car.

I think should be codified in the rules actually. With the FIA not recognizing or allowing teams on track. To team orders or any crosstalk. Each driver races to achieve the best position. The team just develops the car and submits two independent competitors. They should even examine and sign racing contracts before allowing a driver to race to avoid breaking the rules and dedicated second drivers.
They have tried not giving any hints to drivers in 2016 and it wasn't better. You wouldn't feel like it's better racing if a driver is spending 4 laps trying to recall what is the right button to press while they are having engine issues.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

mzso wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:
So you think "driving" is just turning the steering wheel and pushing the two pedals?

How about we get rid of the semi-auto gearboxes too and go back to having a clutch pedal and manual selector?

Making use of every tool available to them is driver's job. Managing deployment is no different to managing brake balance - that's something that has been done for many, many years. Or should brake balance adjustments also be banned?
Just_a_fan wrote:
Propaganda? Right. :wtf:
The driver is an employee of the team and as such is subjected to the team's requirements just as any other employer.

Your approach is just saying to all of the people that actually design, build and run the car "you don't matter". Are you actually Jeff Bezos in disguise? :shock:

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

dialtone wrote:
22 Mar 2022, 18:38
mzso wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:

They have tried not giving any hints to drivers in 2016 and it wasn't better. You wouldn't feel like it's better racing if a driver is spending 4 laps trying to recall what is the right button to press while they are having engine issues.
Exactly. The only way you could do this today would be to go back to the cars of the 1980s where there was just a seat, a steering wheel, three pedals and a gear selector. Perhaps that's the real issue here - these people just want to go back to "the good old days".

motobaleno

Just_a_fan wrote:
22 Mar 2022, 02:15
dialtone wrote:
21 Mar 2022, 22:03

Pressure is inverse to the square of air speed under the floor. The floor is nowhere near as helpful in slow corners as it is in medium to high speed corners, and not linearly with speed but quadratic.
And the same applies to wings. It's the same physics.
for the floor there is the further variable of the ride height (decreasing with speed) that makes its effect steeper than quadratic
that's precisely why these cars are slower in slow corners and faster in fast corners (because the fundamental slope of DF with speed is no more quadratic as for a flat floor wing car but it is more than quadratic now)
Last edited by motobaleno on 22 Mar 2022, 18:44, edited 1 time in total.

mzso
mzso

dialtone wrote:
They merely resorted to mafia speak, or just added to fix safety issue, or such. It was dysfunctional.

Also there's no reason for the driver to be able to change so many things.
Just_a_fan wrote:
22 Mar 2022, 18:41
Exactly. The only way you could do this today would be to go back to the cars of the 1980s where there was just a seat, a steering wheel, three pedals and a gear selector. Perhaps that's the real issue here - these people just want to go back to "the good old days".
Certainly not. That's a massive over-exaggeration.

mzso
mzso

Just_a_fan wrote:
So you think "driving" is just turning the steering wheel and pushing the two pedals?

How about we get rid of the semi-auto gearboxes too and go back to having a clutch pedal and manual selector?

Making use of every tool available to them is driver's job. Managing deployment is no different to managing brake balance - that's something that has been done for many, many years. Or should brake balance adjustments also be banned?
It's certainly not about following a chart printed out via computer simulation.
I wasn't against managing deployment, but they should do it on their own.
I see no particular reason for the driver to change brake balance at all.
Just_a_fan wrote:
The driver is an employee of the team and as such is subjected to the team's requirements just as any other employer.

Your approach is just saying to all of the people that actually design, build and run the car "you don't matter". Are you actually Jeff Bezos in disguise? :shock:
Not while the car is being raced.
If the team doesn't like how the driver performs they can replace him.

dialtone
dialtone

mzso wrote:
22 Mar 2022, 18:49
Just_a_fan wrote:

It's certainly not about following a chart printed out via computer simulation.
I wasn't against managing deployment, but they should do it on their own.
I see no particular reason for the driver to change brake balance at all.
How do you gather that they were helping Leclerc (or for the matter Verstappen with all the notes about brake temperature and having 1 attempt) via simulations?

Setting up a simulation requires more information and time than what was available in half a lap. Ferrari wall saw the SOC issues in LEC's car, told him to go from SOC5 to SOC8 to increase energy recovery and went all the way up to 10 (max energy recovery setting) and allowed him use of K-1 (further aggressive deployment mapping which LEC didn't use). If you think you need a simulation to do the above, you probably are not giving much credit to how smart the people on the wall are. If all was simulation based then nobody would ever make strategy errors in race.