2022 São Paulo Grand Prix - Interlagos, Nov 11 - 13

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
a1b2i3r45

Re: 2022 São Paulo Grand Prix - Interlagos, Nov 11 - 13

Max verstappen is the father of “dirty racing”. Since the beginning of his career, he is famous for braking very late when defending, taking the whole corner to turn and either running the other driver out of the truck or making him brake early in anticipation of not making the corner.

Since there were no clear rules, he just won 21 wdc based on that (if you see replays, I bet there would be at least 21 times he ran Ham out of track).

chrisc90

At least max knows how to defend a corner.

Lewis leaves the door clean open on the inside near enough all of the time

JordanFiveOh
JordanFiveOh

It’s nearly a carbon copy from Monza 2021.

a1b2i3r45

chrisc90 wrote:
15 Nov 2022, 19:12

No, that’s the spirit of racing, leaving room for others, not running them out.

Remember 2017, vettel complaining about max weaving like crazy several occasions to defend. The list of dirty racing tactics of Max verstappen is a long one.

chrisc90

a1b2i3r45 wrote:
15 Nov 2022, 19:17
chrisc90 wrote:

Remember 2017, vettel complaining about max weaving like crazy several occasions to defend. The list of dirty racing tactics of Max verstappen is a long one.
Ive lost count the amount of times Lewis has near enough left the whole of the track on the inside of him. I know its a touchy one but look at Max's move in AD '21 into turn 4 when he went down the inside. If Lewis was another 1.5-2 car widths into the centre of the track then Max wouldnt have got past.

Its one saying leaving the door open in racing....but sometimes Lewis leaves the barn door wide open.

There has been countless times this season too.

dans79

chrisc90 wrote:

Unless the driver trying to overtake up the inside has a substantial tire/grip/performance advantage, or gets the pass done very early into the corner, he is going to be on a slower compromised line. The car on the outside, assuming he isn't pushed off will be able to carry more speed through the turn, and get the power down sooner than the inside car.

A good example of this is turn 1 overtakes in Bahrain.
197 104 103 7

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

chrisc90 wrote:
15 Nov 2022, 19:20
a1b2i3r45 wrote:
chrisc90 wrote:

Ive lost count the amount of times Lewis has near enough left the whole of the track on the inside of him. I know its a touchy one but look at Max's move in AD '21 into turn 4 when he went down the inside. If Lewis was another 1.5-2 car widths into the centre of the track then Max wouldnt have got past.

Its one saying leaving the door open in racing....but sometimes Lewis leaves the barn door wide open.

Lewis has a strange habit of darting back to the racing line after an overtake which makes him vulnerable. It is the single reason that Perez re-passed him in Abu Dhabi.

chrisc90

AR3-GP wrote:
15 Nov 2022, 19:45
chrisc90 wrote:
a1b2i3r45 wrote:

Lewis has a strange habit of darting back to the racing line after an overtake which makes him vulnerable. It is the single reason that Perez re-passed him in Abu Dhabi.
Agreed, All Lewis had to do there was sit his car 1/3-1/2 of the way to the inside of the track and defend. That would have meant that Perez wouldn't have been able to re-overtake. Granted that he corner wouldn't have been the cleanest exit, it would have also meant the car behind was in the same scenario.

Mosin123
Mosin123

chrisc90 wrote:
a1b2i3r45 wrote:
chrisc90 wrote:

To me, lewis encourages racing, he leaves the door open but makes the person over taking take a compromised line, thus being weaker on exit / down the straight. I enjoy watching perez and LH swapping positions and racing than Maxs if you dont yeild we are going to crash and ruin the race for the fans approach.

Vanja #66

Mosin123 wrote:
15 Nov 2022, 18:49
No, he said the same as the stewards did, your only BEEF is because its not what YOU WANTED to hear.
Please don't assume what I want and don't want :) Max' penalty got Leclerc to P4, so I should be happy with that. Inconsistent ruling is what I really dislike and Norris declared fully at fault getting the same penalty as Max being declared "mostly at fault" is pure amateurism. Even Button agrees Max shouldn't have been penalized.

And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Mosin123
Mosin123

Vanja #66 wrote:
15 Nov 2022, 21:01
Mosin123 wrote:
No, he said the same as the stewards did, your only BEEF is because its not what YOU WANTED to hear.
Please don't assume what I want and don't want :) Max' penalty got Leclerc to P4, so I should be happy with that. Inconsistent ruling is what I really dislike and Norris declared fully at fault getting the same penalty as Max being declared "mostly at fault" is pure amateurism. Even Button agrees Max shouldn't have been penalized.

He did to start with, then proceeds to incinuate t2 has only one line and max is not likely to make the turn, from 1 min 15 secs....... so goes on to agree with the stewards decision.......

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

Vanja #66 wrote:
Mosin123 wrote:

Sums it up nicely and pretty much what a lot of us have been saying. Hence I’ve been in agreement with the stewards decision on who has predominantly at fault. If Lewis had given more room and VER still clattered into him then VER would be wholly at fault and time to bring down the hammer.

They both need to take a step back and assess the rules of engagement between one another. These unnecessary coming together will be costly if they happen next year

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

101FlyingDutchman wrote:
15 Nov 2022, 21:15
Vanja #66 wrote:
Mosin123 wrote:

Sums it up nicely and pretty much what a lot of us have been saying. Hence I’ve been in agreement with the stewards decision on who has predominantly at fault. If Lewis had given more room and VER still clattered into him then VER would be wholly at fault and time to bring down the hammer.

They both need to take a step back and assess the rules of engagement between one another. These unnecessary coming together will be costly if they happen next year
I've not found the racing between them to be particularly interesting and I don't think F1 needs the rivalry to be honest. Russell, Leclerc, Sainz have all put on a show with Max. The sport doesn't need Hamilton-Verstappen anymore. We've seen enough this season to show the sport is in good hands with Verstappen and his peers.

Tvetovnato
Tvetovnato

chrisc90 wrote:
a1b2i3r45 wrote:
chrisc90 wrote:

The reason he ”left the door open” was that there was no door to even be left open, since Max was too far back to even make a proper overtaking attempt. He did exactly the same thing in Jeddah, but on the outside. Simply decide to go WAY. TOO. FAST. into the corner without any chance of making a clean overtake stick. At least not without forcing the driver ahead to take evasive action and leave the track to keep his car intact. That is the SOLE reason Lewis was allowed to keep that position in AD. When Max had finally gotten his own car to turn, he was already at the edge of the track, leaving Lewis nowhere to go. Max was penalized for this type of move in Jeddah, and was in a way penalized for it in AD since Lewis was allowed to keep the position.

Now, there are two groups of people who don’t understand this simple rule of racing and are always surprised when Max gets a penalty. It’s: 1. Max and his closest team, and 2. His fans.

And it seems to be 100% impossible to explain it in a way to make them understand.

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

AR3-GP wrote:
15 Nov 2022, 21:20
101FlyingDutchman wrote:
15 Nov 2022, 21:15
Vanja #66 wrote:

I've not found the racing between them to be particularly interesting and I don't think F1 needs the rivalry to be honest. Russell, Leclerc, Sainz have all put on a show with Max. The sport doesn't need Hamilton-Verstappen anymore.
Totally agree! I loved the beginning of the season. Only shame was that the Merc wasn’t in it to start off with. Some of duelling on track has been excellent. This “rivalry” spoils it massively for me as it’s so dumb