2022 Austrian Grand Prix - Spielberg, July 08 - 10

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Gillian
Gillian

Re: 2022 Austrian Grand Prix - Spielberg, July 08 - 10

Big Tea wrote:
05 Jul 2022, 17:56
Wouter wrote:
05 Jul 2022, 15:39
The last 2 race weekends were super exciting on Saturday with a very exciting FP3 and an even more exciting qualifying.
Next Saturday, the FP in the morning will be completely redundant and boring and in the afternoon there will be a sprint race
for half an hour, which determines the starting position of the grid.
That order is therefore not determined by who the fastest drivers are.

Normal qualifying will now be held on Friday afternoon, but that is not important, because the fastest driver is not allowed
to start first on Sunday. This setup is worthless.
Moreover, everyone only has an hour to find the right setups. If not, the whole weekend has been messed up.
The entire sprint race weekend can be abolished for me.
100% agree. By all means have sprint races, but not immediately before a 'real' race, and don't include the points at year end. If they feel there is not enough entertainment, allow guest drivers or reserve drivers to have a Saturday race.
Just ditch it, I still really don't like it at all. It's like a second chance for everyone in fast cars that messed up during qualifying.

erudite450
erudite450

dialtone wrote:
05 Jul 2022, 18:49
Spoutnik wrote:
05 Jul 2022, 17:15
Not sure I follow this, Spielberg is almost a smaller version of Bahrain, traction is important out of 1, 3, 4 and 10, and so far Ferrari had the better traction. Fast corner speed like 5, 6, 7, 8 have been a strong point for Ferrari too, check Maggotts, Becketts in Silverstone, S2 in Barcelona. As per short radii... well Monaco?

There are a lot of straights but I don't follow the "Ferrari damage limitation" thing. They said the same thing in Baku and they started on pole, they said the same thing in Canada and Sainz was the faster car in race.

I'm not saying Ferrari is going to be better in Austria, but I don't see how the reasoning from AMuS applies here.
I don't necessarily agree with AMUS because a fast car is generally competitive on every track and I expect same for Ferrari in Spielberg.

That said, Canada and Bahrain are quite different from Spielberg. The former are dominated by slow corners so they're traction tracks like you alluded to, but Redbull Ring is mainly dominated by medium-speed corners so the requirements are slightly different.

Mogster

Will we see a Red Bull - Porsche announcement at the home of Red Bull?

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

erudite450 wrote:
05 Jul 2022, 19:03
dialtone wrote:
05 Jul 2022, 18:49
Spoutnik wrote:
05 Jul 2022, 17:15
Not sure I follow this, Spielberg is almost a smaller version of Bahrain, traction is important out of 1, 3, 4 and 10, and so far Ferrari had the better traction. Fast corner speed like 5, 6, 7, 8 have been a strong point for Ferrari too, check Maggotts, Becketts in Silverstone, S2 in Barcelona. As per short radii... well Monaco?

There are a lot of straights but I don't follow the "Ferrari damage limitation" thing. They said the same thing in Baku and they started on pole, they said the same thing in Canada and Sainz was the faster car in race.

I'm not saying Ferrari is going to be better in Austria, but I don't see how the reasoning from AMuS applies here.
I don't necessarily agree with AMUS because a fast car is generally competitive on every track and I expect same for Ferrari in Spielberg.

That said, Canada and Bahrain are quite different from Spielberg. The former are dominated by slow corners so they're traction tracks like you alluded to, but Redbull Ring is mainly dominated by medium-speed corners so the requirements are slightly different.
I think it will be pretty even.
RB will gain time in the straight and their traction was better than Ferrari on some tracks.
Ferrari will gain on the heaviest braking zones and in the corners through S2.

Driver wise, Verstappen is mental on this track so I expect nothing less than a dominant week end from him.

If the Merc isn't boucing they'll be like in Silverstone on race pace but their history on this track is not good. It's also one of these few tracks where Hamilton is "average" (by his standards) imo.

zibby43
zibby43

DChemTech wrote:
05 Jul 2022, 13:07
214270 wrote:
05 Jul 2022, 13:02
DChemTech wrote:
05 Jul 2022, 12:58

There is so much spirit in the regulations, F1 teams should hire psychics to interpret them (at least, that seems a more realistic ask than the FIA just writing good regulations that don't require any 'spirit' hocus bogus).
It’s the exact thing that makes F1, F1. You can’t really be mad at it
It doesn't make it for me. I mean, I think it's great that teams come up with creative solutions in the regions where the rules fall short. What I hate is that then a new TD is issued to ban whatever a team came up with, because it 'goes against the spirit of the rules'.

I like the quantitative gaps, not the qualitative bogus - that's the worst, and yes, it is maddening when it influences competition.
Where did you land on DAS, engine quali modes, etc.?

dialtone
dialtone

zibby43 wrote:
06 Jul 2022, 06:15
DChemTech wrote:
214270 wrote:

It doesn't make it for me. I mean, I think it's great that teams come up with creative solutions in the regions where the rules fall short. What I hate is that then a new TD is issued to ban whatever a team came up with, because it 'goes against the spirit of the rules'.

I like the quantitative gaps, not the qualitative bogus - that's the worst, and yes, it is maddening when it influences competition.
We should add more :): double diffuser, FRIC, mass damper, chimney exhaust, blown diffuser, flexy wings, F-duct, oil burning, vectoring pedal, skirts, spaceship mirrors, zero sidepods, semi-auto gearshift. Could go on for lines and lines with the stuff F1 engineers came up with that wasn't in the rules and either got banned or didn't.

F1NAC

Mogster wrote:
05 Jul 2022, 19:08
Rumours suggest so

Chuckjr

Big Tea wrote:
05 Jul 2022, 17:56
Wouter wrote:
05 Jul 2022, 15:39
The last 2 race weekends were super exciting on Saturday with a very exciting FP3 and an even more exciting qualifying.
Next Saturday, the FP in the morning will be completely redundant and boring and in the afternoon there will be a sprint race
for half an hour, which determines the starting position of the grid.
That order is therefore not determined by who the fastest drivers are.

Normal qualifying will now be held on Friday afternoon, but that is not important, because the fastest driver is not allowed
to start first on Sunday. This setup is worthless.
Moreover, everyone only has an hour to find the right setups. If not, the whole weekend has been messed up.
The entire sprint race weekend can be abolished for me.
100% agree. By all means have sprint races, but not immediately before a 'real' race, and don't include the points at year end. If they feel there is not enough entertainment, allow guest drivers or reserve drivers to have a Saturday race.
=D> =D>
That’s a great idea. Have a Saturday sprint race each race weekend with only the reserve drivers. Have their own championship using the original points system — toss out 1-2 worst races. It would give so many more drivers an opportunity to show their talent without having to be a first or second driver. Heck put Button back in a car. I’d love to see more drivers in F1 cars in lower pressure situations. That would only be a good thing, and I bet would draw a lot more additional audience and bring novelty to the sport.
Watching F1 since 1986.

DChemTech
DChemTech

zibby43 wrote:
DChemTech wrote:
214270 wrote:

Das was done right: ban between seasons, not in season. Engine modes were screwed up.

Sieper

But the engine modes were only (after what, 7 years?) abolished when Honda also got in the game. It was actually Honda who pleaded for a few extra races as it hurt them so much.

F1 is also a game of politics and Mercedes has been winning that, and still seem to have the ear, for a very long time.

silver
silver

DChemTech wrote:
06 Jul 2022, 07:38
zibby43 wrote:
DChemTech wrote:

Das was done right: ban between seasons, not in season. Engine modes were screwed up.
It was strange to not have banned DAS right away as it was an infringement to parc ferme rules. Had that not been banned, by mid year, at least a couple of teams would have developed it. So in some ways, it was unfair for other teams that they couldn't but Mercedes could retain it for a whole year.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

silver wrote:
06 Jul 2022, 14:14
DChemTech wrote:
zibby43 wrote:

It was strange to not have banned DAS right away as it was an infringement to parc ferme rules. Had that not been banned, by mid year, at least a couple of teams would have developed it. So in some ways, it was unfair for other teams that they couldn't but Mercedes could retain it for a whole year.
It wasn't a breach of parc ferme rules. This was all discussed at the time. DAS was fully legal and that's why the FIA had to rewrite the rules to specifically ban it or anything similar to it.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

silver
silver

Just_a_fan wrote:
06 Jul 2022, 14:35
silver wrote:
DChemTech wrote:

It wasn't a breach of parc ferme rules. This was all discussed at the time. DAS was fully legal and that's why the FIA had to rewrite the rules to specifically ban it or anything similar to it.
Change of toe angle is a breach of parc ferme. FIA allowed it like they did with so many other controversial features that got outlawed for the very next season. If it was legal, there was no reason to outlaw it.

icantride
icantride

silver wrote:
06 Jul 2022, 15:13
Just_a_fan wrote:
06 Jul 2022, 14:35
silver wrote:
Change of toe angle is a breach of parc ferme. FIA allowed it like they did with so many other controversial features that got outlawed for the very next season. If it was legal, there was no reason to outlaw it.
It was only banned by virtue of the original pre-pandemic 2021 regs becoming more detailed in terms of wheel angle being monotonically related to steering wheel angle. Most likely due to Mercedes seeking clarification from the FIA, the FIA realising it wasn't prohibited under the current ruling, and therefore implementing it into the overhauled rules. When the 2021 regs got pushed back to 2022, they used the regs on steering from 2022, in the 2021 regs to prevent an arms race for a single year of development

If the pandemic didn't happen, DAS would still have been outlawed for these current gen of cars

But this is all off topic

maxxer
maxxer

Mogster wrote:
05 Jul 2022, 19:08
Are the new engine rules yet finished ?