2022 Bahrain Grand Prix - Sakhir, March 18 - 20

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
mzso
mzso

Re: 2022 Bahrain Grand Prix - Sakhir, March 18 - 20

By the way did everyone see the B. Sport guy's analysis?

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

mzso wrote:
24 Mar 2022, 00:12
SmallSoldier wrote:
23 Mar 2022, 19:21
If the idea of simplifying things would be what F1 think is best for them, they will go for it… If been ridiculously complex and the fastest car racing series is what they think is best for them, we will continue to have what we do now… I do believe that it is more challenging to drive these cars that it was when it was “simpler”, but is just my opinion.
I think you're a tad misguided. Pushing buttons on order I don't consider driving even, much less racing. And driving to whatever directions the engineer gives, just takes away from actual driver skill and performance, it makes it robotic.

I don't even think it's more challenging. A voice in your ear always whispers the ideal setting, and you just drive the car the easiest way in a given circumstance.
Difference of opinion I guess… My last comment regarding this, because we won’t get anywhere… Without the instructions they receive, they simply wouldn’t be able to make as many adjustments as they do today, therefore they wouldn’t be driving the car at the limit of almost every parameter… Today’s drivers can sit on a 1990’s race car and drive it without issues, 1990’s drivers would have a very hard time driving today’s cars… Is not only been told what to do, is doing it while at the same time you are racing against other drivers in what are the fastest racing cars out there. I believe is way more challenging… You don’t, that’s ok, but it won’t change the fact that they tried to take the communication away and had to bring it back rather quickly.

S E C T I O

Formula 1 got its name because it had only one rule, today an army is needed just to study the rules.And for me, yes, pilots just needs a steering wheel and three pedals. I am not offended by the signs displayed from the box, but that should be all.Driving on the edge shouldn't be easy or comfortable, in my opinion, and mistakes should cost you something, certainly not your life, as it used to be.But maybe,as someone said,I'm just a good old days boy.
-§- Each section is wholeness. Oo==§==oO My english suck,sorry-§-

Marble
Marble

bluechris

As for driver aiding, there can be a solution from both worlds, meaning that you can help your driver 2 or 3 times in the race plus the pitstop.
With this the drivers are not robots (in which i agree) and you cover also want sudden problem that will rise.
Do it like the substitutions in football where the football manager has 3 times the ability to change the team.

kalinka
kalinka

S E C T I O wrote:
24 Mar 2022, 04:26
Formula 1 got its name because it had only one rule, today an army is needed just to study the rules.And for me, yes, pilots just needs a steering wheel and three pedals. I am not offended by the signs displayed from the box, but that should be all.Driving on the edge shouldn't be easy or comfortable, in my opinion, and mistakes should cost you something, certainly not your life, as it used to be.But maybe,as someone said,I'm just a good old days boy.
No.
"In motorsport, the term ‘Formula’ refers to a set of rules and regulations adopted by the organizers, to which all participants must comply with. As for the number ‘One’, it was added to recognize the championship as the premier category in motorsport."

wogx

Kukułka zwyczajna, kukułka pospolita – nazwy ludowe: gżegżółka, zazula (Cuculus canorus) – gatunek średniego ptaka wędrownego z podrodziny kukułek (Cuculinae) w rodzinie kukułkowatych (Cuculidae). Jedyny w Europie Środkowej pasożyt lęgowy. Zamieszkuje strefę umiarkowaną.

S E C T I O

kalinka wrote:
24 Mar 2022, 11:07
S E C T I O wrote:
No.
"In motorsport, the term ‘Formula’ refers to a set of rules and regulations adopted by the organizers, to which all participants must comply with. As for the number ‘One’, it was added to recognize the championship as the premier category in motorsport."
You are actually right when you explain the birth of the name. On the other hand I was not completely wrong because in fact the rule was one: displacement limit of 4500 cubic cm for non-supercharged engines, or 1500 cubic cm supercharged.
-§- Each section is wholeness. Oo==§==oO My english suck,sorry-§-

Big Tea

S E C T I O wrote:
24 Mar 2022, 15:24
kalinka wrote:
S E C T I O wrote:
No.
You are actually right when you explain the birth of the name. On the other hand I was not completely wrong because in fact the rule was one: displacement limit of 4500 cubic cm for non-supercharged engines, or 1500 cubic cm supercharged.
There were many other rules too. Single seat. open wheel etc. But I do think it is time to really simplify the rule book.

Call it F1.1.a.3.x.7.9.g (new)
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

wogx

Big Tea wrote:
24 Mar 2022, 15:50
There were many other rules too. [...] open wheel

Mercedes-Benz W196 "Type Monza" raced four times in F1 and won three of them.

But I do think it is time to really simplify the rule book.
100%
Last edited by wogx on 24 Mar 2022, 22:37, edited 1 time in total.
Kukułka zwyczajna, kukułka pospolita – nazwy ludowe: gżegżółka, zazula (Cuculus canorus) – gatunek średniego ptaka wędrownego z podrodziny kukułek (Cuculinae) w rodzinie kukułkowatych (Cuculidae). Jedyny w Europie Środkowej pasożyt lęgowy. Zamieszkuje strefę umiarkowaną.

Big Tea

wogx wrote:
24 Mar 2022, 16:04
Big Tea wrote:
24 Mar 2022, 15:50
There were many other rules too. [...] open wheel
http://www.laberezina.com/images/2014/V ... W196-2.jpg

Mercedes-Benz W196 "Type Monza" raced three times in F1.

But I do think it is time to really simplify the rule book.
100%
You are right, I never considered that and always thought open wheels was in the rules. then again I thought 4 wheels was until i remember the tyroll

I went looking and found this for interest https://www.tutorialspoint.com/formula_ ... _rules.htm

Not really related and out of date but worth a scan (box on the left)
Last edited by Big Tea on 24 Mar 2022, 17:03, edited 2 times in total.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

.poz
.poz

Tommy Cookers wrote:
23 Mar 2022, 23:33

'very rich fuel/air mix for cooling' gave reduced flame temperature allowing more 'boost' without detonation
(because the fuel was largely unvapourised the flame front was cooled by fuel boiling ?) - said Sam Heron
but today's 400 bar direct injection leaves little fuel unvapourised
the overall gas temperature is set by the charge cooler so doesn't need cooling by in-cylinder fuel boiling
an aerosol and vapor are different things. Even with 400 bar injection the fuel is in a liquid form that instantly evaporates cooling the cylinder. I always thought that using a very rich fuel mix cooled the engine using latent heat of vaporization, maybe i'm wrong

BTW we are off topic :D

Tommy Cookers
Tommy Cookers

kalinka wrote:
.. As for the number ‘One’, it was added to recognize the championship as the premier category in motorsport."
yet again .....

Formula 1 was nothing to do with the championship
(F1 and F2 were adjustments after initial postwar formula-writing was made with A and B)

there was no championship when 1 was invented or first used (1948)
the championship wasn't invented till 1950 (the FIM invented theirs in 1949 so the FIA copied it in 1950)

the championship used Formula 2 cars (not formula 1 cars) in 1952 and 1953
(and the Indy 500 with its cars was in the WDC from 1952 - till 1960 ?)

until the WDC Formula 1 existed without championship rounds
thereafter and until quite recently there were many non-championship F1 races especially in GB and Italy
and some WDC (and non-championship) races had concurrent racing in eg F2 cars

'Monza' W196 ? - the 196 'always' had closed bodywork until MB replaced it with open

wogx

Tommy Cookers wrote:
24 Mar 2022, 21:43
'Monza' W196 ? - the 196 'always' had closed bodywork until MB replaced it with open
They used it once again in 1955.

The W196's delayed debut at the 1954 French Grand Prix saw the introduction of the aerodynamic closed-wheel aluminium "Type Monza" streamliner body for the high speed track at Reims. Juan Manuel Fangio and Karl Kling claimed a 1–2 finish, and Hans Herrmann posted the fastest lap. The same body was later used only three more times: at the 1954 British Grand Prix at Silverstone, 1954 Italian Grand Prix at Monza, where it picked up its nickname in 1954, and at Monza again at the 1955 Italian Grand Prix. In total the "Type Monza" won three races (1954 French Grand Prix, 1954 and 1955 Italian Grand Prix), all with Fangio at the wheel. These three Grands Prix have remained the only races won by a closed-wheel car in Formula One history.

mzso
mzso

I wonder why they didn't stick with it when they knew it gave them a lot less drag.