Opinion on 2022 regulations

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
f1jcw
f1jcw

Re: Opinion on 2022 regulations

Spacepace wrote:
13 Jun 2022, 00:34
I'd be all for active suspension and dampers of any sort for next year but it would be unfair for teams that have got it right this year even though they are running away with it.
and yet FRIC rules which gave Merc an advantage were amend in season. Why wasn't that unfair to them, but to do for other features would now be suddenly unfair.

Stu

Yes, it was. The FIA took a stance that it was an aerodynamic device (and,therefore, illegal); whether there were protests pushing them towards that decision we do not know. Lotus/Genii had a system before Mercedes and we’re equally negatively affected by the removal - worse tbf.
On the subject of active, who thinks that if made legal tomorrow any team would have the resources to design, implement, tune and fail-safe such a system ‘in-season’? Oh, it would also have to be bolt-in to current suspension systems.
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

f1jcw
f1jcw

Stu wrote:
13 Jun 2022, 14:13
Yes, it was. The FIA took a stance that it was an aerodynamic device (and,therefore, illegal);

On the subject of active, who thinks that if made legal tomorrow any team would have the resources to design, implement, tune and fail-safe such a system ‘in-season’? Oh, it would also have to be bolt-in to current suspension systems.
1. Surly safety takes precedence over aerodynamic device rules.

2. Why remove hydraulic suspensions at a time they will be most needed, that smells a bit

UlleGulle
UlleGulle

It was painful to watch HAM get out of that car. And it needs to stop. But I think we need to have a discussion about the plank.

It was introduced following the loss of Senna, with the explicit intent of stopping cars from running to low, and thereby gaining to much, and perhaps to unpredictable downforce. Therefore, there is also a rule that says only 1 mm can be worn down during the race.

My guesstimation is that Mercedes was purpoising for about a third of the lap at Baku. With a race length of 306 km, that means they were hitting that floor repeatedly for about a 100 km, and doing this at speeds between 200 and 335 km/h. And still, they didn't shave a millimeter off.

I think FIA needs to take a good and long look at the rules concerning the metal skidplates. During the era of high rake, they were a cool feature with their sparks, but not now.

At the moment, they are clearly preventing the function and the intent of the plank.

toraabe
toraabe

Re introduce the heave damper so the rear can raise when going fast. Case solved

Zynerji

How about:

The engineers in the teams build the best car to the regulations, and those that are not good simply fall behind?

f1jcw
f1jcw

Zynerji wrote:
13 Jun 2022, 19:20
How about:

The engineers in the teams build the best car to the regulations, and those that are not good simply fall behind?
As I said, why didn’t that stand for 2014-2021 when they kept altering the rules to stop Merc, why did we get countless moaning? Why did it not stand when McLaren and Ferrari were at the top.

Zynerji

f1jcw wrote:
13 Jun 2022, 19:23
Zynerji wrote:
How about:

As I said, why didn’t that stand for 2014-2021 when they kept altering the rules to stop Merc, why did we get countless moaning? Why did it not stand when McLaren and Ferrari were at the top.
FIA is now under New Management. I'd expect differences with the past, by definition.

f1jcw
f1jcw

Zynerji wrote:
13 Jun 2022, 19:45
f1jcw wrote:
Zynerji wrote:
How about:

FIA is now under New Management. I'd expect differences with the past, by definition.
Nope, you can’t use that excuse.
This is "fans" saying they can’t change the regs even for safety, I say why not, when we’ve had to put up with it through the past years when it was not even a safety measure.

If the rules are impacting drivers health then it needs to change and no hypocrisy from fans should stand in the way.

Zynerji

f1jcw wrote:
13 Jun 2022, 19:49
Zynerji wrote:
13 Jun 2022, 19:45
f1jcw wrote:

Nope, you can’t use that excuse.
This is "fans" saying they can’t change the regs even for safety, I say why not, when we’ve had to put up with it through the past years when it was not even a safety measure.

If the rules are impacting drivers health then it needs to change and no hypocrisy from fans should stand in the way.
I can say what I want. Bottom line is that some teams got it right, others did not.

We don't need a rule change, we need more time for convergence.

And it's NOT the rules that is causing health concerns, only the decisions of the teams can be held accountable for that!

#GetGoodOrSTFU
Last edited by Zynerji on 13 Jun 2022, 19:57, edited 1 time in total.

chrisc90

How do you change the rules to make it 'safe' though? You raise the ride height...something which the teams are free to do at present, providing it meets or exceeds the minimum height specified in the regulations after quali and after the race.

What other ways do you make it safe for the drivers, apart from adding a max vertical G sensor that teams have to adhere to or they forfeit the car due to being unsafe for the driver.

Toto is definitely creating himself a platform, and the pure reason for this is because Mercedes has the worst car on the grid for porpoising. If he was in red bull's position, who have done a hell of a job on their car this season (again) would he be complaining about changing the rules to suit his teams poor design? of course he doesnt.

He needs to take a phrase out of his own books.... He should stop being a 'windbag because he is not top of the timesheet'
Last edited by chrisc90 on 13 Jun 2022, 20:00, edited 1 time in total.

Zynerji

chrisc90 wrote:
13 Jun 2022, 19:56
How do you change the rules to make it 'safe' though? You raise the ride height...something which the teams are free to do at present, providing it meets or exceeds the minimum height specified in the regulations after quali and after the race.
He wants pain for the better teams, not just equality. He wraps it in other platitudes, but it's just whinging.

chrisc90

Zynerji wrote:
13 Jun 2022, 19:59
chrisc90 wrote:
He wants pain for the better teams, not just equality. He wraps it in other platitudes, but it's just whinging.
To quote Toto from last year.....Being a 'Windbag because he aint top of the time sheet'. How very fitting.

Edax
Edax

chrisc90 wrote:

What other ways do you make it safe for the drivers, apart from adding a max vertical G sensor that teams have to adhere to or they forfeit the car due to being unsafe for the driver.
As far as I can see this is the only sensible thing to do. If porpoissing cost lap time then it would be gone in a week for all teams. But it seems to pay off to be at the edge of human comfort.

What they could do is to introduce a manual adjustment possibility. It should be relatively easy to install a key based system so they could adjust ride height during a pit stop. Such a system could avoid outright disqualification, and turn it into a warning to adjust.

Sieper

7 years I have watched Max in the 3rd best car, sometimes 2nd best in phases of the season, but bar last year always on a respectable distance to Mercedes, sometimes even an unsurmountable distance. I accepted that. Mercedes was better.

Now Mercedes has built a “shitbox” (I quote Sir Hamilton here) and not even 8 races in of 1 season and FIA wil turn it around for them and reintroduce the unpolicible hydraulic suspension?

Can this really be true? Is it not time for Mercedes to be the third team until they improve, the ruleset was clear and teams have made it work.

And was this then perhaps always the play, develop a no compromise downforce car and then get the needed hydraulic suspension via a FIA powerplay. Let other teams compromise on weight of floor and ride height and then with the hydraulics back their concepts are screwed as they can’t get to that ultimate downforce.