2022 São Paulo Grand Prix - Interlagos, Nov 11 - 13

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Bill
Bill

Re: 2022 São Paulo Grand Prix - Interlagos, Nov 11 - 13

these would be another high altitude track like Mexico ,i expect Ferrari to save their turbo ,Merc would be saving fuel ,Renault would blow another pu and Fernando would scream engine again since 2015.Max would easily cruise to another victory.
IF next year is to become a great season others would need to step up in the engine department for various reason.some people think Rbr is poised for dominating until the round of regulation changes in 2026 not because they dont think Merc and Ferrari can build a better car than them,but because deep down they know Honda advantage is locked down by pu freeze.

MadMax
MadMax

Bill wrote:
09 Nov 2022, 13:31
these would be another high altitude track like Mexico ,i expect Ferrari to save their turbo ,Merc would be saving fuel ,Renault would blow another pu and Fernando would scream engine again since 2015.Max would easily cruise to another victory.
IF next year is to become a great season others would need to step up in the engine department for various reason.some people think Rbr is poised for dominating until the round of regulation changes in 2026 not because they dont think Merc and Ferrari can build a better car than them,but because deep down they know Honda advantage is locked down by pu freeze.
Red Bull played the engine freeze extremely well to their advantage. For others to "catch up" there will need to be some big "reliability upgrades". And that's fairly difficult to achieve in a fairly mature engine environment.

It's going to need to a better chassis / aero set up to beat the Red Bull going forward in the next 2-3 years.

Big Tea

MadMax wrote:
09 Nov 2022, 13:36
Bill wrote:
Red Bull played the engine freeze extremely well to their advantage. For others to "catch up" there will need to be some big "reliability upgrades". And that's fairly difficult to achieve in a fairly mature engine environment.

It's going to need to a better chassis / aero set up to beat the Red Bull going forward in the next 2-3 years.
I'm not sure that what Merc and Ferrari lack is in the engine department. Ferrari this year have had a torrid time on the pitwall and Merc have said they goofed, but have improved through the year. If not for the cost cap, they may well have been much closer to RBR by now.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

MadMax
MadMax

Big Tea wrote:
09 Nov 2022, 13:41
MadMax wrote:
Bill wrote:

I'm not sure that what Merc and Ferrari lack is in the engine department. Ferrari this year have had a torrid time on the pitwall and Merc have said they goofed, but have improved through the year. If not for the cost cap, they may well have been much closer to RBR by now.
I think the Honda PU is the best now, but it is all very close. But the PUs are pretty much locked in so if Ferrari and Mercedes want to beat RBR they have to do it in chassis/aero side (and on the pit wall, of course, where Red Bull have always been very strong).

Big Tea

MadMax wrote:
09 Nov 2022, 13:54
Big Tea wrote:
MadMax wrote:

I think the Honda PU is the best now, but it is all very close. But the PUs are pretty much locked in so if Ferrari and Mercedes want to beat RBR they have to do it in chassis/aero side (and on the pit wall, of course, where Red Bull have always been very strong).
Ah, yes. Catching up is one thing, beating them is another thing alltogether
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

organic

Bill wrote:
It's not the PU that makes the difference

chrisc90

I guess the ERS system will be a big player too, since you can’t upgrade that.

Bill
Bill

Big Tea wrote:
MadMax wrote:
Bill wrote:

in aerodynamics the teams usually talks about useful downforce i quess it means good downforce with litte drag which translate to fastlaptime.it the same with pu .ferrari can boast about having the most peak power but in the race hold back because of poor relibilty and not consistent deployment of ers then they dont do consistent fast lap times.
merc have bigger problems redbull stole or hired their employees

mendis
mendis

MadMax wrote:
Bill wrote:

Everybody had the same opportunity and time prior to freeze. Infact, Ferrari was in worse position when they accepted the rules for freezing the engines. They could have vetoed the change to play it safe to reclaim lost power. It was bold. Mercedes was in driver's position at that time with their engine as that was the most powerful engine and I am sure they were happy to sign the change.

Mattchu

I might watch a bit of this race because I love the Brazil track, I watched some of Mexico as I like that as well, but still the cars look and sound horrible. They may not be as under steery as earlier in the season but they still look about as nimble as a manatee.
The great big daft wheels/tyres with plate covers don`t help the aesthetics, maybe next year we`ll go full yank and have chrome spinners and bouncy suspension (oops, we`ve already had that!).

Give me a raky Red Bull, a sleek Merc or a funky Ferrari any day, instead of these hulking cloans of each other, whereby if they were all black you`d be hard pressed to tell the difference!

organic

Mattchu wrote:
09 Nov 2022, 18:33
I might watch a bit of this race because I love the Brazil track, I watched some of Mexico as I like that as well, but still the cars look and sound horrible. They may not be as under steery as earlier in the season but they still look about as nimble as a manatee.
The great big daft wheels/tyres with plate covers don`t help the aesthetics, maybe next year we`ll go full yank and have chrome spinners and bouncy suspension (oops, we`ve already had that!).

Give me a raky Red Bull, a sleek Merc or a funky Ferrari any day, instead of these hulking cloans of each other, whereby if they were all black you`d be hard pressed to tell the difference!
What? The cars look completely different from one another even without liveries! :lol: :lol:

Wouter

Mclaren spare chassis inside the box.

Last edited by Wouter on 09 Nov 2022, 19:20, edited 1 time in total.
The Power of Dreams!

MadMax
MadMax

mendis wrote:
09 Nov 2022, 17:01
MadMax wrote:
Bill wrote:

Everybody had the same opportunity and time prior to freeze. Infact, Ferrari was in worse position when they accepted the rules for freezing the engines. They could have vetoed the change to play it safe to reclaim lost power. It was bold. Mercedes was in driver's position at that time with their engine as that was the most powerful engine and I am sure they were happy to sign the change.
I think Red Bull and Honda downplayed their own hand to fool the others. There was the whole reason for the freeze - Honda leaving and Red Bull not being able to compete if there was no freeze. And then we see Honda turning back up again afterwards.

As I said, they played it well.

organic

Wins from pole rate is only 36% at Brazil. Cars with best race pace won't get trapped behind slower cars here.

Rain in some sessions and not others could make things interesting

MadMax
MadMax

Mattchu wrote:
09 Nov 2022, 18:33

Those three haven't looked this dissimilar in years. You almost have to go back to the V8 days to see such differences.