2022 Austrian Grand Prix - Spielberg, July 08 - 10

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
ispano6

Re: 2022 Austrian Grand Prix - Spielberg, July 08 - 10

Is Ferrari turning up the engine for the Qualifying and Sprint? Can they use a different engine in the actual race and not the one they used in Qualifying/Sprint?

organic

The pole with the yellow sectors reminds me of COTA '21. Was a good quali session.

Shame about Lewis and Russell because we could've had a 3-way fight

Hammerfist
Hammerfist

Chuckjr wrote:
08 Jul 2022, 18:28
W13 is fundamentally flawed. It’s amazing to me experienced watchers of this sport don’t see it. I guess they will have to learn the hard way like Ferrari fans did back when the engine changes happened. Will be fun to watch this unfold with frustrated fans unwilling to accept the reality that turd pods are an engineering disaster. That car is an aero boat anchor, a pos, a garbage can on wheels.
LOL. I think I will bookmark this post and repost it in a few races time.

Juzh

Verstappen pulled this one out of the bag, wasn't expecting it at all given Leclerc's usual heroics in last lap quali shootouts. Perez is nowhere even with his preferred understeer being dialled in. Tomorrow and sunday it'll be very close.

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

Juzh wrote:
08 Jul 2022, 18:31
Verstappen pulled this one out of the bag, wasn't expecting it at all given Leclerc's usual heroics in last lap quali shootouts. Perez is nowhere even with his preferred understeer being dialled in. Tomorrow and sunday it'll be very close.
It’s why they choose VER as a clear no1. PER can be there on his day but over a season the pace gap between them is huge. I’d wager if it wasn’t for VER, FER would have been clear favourite for the title this year.

organic

Chuckjr wrote:
W13 is fundamentally flawed. It’s amazing to me experienced watchers of this sport don’t see it. I guess they will have to learn the hard way like Ferrari fans did back when the engine changes happened. Will be fun to watch this unfold with frustrated fans unwilling to accept the reality that turd pods are an engineering disaster. That car is an aero boat anchor, a pos, a garbage can on wheels.
This aero boat anchor seems to also be very quick at times. They've only had a handful of races with it performing properly compared to ~10 for the other top teams and they're already competitive at least in the races. We'll see what they can really do at Paul Ricard I'm sure

Sevach
Sevach

Juzh wrote:
Leclerc was already out on track when Russell brought the red, maybe the fact that he warmed tires twice, took some out of them...
And on his first attempt, Hamilton was inconveniently placed.

organic

Juzh wrote:
When the car is balanced Perez cannot deliver peak car pace. He is excellent when he is given an understeering car but this is not where the laptime can be gained if you have Max in the other seat.. I think the usual 4-5 tenth qualifying gap will return but he can fight forwards in the race with a heavier understeering car

morefirejules08
morefirejules08

chrisc90 wrote:
08 Jul 2022, 18:17
cplchanb wrote:
08 Jul 2022, 18:16
chrisc90 wrote:
08 Jul 2022, 18:09
Let’s not forget the British fans cheered when max spun last week.

I don’t agree with the cheering/booing but can’t just expect one nation of fans to sit quiet the week after the other set Fans were doing the same.

And that’s a HUGE bill for Mercedes’ tonight
spin =/= crash... it was fine for the spin... big crash for a driver that mandates a medical center visit... not so much.
Not forgetting the few cheers from last year when max was in the wall.
Just imagine that I dunno, both sets of fans cheering crashes is a bad thing. Playing a game of what aboutism to justify your fans cheering is disingenuous.

Juzh

Sevach wrote:
08 Jul 2022, 18:34
Juzh wrote:
Leclerc was already out on track when Russell brought the red, maybe the fact that he warmed tires twice, took some out of them...
And on his first attempt, Hamilton was inconveniently placed.
Could be, but verstappen also didn't have best of laps because of all the waiting, probably no one did.

organic wrote:
Juzh wrote:
When the car is balanced Perez cannot deliver peak car pace. He is excellent when he is given an understeering car but this is not where the laptime can be gained if you have Max in the other seat.. I think the usual 4-5 tenth qualifying gap will return but he can fight forwards in the race with a heavier understeering car
yeah agree
Last edited by Juzh on 08 Jul 2022, 18:41, edited 1 time in total.

cplchanb
cplchanb

Chuckjr wrote:
ok so what part of this weekend and last weekend made you lead to such conclusions??

dont forget RB and ferrari are only where they are not due to most likely a cheat flexing floor....

maxxer
maxxer

organic wrote:
Juzh wrote:
I see discussions about drivers all over this forum but this used to be a very high raked car and now its low rake and Verstappen adjusted to that pretty easy. Not a fan of any driver myself but seems impressive to me

wesley123
wesley123

Chuckjr wrote:
Seems weird that a flawed aero platform has thus far worked best at aero tracks.

Also the “It’s amazing to me experienced watchers of this sport don’t see it.” should tell you enough about your argument, really.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

cplchanb
cplchanb

djones wrote:
08 Jul 2022, 18:16
cplchanb wrote:
08 Jul 2022, 18:14
djones wrote:
08 Jul 2022, 18:12
Was he running multiple lap old tyres like Hamilton?

If so what a stupid idea from the team.
ok you just need to can it... that was his first flying lap on the new tyres. ham did not purposefully run those laps. you can clearly see from the purple S1s that they were aborts...
The fact he had enough fuel to do all of those laps means it was planned.
dont forget this is a very short race track and the fuel load penalty is probably negligible. they could afford 1 or 2 more laps in case of an abort. not to mention ham backed out very early so they conserved fuel.
Last edited by cplchanb on 08 Jul 2022, 18:44, edited 1 time in total.

organic