[MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2022 (Grand Prix Cars)

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
LVDH

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2022 (Grand Prix Cars)

CAEdevice wrote:
27 Jul 2022, 19:37
Should I update the software if I am using the Linux version?
Yes and also take car of your vehicle positioning.

CAEdevice

LVDH wrote:
28 Jul 2022, 07:45
CAEdevice wrote:
27 Jul 2022, 19:37
Should I update the software if I am using the Linux version?
Yes and also take car of your vehicle positioning.
Would it be possibile to have a measure of the distance between the planck lower surface and the virtual ground?
Alternatively: would it be possibile to add a reference geoemtry for the ground in the template? Not all CAD software menage the origin of the coordinate system in the same way.

I think I will update the software, but today is the last day of computing for me before the first race, so I hope to not have surprises.

By the way: it's time to reveal the car, stay tuned.
Last edited by CAEdevice on 28 Jul 2022, 10:10, edited 1 time in total.

k.ko100v
k.ko100v

"2.2 These parts should be exported as separate stl files with 1 unit = 1m."
Is this rule still valid? When I export my CAD files with 1 unit = 1m, they are becoming ridiculously small compare to the mandatory parts, when loaded in MFlow. When they are exported with 1 unit = 1mm everything is fine.

The old MAND filed from 2020 are still smaller than the currents, when loaded together in MFlow.

Are you all exporting the CAD files with 1 unit = 1m?

CAEdevice

I don't have too many ambitions for the first race, but this is the 2022 car, MP009.

CAEdevice

ok, I tested the new MFlow (E) release: it looks that the car I deveopled in the last weeks sank into the ground.
This is not good news consdiering that in a few hour I will non be able to work on the CAD model for about a week...

CAEdevice

AratzH wrote:
26 Jul 2022, 17:40
... if 50mm ground clearance from plant to ground is needed.
Shouldn't be 35mm from the lower planck surface to the ground?

EngJH
EngJH

Hello everyone,
first time for me competing here and looking forward to the first race although I dont expect too much against you all. Nonetheless will be a great learning experience and already had quite some fun with the development of my car for the first race.
samuel_l25 wrote:
24 Jul 2022, 12:06
LVDH wrote:
23 Jul 2022, 14:36
samuel_l25 wrote:
18 Jul 2022, 22:49
hmmmmmm. I'm going to guess something has gone wrong with my .stl files...

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... nknown.png
The car dimension check should now work. I just uploaded a new version.

samuel_l25 wrote:
23 Jul 2022, 13:46
When I try and run the case I get this text in the command window:

"MFlow.py:882: DeprecationWarning: onst QString &QProcess.startDetached(c command) is deprecated"

Anyone else had this problem?

running on windows
I think this is just to annoy you. The software itself runs, right?
I can 'Build Case' which it does do. When I click 'Run Case' I get that line of text in the command window (although doesn't show in the MFlow.log) then nothing else happens even after waiting 40 minutes.

I have just tried running a 2020 MVRC based car that I made last year and it surprisingly works using MFlow_2207d...

Shark tutorial also works with MFlow_2207d.
Im having a similar (or same) problem as Samuel.
When I try to run the case in MFlow 2207e I get the message:
"MFlow.py:882: DeprecationWarning: QProcess.startDetached(const QString & command) is deprecated"
Maybe you have already solved the problem and can tell me what you did? So I can see whether its for me the same issue.
Thanks in advance!

spacehead3

CAEdevice wrote:
28 Jul 2022, 09:48
I don't have too many ambitions for the first race, but this is the 2022 car, MP009.
Very clean, I like it!

(I'm still over here desperately punching holes in my sidepods lol)
Max Taylor

CAEdevice

spacehead3 wrote:
28 Jul 2022, 14:44
CAEdevice wrote:
Very clean, I like it!

(I'm still over here desperately punching holes in my sidepods lol)
Thanks!

I have no cooling issues, but, on the other hand, I discovered that the car first sank into the ground and now floats in the air

yinlad

All seems good on my side now. Position is correct and wheels are the same speed. Not having, or have previously had any issues with sinking into the ground. Linux specific perhaps?

Very curious how CAE has the radiators situated to achieve the required area in seemingly slim pods
MVRC - Panthera

CAEdevice

yinlad wrote:
28 Jul 2022, 20:00
All seems good on my side now. Position is correct and wheels are the same speed. Not having, or have previously had any issues with sinking into the ground. Linux specific perhaps?

Very curious how CAE has the radiators situated to achieve the required area in seemingly slim pods
The issue is not with latest Linux version of MFlow (it works correctly), but the fact that I developed my car for weeks after adapting my template to the wrong ground placement and (for personal reasons) I don't have the time to refine it (I already submitted the car and then I submitted a new one without simulating it): basically I worked with a 5mm error about ground clearance.

... not a big problem anyway, the challenge is only at the beginning and I learnt very much about 2022 cars.

Yes the cooling is the part of my car that works better, I started the design from it.

samuel_l25

EngJH wrote:
28 Jul 2022, 13:14
Hello everyone,
first time for me competing here and looking forward to the first race although I dont expect too much against you all. Nonetheless will be a great learning experience and already had quite some fun with the development of my car for the first race.
samuel_l25 wrote:
LVDH wrote:
23 Jul 2022, 14:36

The car dimension check should now work. I just uploaded a new version.

I think this is just to annoy you. The software itself runs, right?
I can 'Build Case' which it does do. When I click 'Run Case' I get that line of text in the command window (although doesn't show in the MFlow.log) then nothing else happens even after waiting 40 minutes.

I have just tried running a 2020 MVRC based car that I made last year and it surprisingly works using MFlow_2207d...

"MFlow.py:882: DeprecationWarning: QProcess.startDetached(const QString & command) is deprecated"
Maybe you have already solved the problem and can tell me what you did? So I can see whether its for me the same issue.
Thanks in advance!
Not yet, could possibly be either my computers specs or the geometry not being fully closed.

variante

CAEdevice wrote:

https://www.caedevice.net/SERVER/MVRC/2 ... pboard.jpg
Nice and clean.
The car reveal days are my favorite days!
Mine is coming fairly soon.

CAEdevice

variante wrote:
28 Jul 2022, 22:19
CAEdevice wrote:

https://www.caedevice.net/SERVER/MVRC/2 ... pboard.jpg
Nice and clean.
The car reveal days are my favorite days!
Mine is coming fairly soon.
Yes, I can't wait to see the cars.

What about an online meeting some day in august?

LVDH

k.ko100v wrote:
28 Jul 2022, 09:39
"2.2 These parts should be exported as separate stl files with 1 unit = 1m."
Is this rule still valid? When I export my CAD files with 1 unit = 1m, they are becoming ridiculously small compare to the mandatory parts, when loaded in MFlow. When they are exported with 1 unit = 1mm everything is fine.

The old MAND filed from 2020 are still smaller than the currents, when loaded together in MFlow.

Are you all exporting the CAD files with 1 unit = 1m?
Yes, the rule is valid. It is not one that will easily get you a penalty though.
For this season, I first exported the supplied stl files in this wrong dimension. I assumed everyone tuned their stl import settings and did not want to change it anymore.

samuel_l25 wrote:
28 Jul 2022, 22:13
EngJH wrote:
28 Jul 2022, 13:14
Hello everyone,
samuel_l25 wrote:

Thanks in advance!
Not yet, could possibly be either my computers specs or the geometry not being fully closed.
This is just a warning and can be ignored. I will try to deactivate it in the next release.
Why you guys cannot run, is currently beyond me. Please keep these things in mind. MFlow creates a case for the open source CFD solver OpenFOAM. With Mflow you can create the case, it then needs to get run. You can do this manually or with MFlow. The CFD case itself is quite complicated. It creates a mesh, using the stl files. This can take very long, maybe an hour or two. And during some periods, you will not see much happening, depending on your system. You could monitor memory usage, as this step likely will use the most on your computer. If you are out of memory, not much will be happening...
The next major step is solving the CFD case as such. This takes the most time. You simply have to wait. Depending on your computer maybe even a full day. In MFlow there is a setting to specify how many CPU cores can be used.
After that there are a few additional step to help with post-processing. When that is done, you can use MFlow to create a nice report.
Doing it the first time is not super easy and you might have certain expectations on how long everything takes. Even on a good computer, you will be waiting a few hours.
The support forum is still broken, as I did not want to run the major upgrade the page needs to fix it, right before a race, so you will have to wait another few days for that. If you have problems, please make you case, including log files available to me.