2022 Hungarian Grand Prix - Hungaroring, July 29 - 31

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Stu

Re: 2022 Hungarian Grand Prix - Hungaroring, July 29 - 31

LM10 wrote:
30 Jul 2022, 17:42
Big Tea wrote:
30 Jul 2022, 17:38
LM10 wrote:
30 Jul 2022, 17:36

I’m glad Max isn’t on pole as it would have been an overachievement yet again (in terms of pure car pace), like too many times already this season due to Ferrari mishaps. Ferrari struggled with tyres and underperformed today.
I would still not rule him out for the win though. His problem will be the Alpine's, which usually make it difficult to pass.
The only way Max wins this is a big pile up at the start with top 3 disqualifying at the very least.
A bit like last year….
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

Don't ask me why... but I feel Hamilton will win this one

falonso81

Do we have any information on what exactly Max's problem was? Is it out of the question that he has a PU issue? Maybe not starting even in P10?

AnthonyG

falonso81 wrote:
30 Jul 2022, 17:53
Do we have any information on what exactly Max's problem was? Is it out of the question that he has a PU issue? Maybe not starting even in P10?
Sometimes he's just slow. It happens.
Thank you really doesn't really describe enough what I feel. - Vettel

LM10
LM10

falonso81 wrote:
30 Jul 2022, 17:53
Marko told that it was an hardware issue from what they’ve seen initially. But if they need to replace that part, it will not have a grid penalty as a consequence.

Big Tea

LM10 wrote:
Big Tea wrote:
LM10 wrote:
30 Jul 2022, 17:36

I’m glad Max isn’t on pole as it would have been an overachievement yet again (in terms of pure car pace), like too many times already this season due to Ferrari mishaps. Ferrari struggled with tyres and underperformed today.
I would still not rule him out for the win though. His problem will be the Alpine's, which usually make it difficult to pass.
The only way Max wins this is a big pile up at the start with top 3 disqualifying at the very least.
Or a safety car when he is due a tyre stop, and out in a good slot
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

dialtone
dialtone

RUS v SAI

Well this was unexpected, great lap from Russell, in particular his S2 was very strong, especially compared to friday practice.
* Sainz did not nail the last corners of the warm up lap, while Russell spent almost the totality of the main straight to T1 in 8th, Sainz switched to 8th only 30% through the straight. Top speed here is in favor of RUS by 1kph, but the speed trace, top speed aside, is a bit more in favor of RUS than 1kph.
* Both are way slower than the top speed on Friday which was 6kph faster.
* The big difference in T4, where on Friday Ham damaged his floor, is reduced to just 5kph. Critically rather than being slower on the Ferrari, it's the Merc that became faster, Ferrari has about the same speed as in FP2 through there.
* I think the lower track temperatures, without a practice session before to nail setup better, made it so that Ferrari was having difficulty bringing tires up to temperature.
* Up to here though, Ferrari was marginally ahead, in T11 is where SAI just couldn't nail the exit and lost a bunch of speed and with it the pole position.
* Ultimately I think the lower DF setup allowed Merc's tires to get in temperature and stay in temperature which allowed them to take T4 and T11 much faster than during Free Practice.
* Great job by RUS.
* Peculiarity in S3 is that Russell really likes early apex, he was doing that in Austria when he lost control, here it really helped him with traction.

RUS v LEC

* Leclerc had a better main straight performance than SAI, switching to 8th 50m ahead of his team mate, and his top speed trace benefited.
* Sadly Leclerc wasn't as strong in T1, he had a bit of an oversteer in his first attempt there, so he kept it chill in the second attempt, but that caused his to lose a lot of time.
* LEC T2 was decent but the exit wasn't as good, traction wise RUS had a better exit out of it. So between T1 and T2 LEC lost 0.153 just there.
* The rest of the lap from LEC is however better than Sainz's by an amount that would have allowed SAI to be on pole
* Once again in T11 Ferrari just couldn't nail that corner today, probably lack of front tire temperature again, LEC's T11 is even worse than SAI.

RUS v NOR

* Similar to the others, RUS really managed the better main straight. Given the early apexes I have to assume that it's thanks to that.
* Lando loses the totality of his S1 time in T1, as the rest is identical.
* Also loses the totality of his S2 time in T11 where he must have made an error.
* Without those 2 minor problems Lando could have even been further up I dare say.

Everybody else pretty far, Ham had a DRS issue on the main straight and aborted the lap right away.

Surprising result of course, but Mercs is a great team and they are bound to get stuff right. I think tire temps also played a real role in allowing the Mercs to be aggressive in T4 and T11 that had been a weakness in friday practice.

For tomorrow's race I don't know really... Frankly the ambient temperature is critical, if it rains it's even more complicated. Given the big difference in performance in T4 and T11, that's definitely going to change how the front tires degrade. I would question people thinking that Ferrari will be 1s ahead per lap like in practice, conditions are different. Ferrari should be faster because it should manage tires better, but they'll be slower to heat them up, kind of the opposite of silverstone, and it's hard to pass here. I have no clue how the race will go.

politburo
politburo

Stu wrote:
30 Jul 2022, 17:45
LM10 wrote:
Big Tea wrote:

A bit like last year….
Expect the fact the weather conditions will entirely different in tomorrow’s race.
"Nosotros diferimos, pero nosotros todos son iguales"

politburo
politburo

dialtone wrote:
30 Jul 2022, 18:01
https://i.imgur.com/FAUtG1J.jpeg
RUS v SAI

Well this was unexpected, great lap from Russell, in particular his S2 was very strong, especially compared to friday practice.
* Sainz did not nail the last corners of the warm up lap, while Russell spent almost the totality of the main straight to T1 in 8th, Sainz switched to 8th only 30% through the straight. Top speed here is in favor of RUS by 1kph, but the speed trace, top speed aside, is a bit more in favor of RUS than 1kph.
* Both are way slower than the top speed on Friday which was 6kph faster.
* The big difference in T4, where on Friday Ham damaged his floor, is reduced to just 5kph. Critically rather than being slower on the Ferrari, it's the Merc that became faster, Ferrari has about the same speed as in FP2 through there.
* I think the lower track temperatures, without a practice session before to nail setup better, made it so that Ferrari was having difficulty bringing tires up to temperature.
* Up to here though, Ferrari was marginally ahead, in T11 is where SAI just couldn't nail the exit and lost a bunch of speed and with it the pole position.
* Ultimately I think the lower DF setup allowed Merc's tires to get in temperature and stay in temperature which allowed them to take T4 and T11 much faster than during Free Practice.
* Great job by RUS.
* Peculiarity in S3 is that Russell really likes early apex, he was doing that in Austria when he lost control, here it really helped him with traction.

RUS v LEC
https://i.imgur.com/d1DNjzB.jpeg

* Leclerc had a better main straight performance than SAI, switching to 8th 50m ahead of his team mate, and his top speed trace benefited.
* Sadly Leclerc wasn't as strong in T1, he had a bit of an oversteer in his first attempt there, so he kept it chill in the second attempt, but that caused his to lose a lot of time.
* LEC T2 was decent but the exit wasn't as good, traction wise RUS had a better exit out of it. So between T1 and T2 LEC lost 0.153 just there.
* The rest of the lap from LEC is however better than Sainz's by an amount that would have allowed SAI to be on pole
* Once again in T11 Ferrari just couldn't nail that corner today, probably lack of front tire temperature again, LEC's T11 is even worse than SAI.

RUS v NOR
https://i.imgur.com/qQ1bH8G.jpeg

* Similar to the others, RUS really managed the better main straight. Given the early apexes I have to assume that it's thanks to that.
* Lando loses the totality of his S1 time in T1, as the rest is identical.
* Also loses the totality of his S2 time in T11 where he must have made an error.
* Without those 2 minor problems Lando could have even been further up I dare say.

Everybody else pretty far, Ham had a DRS issue on the main straight and aborted the lap right away.

Surprising result of course, but Mercs is a great team and they are bound to get stuff right. I think tire temps also played a real role in allowing the Mercs to be aggressive in T4 and T11 that had been a weakness in friday practice.

For tomorrow's race I don't know really... Frankly the ambient temperature is critical, if it rains it's even more complicated. Given the big difference in performance in T4 and T11, that's definitely going to change how the front tires degrade. I would question people thinking that Ferrari will be 1s ahead per lap like in practice, conditions are different. Ferrari should be faster because it should manage tires better, but they'll be slower to heat them up, kind of the opposite of silverstone, and it's hard to pass here. I have no clue how the race will go.
Awesome stuff mate
"Nosotros diferimos, pero nosotros todos son iguales"

TNTHead

SAI for the win, VER dnf or P4/P5.

dialtone
dialtone

And to avoid the "VER would have been on pole discussions": in all likelihood, not really.

* Obviously made a mistake in T2, but in S2 and S3 he's slower than RUS, not by a lot, but he is.
* The main straight from VER is worse than RUS, LEC and SAI, he's in 6th gear on the finish line, half way through the straight goes to 8th, it was just worse speed trace into T1.
* T1 anyway is a bit of a struggle with RUS having better traction and speed trace to T2
* This wasn't a good lap for VER anyway, he wasn't going to get pole on this for sure, the second attempt never came due to engine issues.

The warmup of the tires seemed to be an issue for RBR as well. A nice reversal of what happened every race so far.

morefirejules08
morefirejules08

dialtone wrote:
30 Jul 2022, 17:31
morefirejules08 wrote:
30 Jul 2022, 17:27
dialtone wrote:
30 Jul 2022, 17:20

But they aren't opposed to the TD, they are opposed to the 2023 rules change.
They are opposed to both
No they are absolutely not, both teams said the TD will do nothing to them. In fact that's the reasoning from Ferrari and RBR as to why 2023 rule change is unnecessary, they already have the TD with the new sensors.
If you read everything RB and Horner have said about the TD, it has all been negative with the aim to delegitimise it. Everything from saying it will only help Mercedes, that it’ll allow the FIA to dictate set up, that mid season rule changes should be allowed etc etc. these are not the comments of a team that are for the TD being introduced at spa.

dialtone
dialtone

morefirejules08 wrote:
30 Jul 2022, 18:14
dialtone wrote:
30 Jul 2022, 17:31
morefirejules08 wrote:
30 Jul 2022, 17:27

They are opposed to both
No they are absolutely not, both teams said the TD will do nothing to them. In fact that's the reasoning from Ferrari and RBR as to why 2023 rule change is unnecessary, they already have the TD with the new sensors.
If you read everything RB and Horner have said about the TD, it has all been negative with the aim to delegitimise it. Everything from saying it will only help Mercedes, that it’ll allow the FIA to dictate set up, that mid season rule changes should be allowed etc etc. these are not the comments of a team that are for the TD being introduced at spa.
They never said the TD will only help mercedes, you are talking about the 2023 rule change. For me to defend Horner...

mendis
mendis

My hunch is Russell has gone with full wet setup that heats up the wet tyres and that paid dividend on softer range. He might just cook up his tyres tomorrow. It would be nice to see him win a race but i doubt it.

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

TNTHead wrote:
30 Jul 2022, 18:12
SAI for the win, VER dnf or P4/P5.
Norris or/and Hamilton on the podium.