2022 Canadian Grand Prix - Montreal, June 17 - 19

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
saviour stivala
saviour stivala

Re: 2022 Canadian Grand Prix - Montreal, June 17 - 19

Porpoising (the jumping) starts when suspension travel stops/ends - when they hit the ground. Once that happens, the car loose all under-the floor down force pull which results in the suspension suddenly pushing the car up. The harder the suspension the faster the jump up. At high speed it, the process gets so frequent (fast) it is called oscillations. The less the floor generates downforce the lower the ride height need to be. Those that needs run their car lower to generate downforce will be the hardest hit by the new directive.
Last edited by saviour stivala on 17 Jun 2022, 07:27, edited 1 time in total.

kalinka
kalinka

carisi2k wrote:
17 Jun 2022, 06:34
Many of you may not be old enough to remember but the cars of 1994 were bad for bottoming out until after Senna's death when they introduced the plank and raised the ride height.
Yep, and that was the first year after long time without active suspensions.

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

saviour stivala wrote:
17 Jun 2022, 07:20
Porpoising (the jumping) starts when suspension travel stops/ends - when they hit the ground. Once that happens, the car loose all under-the floor down force pull which results in the suspension suddenly pushing the car up. The harder the suspension the faster the jump up. At high speed it, the process gets so frequent (fast) it is called oscillations. The less the floor generates downforce the lower the ride height need to be. Those that needs run their car lower to generate downforce will be the hardest hit by the new directive.
Watch the KyleEngineer video on YouTube. It’s not the only way you can get porpoising.

carisi2k

Hammerfist wrote:
17 Jun 2022, 01:46
Zynerji wrote:
17 Jun 2022, 01:17
No respect for a directive meant to catch up sub-optimal design decisions of the currently failing teams.

Why make a huge change to cause a shakeup, and then TD the old guard back to the front? 🤔
Uh? This td is meant to push merc down. Will it have the desired effect is still unknown but i struggle to see how this cannot be viewed as the fia saying fu to mercs complaints.
Will be very interesting to see who actually benefits or not.
No this is Mercedes drivers complaining because there car is the one that runs the lowest to the ground and suffers the most from porpoising and bottoming. If the FIA bought in a rule that said the car had to be a certain distance to the road then I think you would find that Red Bull, Alpine and Mclaren would probably already fit within those parameters or be very close to them. So why should they have to run there car an extra say 50mm higher as well if there car is already in the envelope for floor clearance.

It will be very interesting to see how the Merc and the Ferrari perform going forward. I suspect that both of them will very soon have floors and maybe suspension that look alot like the RB18

Tommy Cookers
Tommy Cookers

langedweil wrote:
17 Jun 2022, 03:49
...it's about protecting drivers from huge & sustained gforce impacts caused by porpoising ....
the 'gforce impacts' are neither huge nor sustained

Schippke
Schippke

Since the technical directive has launched, I think you’ll see Red Bull in a much stronger position than they would’ve been coming into the weekend.

If Ferrari are forced to raise the ride height (and Mercedes too), combined with their reliability concerns (even if they take the new unit for Charles) then they might even find themselves being drawn into the midfield. It may not show itself to that extent here in Canada, but in some upcoming races, Red Bull could very much be out in its own…

Memories of Mercedes 2014-2016, 2020?

bidong
bidong

Lemme just drop this... FRIC, DAS, Floor Cutouts, J-Damper and still FIA is biased to Mercedes?

Some peoples memories are too short.

Mansell89
Mansell89

Pretty pivotal weekend in these new regulations isn’t it-not necessarily for who wins this weekends race but more so what the results of the FIA monitoring of bounce/porpoising leads to going forward.

Teams raising ride heights will presumably cost a fair chunk of performance but just how much would you expect in terms of lap time? Are we likely talking tenths on average or are we talking seconds?

If it’s the latter, it could cause chaos and leave RBR out front on their own and then you’d probably have McLaren and Aston Martin fighting for a distant 3rd and 4th?

Ferrari seem to get it to glue down like it’s on rails through a corner so I wonder why they can’t achieve the same on the straights?

henry

Do they intend to apply this new rule this weekend, in Canada? As I understand it they haven’t decided on a methodology or values yet?
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus

organic

henry wrote:
17 Jun 2022, 10:53
Do they intend to apply this new rule this weekend, in Canada? As I understand it they haven’t decided on a methodology or values yet?
I was under the impression that it will apply this weekend yes

Ryar

organic wrote:
17 Jun 2022, 10:57
henry wrote:
17 Jun 2022, 10:53
I was under the impression that it will apply this weekend yes
It is being enforced from Canadian GP. While the known mechanism are being discussed across websites, what remains to be published is the parameter values.

https://racingnews365.com/fia-take-hard ... squalified
How will the FIA monitor bouncing in Canada?
The FIA ​​will monitor the bouncing of cars using an Aerodynamic Oscillation Metric (AOM), calculated using the accelerometers already fitted to F1 cars. These accelerometers can measure, among other things, vertical oscillations (bouncing).

The FIA ​​will then view the data and determine whether a car is bouncing too severely or too often and, therefore, whether it is safe to go racing.

Based on the data collected by the accelerometers, the FIA ​​will draw up an AOM matrix to determine a prescribed parameter. Teams must calculate the AOM for their car based on three laps in FP3, without using DRS.

Once the car's AOM has been determined, set-up decisions such as ride height, vertical stiffness and aerodynamic configurations will be locked in place for the remainder of the weekend.

There are some exceptions, however, including the raising of a car's ride height, altering tyre pressures, and adjusting front wing flaps. Should a team wish to change their set-up, this can only be done by submitting a new AOM calculation.

If the team cannot meet the requirements of the FIA, the ride height must be increased by (minimum) 10 millimetres.
Hakuna Matata!

henry

I love “the FIA ​​will draw up an AOM matrix to determine a prescribed parameter” . Cue for commentator and fan meltdown. Boo boo, my team, driver, has been cruelly hampered by my misunderstanding of what an AOM is, and look, your team, driver, has cheated in making changes to the AOM between FP3 and qualy. This is going to be fun.
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus

Gillian
Gillian

henry wrote:
17 Jun 2022, 11:12
I love “the FIA ​​will draw up an AOM matrix to determine a prescribed parameter” . Cue for commentator and fan meltdown. Boo boo, my team, driver, has been cruelly hampered by my misunderstanding of what an AOM is, and look, your team, driver, has cheated in making changes to the AOM between FP3 and qualy. This is going to be fun.
That's already happening. The race has not even started and you already have both parties:
- They (FIA) do everything to hamper Mercedes!
- They (FIA) do everything to help Mercedes!

Some people just look for a conspiracy everywhere. #-o

MattWellsyWells
MattWellsyWells

I wouldn't be surprised if this has little effect on any teams tbh. Partly because it will be difficult to police and the limits might not be that strict but mainly because Baku and Monaco were pretty anomalous for rough and bumpy surfaces. Thinking back to Barcelona, porpoising/bottoming/bouncing wasn't that big a deal and the next few tracks will be more similar to Barcelona than to Baku in terms of bumps.

wogx

It was* raining a bit

Last edited by wogx on 17 Jun 2022, 12:00, edited 1 time in total.
Kukułka zwyczajna, kukułka pospolita – nazwy ludowe: gżegżółka, zazula (Cuculus canorus) – gatunek średniego ptaka wędrownego z podrodziny kukułek (Cuculinae) w rodzinie kukułkowatych (Cuculidae). Jedyny w Europie Środkowej pasożyt lęgowy. Zamieszkuje strefę umiarkowaną.