Is Netflix the reason for "fans" behavior?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
PlatinumZealot

Re: Is Netflix the reason for "fans" behavior?

MadMax wrote:
11 Nov 2022, 01:12
In answer to the thread title's question: no, Netflix isn't the reason, it's human nature with the added pressure of social media creating echo chambers where fans of one sort or another feed off each other until they end up hating anyone not in their group. We see the same thing happening in politics - particularly in the US but also in Europe - where supporters of one politician / party sit in social media echo chambers building the hatred for "them".

Social media has an awful lot to answer for.
This pretty much is it in a nutshell.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Stu

Agreed, I put something similar in a recent chat with the other mods; “Sums up the socials for me, but sad that society is starting to mirror the self-aggrandising, narcissistic, lack of conscience that anonymity allows.”
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

TMLM

I'd even add the young demographic that F1 has targeted is a big factor. Teenagers will be teenagers, edgy and all (speaking as a uni student)

dans79

chrisc90 wrote:
09 Nov 2023, 19:46
Problem is. in 1980,1990, 2000's, 2010, there was VERY little web presence. There was no social media, no twitters, no reddits, no forums.
bulletin board existed in the 80's
Forums existed in the 90's
Reddit, Facebook, & Twitter in mid 0's

The difference between now and then are:
  • smartphones didn't become common till the early 0's, and even if you had one, data plans where $$$
  • push notifications didn't exist
  • autocomplete didn't exist
  • talk to text didn't exist
197 104 103 7

chrisc90

dans79 wrote:
09 Nov 2023, 20:54
chrisc90 wrote:
Problem is. in 1980,1990, 2000's, 2010, there was VERY little web presence. There was no social media, no twitters, no reddits, no forums.
bulletin board existed in the 80's
Forums existed in the 90's
Reddit, Facebook, & Twitter in mid 0's

The difference between now and then are:
  • smartphones didn't become common till the early 0's, and even if you had one, data plans where $$$
  • push notifications didn't exist
  • autocomplete didn't exist
  • talk to text didn't exist
Well the internet was only publicly available to the UK in around 1992.

Edax

chrisc90 wrote:
Problem is. in 1980,1990, 2000's, 2010, there was VERY little web presence. There was no social media, no twitters, no reddits, no forums. What you seen was what you got on TV and in the news or the newspaper the following day.

Now we can have worldwide news at the touch of a fingertip, thats readily accessible from the mobile phone in your pocket, means you see more and more of it happening.

I think it's pretty wrong to suggest that the current fans behaviour is down to 2 people or a team. if that was the case, then that team/driver wouldnt get any online abuse etc.
Not to mention camera’s. I have seen fans fighting over races in the eighties. But if there would have been someone with a camera and he would have managed to get a good shot. By the time he would have had his negatives developed it would not have been news anymore.

Now there are 20 people with phones hovering over every noteworthy event creating instant accessible news.

Anyway, i think this stuff is way overblown. Yes there are incidents, and maybe more than in the past, or less, I can’t tell.

Last race I was sitting with some ferrari and merc fans sharing beers and cracking jokes about the teams. Imagine trying that at a soccer match. Last time I was in the stadium it felt like entering a supermax. As long as F1 does not have to cage up their fans I’d say we’re doing pretty OK.

dans79

Edax wrote:
10 Nov 2023, 00:44
Last race I was sitting with some ferrari and merc fans sharing beers and cracking jokes about the teams. Imagine trying that at a soccer match. Last time I was in the stadium it felt like entering a supermax. As long as F1 does not have to cage up their fans I’d say we’re doing pretty OK.
Might be race dependent. In Canada 2015 I came real close to assaulting some people for making unacceptable comments/gestures at my wife because of the shirt she was wearing!
197 104 103 7