2022 Monaco Grand Prix - Monte Carlo, May 27 - 29

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
DChemTech
DChemTech

Re: 2022 Monaco Grand Prix - Monte Carlo, May 27 - 29

RZS10 wrote:
31 May 2022, 13:07
DChemTech wrote:
31 May 2022, 12:12
[...]
Isn't the real rule that you should allow the car to pass on the first feasible moment and at least within 3 stewarding posts?
[...]
Do you know where the second part is from?

Mazepin last year was penalized for breaking Appendix H, Article 2.5.5.1.d) of the ISC when he turned in with Perez approaching and ignored 5 blue flags.
d) Light blue flag
This should normally be waved, as an indication to a driver that he is about to be overtaken. [...]
During the race:
The flag should normally be shown to a car about to be lapped, if the driver does not seem to be making full use of his rear-view mirrors. When shown, the driver concerned must allow the following car to pass at the earliest opportunity.
This is now 2.5.5.1 e) but the wording is the same.

Appendix L Chapter IV says drivers must abide by Appendix H and further in 2.a)
a) A car alone on the track may use the full width of the said track, however, as soon as it is caught by a car which is about to lap it the driver must allow the faster driver past at the first possible opportunity.
If the driver who has been caught does not seem to make full use of the rear-view mirrors, flag marshals will display the waved blue flag to indicate that the faster driver wants to overtake.
Any driver who appears to ignore the blue flags will be reported to the Stewards.
I can't find any rule which quantifies the number of posts or flags drivers can pass without repercussions.

With regards to the above ... yea - now the notes are only worth anything when they cover things that are not specified in any rules, otherwise they're scrap.
I got it from an overview on motorsport.com, so no primary source - could be some clarification after the Mazepin incident or so. But if there's nothing in the regulations of that nature, let's not put too much weight on it. The question then is whether or not Latifi let Sainz pass at the 'first possible (safe) opportunity', which is a bit of a qualitative question. As such, I would be in favor of having some quantifiable norm - drawback is that it would probably change from track to track (and corner to corner), so it's not easy as to how to approach that. Perhaps something like 'at the first possible opportunity and always within 30 seconds after first showing of the blue flag' (under the assumption that at any track a suitable opportunity will arise within ca. 0.3 lap). Anyway, I think it would be impossible to have it such that no time is lost chasing backmarkers, and on tracks like Monaco that may hurt. Part of the game...

RZS10

It might be internal guidelines indeed - it seems like it used to be part of the drivers' briefing previously, no clue whether the new RDs do that or not.

basti313
basti313

RZS10 wrote:
31 May 2022, 16:18
It might be internal guidelines indeed - it seems like it used to be part of the drivers' briefing previously, no clue whether the new RDs do that or not.
Well...but still the discussion is a bit weird.
We have Latifi not lifting uphill solving the issue....well this is Latifi. There is always one driver the worst in the field...this is F1, this is Monaco.

Then comes the rest until the tunnel. SAI was on cold tires, LAT slow on warm tires but it looks like they are doing the same pace. LAT later did even a 27 laptime while the others incl PER out of the pits did rather 30isch times. In any case SAI did not have his front wing in the diffusor of LAT, he had a good gap of sometimes more than 2 car lengths and did not even fully catch up at Fairmont. We saw multiple times drivers MUCH closer. So what should LAT do? Step fully on the brake for someone who is not even really close?

But this is SAI....he lost it. If this would have been someone like VER, LEC or VET, they would have been furiously screaming into the radio and would have had a front wing next to LAT before Mirabeau to force their way through. So one can simply accept that SAI is not the driver to win Monaco instead of checking the rules for no reason.
Don`t russel the hamster!

NL_Fer
NL_Fer

I am not a racing driver, but the racing line was much dryer than the other parts of the track. Also Monaco is narrow most of the parts. So I guess going offline or back of the trottle somewhere was a potentially dangerous move this weekend.

GrizzleBoy
GrizzleBoy

Man I just had a thought about how the future of this Grand Prix is hanging in the balance.

This could turn out to have been the last chance for Charles to win his home GP.

I actually would celebrate if Monaco never came back, but I'd be pretty sad for Charles too.

NL_Fer
NL_Fer

Wasn’t there plan to build an artificial island to make room for new houses and commercial areas, with the possibility to extend to old track with a wide straight and hairpin?

RZS10

There have been articles like "Monaco Could End Up Changing The Track Layout In Future" or "F1 will consider Monaco Grand Prix layout changes to improve racing" almost every year.
I think what you mean is the Mareterra/Le Portier land reclamation project, a few years ago there were rumours or maybe even plans to extend the track onto that but it got scrapped...

Zynerji

NL_Fer wrote:
31 May 2022, 23:28
Wasn’t there plan to build an artificial island to make room for new houses and commercial areas, with the possibility to extend to old track with a wide straight and hairpin?
In 2005, in bobs track builder, my friend and I edited Monaco to have a pier. So, the right hander before the tunnel turned into a 1/2 kilometer pier that went straight with a hairpin at the end, then coming back, it was a left into the tunnel.

That rFactor track may still be out there kicking around as his league used it for a few years...

PlatinumZealot

GrizzleBoy wrote:
31 May 2022, 20:19
Man I just had a thought about how the future of this Grand Prix is hanging in the balance.

This could turn out to have been the last chance for Charles to win his home GP.

I actually would celebrate if Monaco never came back, but I'd be pretty sad for Charles too.
I'm sure the Monaco business world will fork over the money to keep this GP on the map until Charles can win it.

I for one like this GP so I hope it stays. From a technical standpoint maybe Monaco car regulations should be imposed. For example: A rule saying teams must run the car 1800mm wide at Monaco.

Tyres and front wings are 50mm narrower on each side.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

lh13
lh13

PlatinumZealot wrote:
GrizzleBoy wrote:

I'm sure the Monaco business world will fork over the money to keep this GP on the map until Charles can win it.

I for one like this GP so I hope it stays. From a technical standpoint maybe Monaco car regulations should be imposed. For example: A rule saying teams must run the car 1800mm wide at Monaco.

Not with the cost cap, no. And its not like the 'trimmed' cars will 'just work', not a chance.

Stu

PlatinumZealot wrote:
01 Jun 2022, 05:06
GrizzleBoy wrote:

I for one like this GP so I hope it stays.
I also enjoy the whole Monaco race weekend, so many great moments and performances over the years.

What seems to get missed is that during the 50’s/60’s (& into the 70’s) it was all about the glamorous film stars turning up (same period as the Cannes film festival?), Princess Grace and all that injecting some glamour into a ‘garagistes’ environment - without it there was no real glamour in F1.
What seems to be the case now is that Monaco needs the F1 circus (which takes its aura of glamour with it everywhere nowadays) to maintain its ‘kudos’ and massage its ego.

If F1 had never raced at Monaco, how many of us would have even heard of it (except for castigating the whole ‘tax-haven-ness’ of the place. Take the colours of the race away and it looks almost as run-down as down-town Sao Paolo…..
….but the camera work tries its best to hide that.

Monaco now needs F1, F1 no longer needs Monaco. (You can thank Bernie for that!)
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

DChemTech
DChemTech

I don't mind Monaco on the calendar. As with every sports, not all events are equally fun nor do they have equal potential to be fun. And thye don't have to be guaranteed fun if there is a good reason to keep them around, such as history. Aside from that, the quali is still good at Monaco, so as long as you manage expectations, it's fine to have the Monaco GP around.
The only thing that does upset me is that, once there was potential for an exciting battle in the rain, the opportunity was killed by the FIA. Hopefully they manage to strike a better balance between safety and, well, showing that decent drivers can actually drive under wet conditions too, in the future.

Mogster

If not change the layout completely could the track not be widened at all?

PlatinumZealot

lh13 wrote:
01 Jun 2022, 06:23
PlatinumZealot wrote:
GrizzleBoy wrote:

Not with the cost cap, no. And its not like the 'trimmed' cars will 'just work', not a chance.
Cost cap has nothing to do with it though.

The teams arrive at Monaco, and Pirelli gives them a standard wheel and tyre which are 50mm narrower on each side.

Actually my calculations are wrong!

The tyres would need to be 100mm narrower on each side.

It is still possible. Depending on how far the spindle sticks out.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Scorpaguy

Monaco is a great track and racing belongs there. It is just that today's F1 cars have outgrown the circuit. In fact, I know of no F1 circuit in which anyone claims the cars "need to be larger to properly fit the tract". Indycar is in a similar situation, but not as bad as their spectacle still affords some racing.

I still think both series would do good with an excision of a metre off in length and a half-metre off in width. Looking at todays cars...the slice/dice work would be relatively simple.