Mercedes W14 Speculation Thread

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Re: Mercedes W14 Speculation Thread

Great Britain has very favorable laws for employers regarding overtime pay.

f1jcw
f1jcw

AR3-GP wrote:
11 Feb 2023, 16:34
Can be anything you want.

Normal Pay
Bonuses
Time in lieu
Time and a half
Double time

If they get time in lieu, they would get extra work outside of the budget cap

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

f1jcw wrote:
11 Feb 2023, 16:42
AR3-GP wrote:
Can be anything you want.

Normal Pay
Bonuses
Time in lieu
Time and a half
Double time

If they get time in lieu, they would get extra work outside of the budget cap
Yes essentially, I was trying to imply that its a big advantage of the UK based teams, with respect to the budget cap.

It's a disadvantage for teams operating out of the US, Switzerland, and Italy where overtime pay is regulated at above normal wage.

Of course, there is a human cost you have to consider. Your employees have to have a passion for working while being underpaid for the time commitment otherwise they simply grow to resent the employer.

chrisc90

AR3-GP wrote:
Depends what's contracted really. I'm sure there will be a clause in the workers contracts where the company can dictate what overtime they do up to a certain level. Used to be the same for me when worked at Nissan. Our contracts said that if there was any downtime or requirement or production they could add on up to a hour and a half at the end of the shift (had to be stated by a certain time) or they could get you to work a shift on a Saturday.

Bit rubbish when your life is dictated by your employer really, but there is also a weekly working hours in the UK, unless you opt out. Legally a employer cant force you to work over 48hours a week, unless the employee opts out.
Then you have stuff like an uninterrupted 11hour break between shifts, an uninterrupted 24 hours without any work each week and an uninterrupted 48 hours without any work each fortnight.

Granted I can imagine a few of those will make staff opt out of such as working hours, but im not sure you can opt out of the rest periods.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Double digit gain reported for the Mercedes engine: https://www.formu1a.uno/mercedes-w14-da ... i-ferrari/
Especially hearing the last (few) voices coming out of Brackley who would like the gain of the German engine with a double-digit value, for what in effect wants to be a season of revival also for that part of the Anglo-German team. Last season, only with an intervention to the reliability of the crankshaft on the Phase 3 launched at Spa, Mercedes slowly managed to express a good engine potential, which also allowed it to win the Brazilian GP at Interlagos.

f1jcw
f1jcw

chrisc90 wrote:
11 Feb 2023, 16:48
AR3-GP wrote:
Depends what's contracted really. I'm sure there will be a clause in the workers contracts where the company can dictate what overtime they do up to a certain level. Used to be the same for me when worked at Nissan. Our contracts said that if there was any downtime or requirement or production they could add on up to a hour and a half at the end of the shift (had to be stated by a certain time) or they could get you to work a shift on a Saturday.

Bit rubbish when your life is dictated by your employer really, but there is also a weekly working hours in the UK, unless you opt out. Legally a employer cant force you to work over 48hours a week, unless the employee opts out.
Then you have stuff like an uninterrupted 11hour break between shifts, an uninterrupted 24 hours without any work each week and an uninterrupted 48 hours without any work each fortnight.

Granted I can imagine a few of those will make staff opt out of such as working hours, but im not sure you can opt out of the rest periods.
realistically , no one is forced to work overtime if they don’t want to, but a lot of employees if have to put the hours for the company to succeed they will do, a lot of people have personal pride and a bit of a extra bonus in money doesn’t do any harm. It’s not really a big deal now and then, I’m sure the engineers at Mercedes will cope.

De Jokke

More bad news:

Russell on impact of penalty

"I think it can be a factor," Russell acknowledged in an interview with Auto, Motor und Sport. "But the benefit Red Bull has is they started from such a high level and they had the foundations there. We are using our wind tunnel time to find answers. For example, is that the direction we need to go, or is that the direction we need to go? Whereas Red Bull, because they were on the right track from the beginning, they are not problem solving, they are just adding performance."

Therefore, the British Mercedes driver does not know exactly how big the impact is going to be. "Even though it sounds like we have a lot more wind tunnel time, because they were on the right track from the start, I don't think it will hurt them as much as it seems on paper. Because we probably use that extra 10% solving our problems, which Red Bull have already solved."

source: https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/179125/r ... it-is.html

So Merc still in problem solving modus :? .
Mercedes AMG + Hamilton => dreamteam!
If you can't beat'em, call Masi!

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

I would take any media statements with a grain of salt whether they are in favor of a team or not in favor. It's all smoke and mirrors. No one knows until they hit the track.

pursue_one's

As for the Mercedes livery, no major changes should be expected. The W14 will continue in the grey and black combination of last year, featuring the now well-known red colour from one of the team’s major sponsors – Ineos.

There will be even more carbon on display, which will be part of an important effort to reduce the W14’s weight, which we have previously mentioned in recent weeks.

It is a trend we have already seen with Alfa Romeo’s C43 and will likely be replicated across the field in 2023 to reach meet F1’s minimum weight.
https://www.formu1a.uno/mercedes-w14-si ... d-in-2023/

Venturiation
Venturiation

the delay doesn't look good
is it going to be another spec b car coming the last day of testing or in FP1 at Race 1?

Chuckjr

That bodes poorly for Merc. If they are still solving problems —according to the driver who’s at the factory talking to the engineers, not the media’s opinion— then yea, that’s not a good sign. I’m confident Merc will have the car ready for testing, the question is if they are STILL trying to figure out what they are doing.
Watching F1 since 1986.

cplchanb
cplchanb

Chuckjr wrote:
12 Feb 2023, 03:32
That bodes poorly for Merc. If they are still solving problems —according to the driver who’s at the factory talking to the engineers, not the media’s opinion— then yea, that’s not a good sign. I’m confident Merc will have the car ready for testing, the question is if they are STILL trying to figure out what they are doing.
Geez... whats with the doomsday scenarios already... may I remind you the rb18 was under similar crisis after Barcelona.... look how that turn out....

mendis
mendis

cplchanb wrote:
12 Feb 2023, 06:35
Chuckjr wrote:
Geez... whats with the doomsday scenarios already... may I remind you the rb18 was under similar crisis after Barcelona.... look how that turn out....
Are you referring to SF-75? RB18 won in Spain, Monaco, Azerbaijan and Canada on the bounce. So not sure what you are referring to. Both Red Bull and Ferrari looked in great shape in testing and early races.

organic

mendis wrote:
12 Feb 2023, 08:33
cplchanb wrote:
12 Feb 2023, 06:35
Chuckjr wrote:
Are you referring to SF-75? RB18 won in Spain, Monaco, Azerbaijan and Canada on the bounce. So not sure what you are referring to. Both Red Bull and Ferrari looked in great shape in testing and early races.

I think they meant at Barcelona testing. At Barcelona testing RB didn't look particularly good; they had massive understeer (which never went entirely away) and suffered fairly badly with porpoising. Although that was not the race spec RB18 in fairness

Venturiation
Venturiation

If you look back except 2020 Mercedes never had a really strong first races
They needed to wait for upgrades to win without a problem