2022 Spanish Grand Prix - Catalunya, May 20 - 22

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
chrisc90

Re: 2022 Spanish Grand Prix - Catalunya, May 20 - 22

maxxer wrote:
23 May 2022, 18:47
chrisc90 wrote:
23 May 2022, 18:30
Mchamilton wrote:
23 May 2022, 18:10

The merc doesnt step out at all, watchin lewis and kevina onboard, its kevin that looks to have a tiny snap and ocercorrects which puts him into lewis. Lewis onboard shows he doesnt change his steering angle at all
Dont need to change steering angle to achieve understeer. Thats why its called understeer. You can quite clearly see Lewis's car move about a foot/12" away from the line he was taking around the corner
Thats what im seeing on this onboard to me it looks ham was in trouble in that corner and magnussen actually kept him on track :-)
Exactly how I see it too. Probably the Mediums not fully biting and holding their own on the corner. There are other factors that could have affected it...Lewis could have accelerated hard, which could have made the car veer outwards. But without the telemetry we will never know. Id be quite shocked if he didnt know Mag was there though.

Mag probably seen a decent space to get his car through, providing Lewis didnt move a foot away from the line Mag was probably intending his car to take.

Racing incident of course, but nobody can take away the fact the Merc understeered, which ultimately caused the collision. Quite shocked there was no 'He turned in on me' radio shown after that.

dfegan358
dfegan358

Hi guys, I only seen some small clips of the race, plan on. Watching full replay later.

Seen some quotes regarding Lewis having some incredible pace during the middle of race. Also max had very strong stint also.

Just to clarify, if leclerc did not have engine trouble how likely is it that he would have won. Or would it have been very close towards the end?

Thanks

SirBastianVettel
SirBastianVettel

dfegan358 wrote:
23 May 2022, 19:19
Just to clarify, if leclerc did not have engine trouble how likely is it that he would have won. Or would it have been very close towards the end?
I’d say Leclerc would have won the race with about 90% certainty. He had great pace and most importantly Ferrari managed to fix the issue with tire degradation that plagued them the previous two Grands Prix.

chrisc90

dfegan358 wrote:
Hi guys, I only seen some small clips of the race, plan on. Watching full replay later.

Seen some quotes regarding Lewis having some incredible pace during the middle of race. Also max had very strong stint also.

Thanks
Hindsight a lovely thing, but we will never know. If Max hadnt lost it into the gravel then would have been a good race, but given the DRS bother he had, probably would have struggled to get past, unless did a undercut which was strong.

Mchamilton
Mchamilton

chrisc90 wrote:
Mchamilton wrote:
maxxer wrote:
23 May 2022, 18:07

Whoops merc stepped out mag tried to react
The merc doesnt step out at all, watchin lewis and kevina onboard, its kevin that looks to have a tiny snap and ocercorrects which puts him into lewis. Lewis onboard shows he doesnt change his steering angle at all
Dont need to change steering angle to achieve understeer. Thats why its called understeer. You can quite clearly see Lewis's car move about a foot/12" away from the line he was taking around the corner
Read the post i replied to 'the merc stepped out' that phrase is typically used to describe an oversteer moment. Hence my reply.

Mchamilton
Mchamilton

maxxer wrote:
chrisc90 wrote:
Mchamilton wrote:

Thats what im seeing on this onboard to me it looks ham was in trouble in that corner and magnussen actually kept him on track :-)
Youre obviously seeing imaginary things then arent you mate

dialtone
dialtone

SirBastianVettel wrote:
23 May 2022, 19:23
dfegan358 wrote:
I’d say Leclerc would have won the race with about 90% certainty. He had great pace and most importantly Ferrari managed to fix the issue with tire degradation that plagued them the previous two Grands Prix.
100% he would have won, he was on a 2 stop strategy, changes the softs after 21, then 30 laps on medium then another 15 on softs, he would have finished with 30 seconds on Verstappen and 40+ on everyone else at least.

dialtone
dialtone

With a BIG premise that Lewis had an amazing race and had very impressive pace, close to what Verstappen did, easily the 3rd best driver on track yesterday. I went and checked one lap (could check more but I bet it's the same story) between him and Russell and I picked lap 40:

Lap 40 because Ham has 18 lap old mediums while Russell has 4 lap old mediums and yet Ham is 0.6s faster that lap. IMHO by looking at it Russell wasn't pushing the car any more because he was concerned about tyre degradation. Slow through T4 and T9, in S3 Russell is basically never full throttle, my script considers almost all of S3 as a corner because of that, in all corners Russell is braking earlier and is more gentle.

I think there was some difference in setup between the 2 and Russell had much worse tyre deg through the race compared to Hamilton, the difference is so huge that I don't think it's driving style, Russell is really nursing those tyres.

chrisc90

Mchamilton wrote:
23 May 2022, 20:01
chrisc90 wrote:
Mchamilton wrote:

Read the post i replied to 'the merc stepped out' that phrase is typically used to describe an oversteer moment. Hence my reply.
You say Kevin corrects into lewis. But go back, watch the clip and see the Merc move out away from the kerb. The Merc understeered into Kevin.

The car infront of lewis doesnt drift out from the corner.

Tvetovnato
Tvetovnato

maxxer wrote:
chrisc90 wrote:
Mchamilton wrote:

Next time, please read your comment at least once before posting it, to make sure it's worthy of posting. Thanks!

Mchamilton
Mchamilton

chrisc90 wrote:
23 May 2022, 20:17
Mchamilton wrote:
chrisc90 wrote:

You say Kevin corrects into lewis. But go back, watch the clip and see the Merc move out away from the kerb. The Merc understeered into Kevin.

You do realise the racing line through any corner requires you to move outwards from the apex on the exit kerb? Lewis was on medium so yeah he likely understeered more than most, but it was hardly any understeer at all. Kevins car moved towards Lewis as much as Lewis' did towards kevins. Hence racing incident

Tvetovnato
Tvetovnato

Mchamilton wrote:
23 May 2022, 20:38
chrisc90 wrote:
23 May 2022, 20:17
Mchamilton wrote:

You do realise the racing line through any corner requires you to move outwards from the apex on the exit kerb? Lewis was on medium so yeah he likely understeered more than most, but it was hardly any understeer at all. Kevins car moved towards Lewis as much as Lewis' did towards kevins. Hence racing incident
Your effort to explain the most basic of things to see/understand is admirable, but against these kind of posts, there is no winning. Even if they would somehow realize what’s happening, they will find another thing to complain about.

mvfad

dialtone wrote:
23 May 2022, 20:13
[...]
I think there was some difference in setup between the 2 and Russell had much worse tyre deg through the race compared to Hamilton, the difference is so huge that I don't think it's driving style, Russell is really nursing those tyres.
I believe the plan for Russell was just 1 stop. That's why he didn't push the pace when he put on the mediums, maybe he was thinking about going until the end of the race with those tires. But from the post-race interviews, I also believe they were actually testing different settings, perhaps related to tire pressures, who knows?!

It would be interesting to see this telemetry comparing the final part when both drivers were on soft tires.

atanatizante

What conclusion can we take from the lap 55 and 56 analysis between PER, HAM and SAI?
Bear in mind that all the cars had the same amount of fuel, drivers were on full speed with no known car issues at that time and the same soft tyres but of different ages (3/4 laps PER, 7/8 laps HAM and 10/11 laps for SAI) ... although some could argue that PER and SAI aren`t the lead drivers in their teams ...

On another note, what could be the real reason for both Merc drivers: PU overheating, water leak for HAM or just they fueled the car less hoping that it`ll be at least a VSC phase in the race?

Then what could we tell about the maximum speeds between the Merc drivers bearing in mind that Toto said they chose different setups here:

"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

dialtone
dialtone

Lap 55

Lap 56

Sainz basically is saving tyres a lot, I think his pace actually was good but only for the first few laps of each stint, then it degraded fast, the medium stint from Ham that is very talked about, Sainz was actually faster than Hamilton at the start of that stint, but sadly his tyres fell off quickly. Given we know that the car had diffuser damage, it's likely because it lost downforce and caused the rear tyres to chew out, and if you check Sainz throttle application you can see how slow he is at putting the car in full throttle, especially in S3.

And by the look of lap 56 I don't think Perez is pushing the car particularly hard, slower acceleration than Hamilton, slower T4 and T9 to save tyres.

Hamilton on his side he's clearly doing a lot of energy recovery at the end of straights or trying to save the engine from overheating because the top speed isn't there, but he's taking advantage of everything else.

all imho