2022 Bahrain Grand Prix - Sakhir, March 18 - 20

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
GrizzleBoy
GrizzleBoy

Re: 2022 Bahrain Grand Prix - Sakhir, March 18 - 20

Will be very interesting to see how reliability plays out tomorrow.

There are so many things to go wrong on these new cars.

Floor damage is likely to be much more consequential.

Cooling systems in dirty air for a whole race distance.

These new engines dealing with hard racing (as opposed to just lapping) for a whole race distance.

Engines potentially dealing with heavy bouncing for a whole race distance.

Drivers potentially dealing with heavy bouncing for a whole race distance.

Fuel calculations.

Bodywork issues (looking at you Alpine).

Pit stop blunders in real race conditions.

As we saw with the last big regulation change, being fast for a whole race distance could end up being more important than anything for the first couple of races. Reliability has been excellent for the top three teams though.
silver wrote:
20 Mar 2022, 13:52
Top 3 have new Softs available. 3 behind them don't. Magnussen and Alonso has a new set behind them.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FOSk8K3WUAE ... name=small

Pirelli's race strategy prediction.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FOSpKPMXEAA ... name=small
Does this mean that if everyone else in top 8 start on new softs, Sergio, Lewis and Valtteri can only start on used softs or new medium/hard?
Last edited by GrizzleBoy on 20 Mar 2022, 14:10, edited 1 time in total.

Redragon

silver wrote:
20 Mar 2022, 13:52
Top 3 have new Softs available. 3 behind them don't. Magnussen and Alonso has a new set behind them.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FOSk8K3WUAE ... name=small

Pirelli's race strategy prediction.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FOSpKPMXEAA ... name=small
Seen the availity and if Mercedes car is not better on race, I don't know how Russell is going to stay on top 10 and Hamilton hold that position. I think the Damon HIll comment of Mercedes going to have more embarrasment on the race I fear can become a reality.

djones
djones

I wonder if Max will start on softs to get the jump.

You can change compound now in the top 10??

Redragon

djones wrote:
20 Mar 2022, 14:09

Yes you can, the rule of starting with tyres qualified on Q2 is not longer. Every driver choose which tyre use at start

Dee
Dee

djones wrote:
20 Mar 2022, 14:09

I can see a surprise winner today, anyone can run a counter strategy now. Mercedes could go for a 3 stop and hope for a safety car and end on soft

Zynerji

Is it too late to put a $50 on Magnussen to win? 😂

First corner carnage incoming!

AeroDynamic

I'm a Mick fan, but I must say im disappointed how he looked in qualifying vs Magnussen who has been out a year and driving a completely unfamiliar car. Magnussen was never a slow driver but someone must be able to explain to me how Mick was so far behind him?

PlatinumZealot

dialtone wrote:
20 Mar 2022, 04:36
Actually, it's funny that you say RBR is faster everywhere, after T3 RBR is 0.24s ahead in that video, by entry of T4 it's 0.174 ahead and finishes the lap 0.123 behind, but somehow it's faster everywhere? ha :)
Watch again especiallly the loss of grip at the last turn. Max could have been ahead by a tenth i feel. I would say it's tyre degradation that cost him.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

☄️ Myth of the five suns. ☄️

☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️
LxVxFxHxN

PlatinumZealot

JPBD1990 wrote:
20 Mar 2022, 06:12
PlatinumZealot wrote:
20 Mar 2022, 04:16
Leclerc only won on the last corner. The RedBull is fundamentally faster everywhere especially on the straights. I'm not sure how Max lost on the last corner but I'm guessing his tyres faded more than Charles'.

https://youtu.be/Oe8ucnyNUgs
Telemetry suggests your analysis may be incorrect:

If anything, it seems Leclerc had some time on the table while max’s lap seemed executed perfectly.

Everywhere I’ve looked is saying redbull is the favourite for the race. Is this really based on the like 3 laps Ferrari did on Friday, or something more solid?

I guess everyone said they were the favourite for quali too so you just never know.
Just watch the video please. Haha. If you watch it you can compare corner to corner there.

That video uses the FIA telemetry. It's not the old video without the telemetry, it has the telemtery summed up in the car head to head graphic.

Edit: i didnt even know that Marko would back me up.
Ferrari beats Red Bull last corner against Verstappen

Leclerc: "I was struggling with the tires. It was difficult to get them in the window and get the laps together. Only in the last attempt did the tires feel a little better."
"I had my problems. That's why I made a mistake here and there. I was particularly slow in the first sector."

Helmut Marko applauds the red competition: "The Ferrari engine runs like crazy. You can see that in the customer teams."
"Unfortunately, Max lost one and a half tenths in the last corner," regrets sports director Marko. "Even with Perez, the last corner didn't fit."
"Either the front tires were too cold at the beginning of the lap or the rear tires were too warm."
"The falling track temperatures have cost us."
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

☄️ Myth of the five suns. ☄️

☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️
LxVxFxHxN

Big Tea

AeroDynamic wrote:
20 Mar 2022, 14:26
I'm a Mick fan, but I must say im disappointed how he looked in qualifying vs Magnussen who has been out a year and driving a completely unfamiliar car. Magnussen was never a slow driver but someone must be able to explain to me how Mick was so far behind him?
Never been a Mick fan, he is average at best in my view. I would love to see KMag in the high points though
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

AeroDynamic

Big Tea wrote:
20 Mar 2022, 14:45
AeroDynamic wrote:
Never been a Mick fan, he is average at best in my view. I would love to see KMag in the high points though
I hope you are wrong about Mick. Maybe having Nikita Mazepin as team mate has really held him back from growing because he has no good reference, and no team mate who knows how to improve themselves or help find pace in the car, it was all up to Mick, and Mick is a rookie in one of the worse (and small) teams. Hopefully he will learn what Magnussen knows and we will see them closer.

Wouter

Big Tea wrote:
20 Mar 2022, 14:45
AeroDynamic wrote:
Me too!
The Power of Dreams!

shamyakovic
shamyakovic

I thought this was going to be policed better?

SchuMassa
SchuMassa

AeroDynamic wrote:
20 Mar 2022, 13:51
chrisc90 wrote:
20 Mar 2022, 13:46
https://the-race.com/formula-1/mark-hug ... -red-bull/

Interesting read from The-Race. Seems max lost a huge amount of time in the last corner.
Max out qualified in the best car?
Probably tyres went away. But I realize it's easier to troll.

RZS10

shamyakovic wrote:
20 Mar 2022, 14:53
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FOOOc8BXsAg ... name=large

I thought this was going to be policed better?
They apparently did delete his time but the message just wasn't shown ... the graphics were acting up throughout the weekend.