Suggestions for design undertray

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
PhillipM
PhillipM

Re: Suggestions for design undertray

Apart from a tiny amount of toe out would have such a drastic effect on the tyres, life and grip and almost nothing on the aero.

The aero is there to load the tyres and help them out, not vice versa.

godlameroso

PhillipM wrote:
30 Mar 2022, 02:25
Apart from a tiny amount of toe out would have such a drastic effect on the tyres, life and grip and almost nothing on the aero.

You can safely use around half a degree of toe out without affecting tire life, contact patch is not affected by toe, only camber. Last generation cars used a lot of toe out, you could tell from the outer edge blistering in some races in 2018.

Half a degree of toe is roughly 50mm that you've moved the trailing edge of the tire closer to the car. Stick your hand out the window of a moving car and turn your hand 50mm is the aero force significant? What if your hand was the size of the wheel assembly?
Saishū kōnā

Tommy Cookers
Tommy Cookers

godlameroso wrote:
30 Mar 2022, 04:32
Half a degree of toe is roughly 50mm that you've moved the trailing edge of the tire closer to the car. Stick your hand out the window of a moving car and turn your hand 50mm is the aero force significant? What if your hand was the size of the wheel assembly?
yet more of godl's nonsense !

half a degree of toe is roughly 5mm

toe is slip
with half a degree of slip the tyre will generate roughly 0.5 - 1 'g' worth of side-force - that's a lot of force

godlameroso

Tommy Cookers wrote:
30 Mar 2022, 09:03
godlameroso wrote:

toe is slip
with half a degree of slip the tyre will generate roughly 0.5 - 1 'g' worth of side-force - that's a lot of force
We are both wrong.

.24 degrees = 1/4 inch of toe which equals 6mm.

Half a degree is 12mm.

And if both tires have the same toe there is zero thrust steer.

If what I say is nonsense then how come I was right about the Mercedes car not being very good?
Saishū kōnā

Tzk
Tzk

Fluido wrote:
29 Mar 2022, 15:56
So basicly all the area(red area) from front to back wheels is useless?
No, it's not. Don't look at every part of the floor separately. The diffusor can still suck air in from the sides and air can still travel outside behind the frontwheels.

There's no perfect guide you can follow to get a good floor. It's always a function of the general shape of the car as well as the wing you want to use and other flow conditioners around the car.

PhillipM
PhillipM

godlameroso wrote:
PhillipM wrote:
30 Mar 2022, 02:25

You can safely use around half a degree of toe out without affecting tire life, contact patch is not affected by toe, only camber. Last generation cars used a lot of toe out, you could tell from the outer edge blistering in some races in 2018.

One, your maths is massively out.
Two, toe out blisters the inner tire edge, not the outer.
Three, half a degree of toe out is massive.
Four, the last generation of cars were almost exclusively running toe in on the rear and toe out on the front. The only exception was some of the Monaco spec setups.
Five, toe settings generate more heat and wear than the camber settings you'd run sensibly ever does, by an order of magnitude #-o
Last edited by PhillipM on 30 Mar 2022, 13:36, edited 1 time in total.

PhillipM
PhillipM

godlameroso wrote:
30 Mar 2022, 12:42
We are both wrong.

https://robrobinette.com/images/S2000/A ... anual4.jpg

Half a degree is 12mm.

If what I say is nonsense then how come I was right about the Mercedes car not being very good?

You do realise those numbers only apply for the S2000 with that specific wheel and tyre combo, right? You can't just nick the numbers out of your service manual and expect them to apply to every vehicle?
Any sort of performance car needing a full length diffuser is going to be on slicks that generate peak grip at a couple percent of slip, not the 8-10% of a road tyre.
So yes, adding half a degree to the rear tyres of toe out to generate tenths of a percent of aero loading extra is pretty insane.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

godlameroso wrote:
Tommy Cookers wrote:
godlameroso wrote:

toe is slip
We are both wrong.

Half a degree is 12mm.

The 0.24 is not degrees, it's inches. 6mm is 0.24in. There are no degrees in that set up information.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Rodak
Rodak

Five, toe settings generate more heat and wear than the camber settings you'd run sensibly ever does, by an order of magnitude
Yep. When I was racing FF2000 we had issues generating heat in the front tires. The solution was to change the toe. Worked a charm.....

Fluido
Fluido

Wheel toe in/out is setting for handling not aerodynamics...

I dont know you are kidding or what?

godlameroso

Just_a_fan wrote:
30 Mar 2022, 13:38
godlameroso wrote:
Tommy Cookers wrote:

toe is slip
We are both wrong.

Half a degree is 12mm.

The 0.24 is not degrees, it's inches. 6mm is 0.24in. There are no degrees in that set up information.
degrees and inches are really close that you can call a quarter degree about a quarter inch. A 1 foot diameter circle has a 3.14 foot radius, 12x3.14 = 37.68 inches 360 degrees in a circle. Off by one golden ratio.
Saishū kōnā

godlameroso

Fluido wrote:
30 Mar 2022, 16:33
Wheel toe in/out is setting for handling not aerodynamics...

I dont know you are kidding or what?
I'm serious.
Saishū kōnā

PhillipM
PhillipM

godlameroso wrote:
30 Mar 2022, 17:05

degrees and inches are really close that you can call a quarter degree about a quarter inch. A 1 foot diameter circle has a 3.14 foot radius, 12x3.14 = 37.68 inches 360 degrees in a circle. Off by one golden ratio.
When was the last time you saw a wheel and tyre that was 1ft in circumference :wtf:

godlameroso

PhillipM wrote:
30 Mar 2022, 13:32
godlameroso wrote:
We are both wrong.

Half a degree is 12mm.

You do realise those numbers only apply for the S2000 with that specific wheel and tyre combo, right? You can't just nick the numbers out of your service manual and expect them to apply to every vehicle?
Any sort of performance car needing a full length diffuser is going to be on slicks that generate peak grip at a couple percent of slip, not the 8-10% of a road tyre.
So yes, adding half a degree to the rear tyres of toe out to generate tenths of a percent of aero loading extra is pretty insane.
Lol that's for a wheel tire combo that's a similar diameter to what F1 runs. Removing tire squirt from the equation is worth a lot, it doesn't suddenly stop mattering just because you don't like me. I don't like you and I can admit when you have a point.
Saishū kōnā

godlameroso

PhillipM wrote:
30 Mar 2022, 17:12
godlameroso wrote:
30 Mar 2022, 17:05

When was the last time you saw a wheel and tyre that was 1ft in circumference :wtf:
it doesn't matter, the proportion is the same. 2/1 is the same if you have 16/8 or 512/256.
Saishū kōnā