2022 Spanish Grand Prix - Catalunya, May 20 - 22

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
aran.vtec
aran.vtec

Re: 2022 Spanish Grand Prix - Catalunya, May 20 - 22

I didn't get a chance to watch much of the practice sessions but was there any car on the grid that had porposing/bouncing during the weekend?

seeing that they had it during testing we know it had nothing todo with the track and that the updates all the teams brought solved the issue?

F1NAC

aran.vtec wrote:
23 May 2022, 11:13
I didn't get a chance to watch much of the practice sessions but was there any car on the grid that had porposing/bouncing during the weekend?

seeing that they had it during testing we know it had nothing todo with the track and that the updates all the teams brought solved the issue?
It didn't solve completely.

aran.vtec wrote:
23 May 2022, 11:13

It seemed less but it was a lot hotter too. I dont know if the heat affecting the density had anything to do with the reduced porposing or if it was all down to updates. Probably have to wait for Canada to be sure.

AMG.Tzan

Artur Craft wrote:
23 May 2022, 03:27
ringo wrote:
22 May 2022, 18:15
Alonso, Riciardo, Vettel, these guys are getting smashed. Hamilton at least has the pace.
He is doing well at his age to even be as quick as he is and having the race stamina.
:?
Alonso is 90% of the time way faster than Ocon. :o (ignoring misfortunes) Vettel is not outpaced by Stroll often, either

Meanwhile, LH was Latifi like on Jeddah and Imola

And you talk like you are the reasonable member patronizing all the "dumb" LH haters like me, let´s say :?: :!:
5 months ago the guy was smashing Verstapen 4 races straight until Masi decided to change the outcome of the championship for the sake of "the show"! And he has been doing this for year after year!

Do you really think he has forgotten how to drive?? :lol:

Let me tell you the truth! Russell did adapt a bit better to the W13 but he has also been helped by the SC in Australia and Miami were Lewis was clearly faster in the race! At Spain even though Hamilton started behind Russell his pace showed that he was clearly way faster than Russell in the race!

We can talk about Imola and Jeddah all day long but it's as simple as it can be! Lewis simply didn't get it right...so what? Does this erase all the other times Lewis did get it right?? I don't think so... :wink:

P.S. We're still talking about Alonso and how he has been smashing midfield drivers for years now! It's a totally different thing battling midfield drivers, like Ocon, Gasly or even Vettel now, and battling Hamilton, Verstapen or Leclerc who are the absolute best!
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis

pantherxxx
pantherxxx

What this race showed is that although Mercedes fixed their porpoising issues and improved their pace, they're still behind Ferrari and Red Bull.

Hamilton's comeback shows that he reduced the gap to Verstappen by 9 seconds, but it's worth baring in mind that this stat is slightly misleading.

Hamilton emerged 50ish seconds behind Max and 40 behind Russell.

BUT both those drivers lost an extra 20 seconds by making an extra Pitstop after the 50/40 second datapoint. Take that into account and Max stretched another 10 seconds over the race length but lost 10 seconds in the spin so effectively was still 20 seconds faster.

He gained 10 seconds on George taking the above into account.

As he entered the pit lane on Lap 1 he was 17 seconds behind Max and around 15 behind George.

SiLo

pantherxxx wrote:
23 May 2022, 14:11
What this race showed is that although Mercedes fixed their porpoising issues and improved their pace, they're still behind Ferrari and Red Bull.

Hamilton's comeback shows that he reduced the gap to Verstappen by 9 seconds, but it's worth baring in mind that this stat is slightly misleading.

BUT both those drivers lost an extra 20 seconds by making an extra Pitstop after the 50/40 second datapoint. Take that into account and Max stretched another 10 seconds over the race length but lost 10 seconds in the spin so effectively was still 20 seconds faster.

He gained 10 seconds on George taking the above into account.

As he entered the pit lane on Lap 1 he was 17 seconds behind Max and around 15 behind George.
Lewis was over the race, about 2.5 tenths faster than Russell, and 2.5 tenths slower than Max. So I would say Max being stuck behind Russell was probably worth another 2.5 tenths minimum.

It's a clear positive step for Mercedes to the point where they might be challenging Perez, and maybe Sainz on a good day, but not quite at Leclerc and Max pace yet.
Felipe Baby!

ringo

You also have to factor that George and Lewis had to slow considerably in the last couple laps because of coolant leaks.
For Sure!!

mrluke
mrluke

pantherxxx wrote:
23 May 2022, 14:11

That's not correct.

After Max went off the gap between them both was 50 seconds

When Ham had to back off at the end that had reduced to 40 seconds.

Over those 55 laps, Ham had gained 10 seconds.

Sieper

after Max cleared Perez (no fight, team order) he went into "drive home" mode.

Max and Russell both also lost a lot of time when Russell was harvesting all lap to defend on the straight. Sound strategy but suboptimal for laptime. I don't think Mercedes is fully there yet on pace.

chrisc90

Agree with the above, but look how much time George lost up until about lap 8. I mean that’s probably 8-9seconds over the same number of laps.

That was shown by how much max and Charles dropped p3 and behind.

Merc still have a long way to go imho

Mchamilton
Mchamilton

Like toto said after the race, theyve reduced the pace deficit from 1 second to half a second.

Big Tea

We can not really compare a straight time difference as Ham had to catch and overtake cars off his own bat while the leaders would have had blue flag assistance, and the leaders fought with each other which is about position not gained time. My feeling is that although Ham made very good time the Merc is still the better part of half a second slower than the top two cars over a racing lap with all else being equal. Had the two Ferrari still been ahead and Ham not had his collision I think we would have seen a different race unfold with faster times and the Mercs 5 and 6 but not sure which order.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Juzh

Anyone noticed just how slow cars looked this race? Seriously, they behaved like mules in S1 and S2 and were monstrously lazy in third sector over those high kerbs, I don't remember when I've last seen an f1 car so out of sorts on a track. Laptimes were on average around 5s slower than last year.

Sieper

Yes. I noticed that more often. These newer cars with their ground effect aero and higher weight are not as nimble.

Somewhat closer racing is possible. But still DRS is needed, even when having a pace difference of say .8 second (max on George). But OK, Spain is tough to overtake on. Not sure if I like it. Not really.

Sevach
Sevach

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/anal ... /10309621/

Fairly solid breakdown of Hamilton's pace.