2022 Monaco Grand Prix - Monte Carlo, May 27 - 29

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.

Re: 2022 Monaco Grand Prix - Monte Carlo, May 27 - 29

chrisc90 wrote:
30 May 2022, 13:33
214270 wrote:
30 May 2022, 13:21
Folks are preoccupied with the stewards decision but the major thing which isn’t being discussed is the FIA taking a sledgehammer to any clarifications/circuit specific inclusions in the RDs notes which might differ from the sporting regs. To conclude that the RDs notes have no weight relative to the sporting regs is dumb. There absolutely needs to be a mechanism for separate instruction which might be in tension with the regs; every circuit is different. Not sure how track limits is to be addressed moving forward for example.
Track limits was always the outside of the white line for this year I believe.
We’ve had track limits not being observed at certain corners this year like imola
Team ANTI-HYPE. Prove it, then I’ll anoint you.

bonjon1979
bonjon1979

F1NAC wrote:
30 May 2022, 12:22
Abysmal race direction...

Freaking Albon holding Leclerc for whole lap and not getting punished... absolute joke... give them the championship already

https://mobile.twitter.com/bozkayaenver ... Rm5SkwQ2uQ
To be fair to Albon, he’s on slicks v inters so is really on the quicker tyre and accelerating away on the straights

F1NAC

bonjon1979 wrote:
30 May 2022, 13:48
F1NAC wrote:

Freaking Albon holding Leclerc for whole lap and not getting punished... absolute joke... give them the championship already

To be fair to Albon, he’s on slicks v inters so is really on the quicker tyre and accelerating away on the straights
Yet he never pulled away. He was waved with blue flags and wasn't punished.

This pisses me off.. backmarkers influencing on race results.

Either scrap the blue flag rule or punish those that do not obey.

How hard is it to employ PERMANENT race director and race stewards in the most prestigious racing series.. just stick to the damn book.

ema00
ema00

bonjon1979 wrote:
F1NAC wrote:

are you serious? from the video he is lapping 1.08+sector 1 that is almost 1.30, leclerc would have lapped in 1.25 while drinking a whiskey

wogx

Kukułka zwyczajna, kukułka pospolita – nazwy ludowe: gżegżółka, zazula (Cuculus canorus) – gatunek średniego ptaka wędrownego z podrodziny kukułek (Cuculinae) w rodzinie kukułkowatych (Cuculidae). Jedyny w Europie Środkowej pasożyt lęgowy. Zamieszkuje strefę umiarkowaną.

dialtone
dialtone

bonjon1979 wrote:
F1NAC wrote:

There's no fairness to albon, he was slower, by a lot.

LEC lap 20 behind albon and lap 21 back into the pits for slicks.

T1 is "inverted" as in lap 20 albon was in the pits still, lap 21 albon goes long in T1, that was at least 0.2-0.3 just on that brake point. Then LEC loses 1 full second in S2 and he was gaining in S3 too but then LEC pits.

With that extra slow lap as well LEC missed out on maxing out the tyre grip for those 3 laps, which instead Checo could do.

Latifi and Albon massacred Ferrari's race. Ferrari would have finished 1-3 instead of 2-4, even with the error from the pits.

hollus

jz11 wrote:
30 May 2022, 12:41
what I'm wondering about is if mods are very good at deleting "Albon is ex RB, he did it on purpose" messages or the forum has actually grown up slightly :D
The latter.
Rivals, not enemies.

Sieper

Williams does need to improve, you cannot cost someone multiple seconds, that is unfair.

Will Haas need to strengthen the gearbox-engine connection? Not a good look if the car comes apart that easily.

Shrieker

Watto wrote:
30 May 2022, 07:51
From Max's onboard it looked like he was well over,

From LeClerc's it looked on the line but not sure it was over, without perhaps an overhead or another angle to show more clearly, wasn't the best quality footage with the wet.
And this is the problem with the braindead change from last year, innit. Far, far easier to police whether a tire made contact with the line at all or not.

They make these changes to create controversy I swear. I would give them the benefit of doubt if the abu dhabi fiasco hadn't happened.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

morefirejules08
morefirejules08

Watto wrote:
30 May 2022, 13:00
morefirejules08 wrote:
30 May 2022, 12:51
Watto wrote:
30 May 2022, 12:24

Overall I am just trying say when people call for stewards decisions bias they are often being selective themselves.

I think the stewards can be very inconsistent from race to race witch becomes frustrating. People white about Max or Lewis complaining 'he crossed the line' 'thats dangerous driving' read way too much into some of incidents and so on. When perhaps in the end there is very very little difference to who really get the advantage.Just often the rules are applied differently at time. The rules though are prbably pretty intentional written the way they are so the stewards are never really wrong with a certain level of vagueness. Last year there were Lewis fans accusing Max s thinf and Maxs fans of Lewis
I agree there is inconsistency in stewards decisions, but at the same time many fans don’t look at the nuances between incidents. Like the one I highlighted in your reply, if you remove all context and nuance, then both MV and LH both “ignored” yellow flags yet it wasn’t as black and white as that.
Yeah and in hindsight that was a poor one on my part. Was just trying to pull a few form the top of my head.

Even not on a rules thing the Russel is making Lewis look bad I think is selective too, this in Monaco probably but when track position is everything, harsh on Lewis, last weekend Russel finished ahead of Lewis but gee I though LH race pace was a lot better overall.
Yeah the Russell Hamilton battle this year is a perfect example of fans taking a situation without any context and using it to enforce their own narrative.

Watto
Watto

Shrieker wrote:
30 May 2022, 15:11
Watto wrote:

From LeClerc's it looked on the line but not sure it was over, without perhaps an overhead or another angle to show more clearly, wasn't the best quality footage with the wet.
And this is the problem with the braindead change from last year, innit. Far, far easier to police whether a tire made contact with the line at all or not.

They make these changes to create controversy I swear. I would give them the benefit of doubt if the abu dhabi fiasco hadn't happened.
Yeah agree I think on the line is much easier to monitor over is pretty hard, some benefit if they were on the line by a mm or so.

But if they are consistent with the ruling all year I think its find if it becomes inconsistency *cough* then thats when its going to be frustrating.

Rules are always written in such a way though that it allows for some variation and they are still right which becomes annoying track limits last year was a great example never really the same.

Big Tea

Watto wrote:
30 May 2022, 15:18
Shrieker wrote:
Watto wrote:

Yeah agree I think on the line is much easier to monitor over is pretty hard, some benefit if they were on the line by a mm or so.

But if they are consistent with the ruling all year I think its find if it becomes inconsistency *cough* then thats when its going to be frustrating.

Rules are always written in such a way though that it allows for some variation and they are still right which becomes annoying track limits last year was a great example never really the same.
Maybe another fudge definition like 'obviously on the line' which has some leeway but can be ignored if only exceeded by fractions.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Cassius
Cassius

dialtone wrote:
30 May 2022, 14:13
bonjon1979 wrote:
F1NAC wrote:

There's no fairness to albon, he was slower, by a lot.

https://i.imgur.com/Eq7Q8kj.png

LEC lap 20 behind albon and lap 21 back into the pits for slicks.

T1 is "inverted" as in lap 20 albon was in the pits still, lap 21 albon goes long in T1, that was at least 0.2-0.3 just on that brake point. Then LEC loses 1 full second in S2 and he was gaining in S3 too but then LEC pits.

With that extra slow lap as well LEC missed out on maxing out the tyre grip for those 3 laps, which instead Checo could do.

Latifi and Albon massacred Ferrari's race. Ferrari would have finished 1-3 instead of 2-4, even with the error from the pits.
You are using 2 Leclerc laps to prove a point. If you want to do a proper analysis add Albon. You cannot compare two different laps as tyres warm up early in the stint which could lead to massive lap time improvements.

Shrieker

turbof1 wrote:
30 May 2022, 07:37

That comment is out of line. The stewards did take a good look at the regulations and gave the drivers within the scope of said regulations the benefit of the doubt. This has nothing to do with bias towards one or other team.

To be frank, insinuations of bias are nowadays being thrown around like if it was candy. It is not helpful in the least.
I mean, you guys want quality discussion, and I can't blame you for that. I also want quality stewarding to accompany quality racing on the track, and we should be calling the stewards and rule makers on their s#@%.

Max will always be in the crosshairs after he got away with his antics in brazil and jeddah last year with not so much as a slap on the wrist. And then the gift at abu dhabi happened of course. It's only natural ppl suspect foul play at the slightest hint of favoritism at this point.
Last edited by Shrieker on 30 May 2022, 16:08, edited 2 times in total.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

Watto
Watto

Big Tea wrote:
30 May 2022, 15:20
Watto wrote:
30 May 2022, 15:18
Shrieker wrote:

Maybe another fudge definition like 'obviously on the line' which has some leeway but can be ignored if only exceeded by fractions.
I get too that just opens a can of worms in interpretation that can be used or ignored when you want. But sometimes unless thereis the perfect angle its hard to tell. Image the storm if there was a penalty given later shown wrongly THink RB were lucky overall with that