Oracle Red Bull Racing RB19 Speculation Thread

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Big Tea

Re: Oracle Red Bull Racing RB19 Speculation Thread

1158 wrote:
07 Jan 2023, 17:49
Could hydraulic fluid be used instead of oil for charge cooling? I have no idea if that would work, how hot the hydraulic fluid gets or how good it would be at pulling heat from the charge air.

Just trying to think outside the box.
Is the composition of hydraulic fluid regulated totally? if a convenient additive can work...
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

A quick look at the tech regs shows no mention of hydraulic fluid composition. Only fuel and engine oil. Granted it's 180 pages and I spent less than 180 seconds looking...

jordanb
jordanb

1158 wrote:
07 Jan 2023, 18:11
A quick look at the tech regs shows no mention of hydraulic fluid composition. Only fuel and engine oil. Granted it's 180 pages and I spent less than 180 seconds looking...
The regulations clearly mention the freeze of chemical formulation of oil and fuel both. It would be tested at every race to the baseline provided at the date of freezing.

jordanb wrote:
08 Jan 2023, 05:20
1158 wrote:
The regulations clearly mention the freeze of chemical formulation of oil and fuel both. It would be tested at every race to the baseline provided at the date of freezing.
Yes it clearly says engine oil. There is NO mention of hydraulic fluid/oil.

jordanb
jordanb

1158 wrote:
08 Jan 2023, 08:05
jordanb wrote:
1158 wrote:
What according to you is "hydraulic fluid/oil"? What is the purpose of it?

To simplify, anything that goes in the combustion chamber and participates in ignition process, is tightly defined and controlled in the Article 16. No other fluid, from anywhere, can enter the combustion process, other than fuel itself and the stipulated volume/specifications of engine oil, which are now Frozen. Any other type of oil used anywhere outside is not defined as it doesn't become a participating factor in engine performance.

organic

They claim car launch on 3rd Feb. It'll be livery only, presumably on either a showcar or an Rb18

BlueCheetah66
BlueCheetah66

I wonder when we will get to the point where a car launch is in January

chrisc90

I’d laugh if they used the F1 show car like they did last year.

Vanja #66

BlueCheetah66 wrote:
13 Jan 2023, 18:53
I wonder when we will get to the point where a car launch is in January
It's really inconvenient to organise a test session before the end of February, due to holidays and the time needed to actually build the car up. Since the season is already ending in late November and starting in early March, it's hard seeing FOM will decide to move the start before March.

Teams will always use the chance to finish the build as late as possible and still keep some time for promo-video-testing and of course testing on dynamic post-rigs etc. So with all that, any car built before mid-February is built too soon (you can't do much with it until official tests) meaning time for launch-spec development is wasted.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

3rd of February ? :wtf:

So basically they'll show nothing until the first test :lol:

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

chrisc90 wrote:
13 Jan 2023, 19:31
I’d laugh if they used the F1 show car like they did last year.
Red Bull's culture is to leave the car as late as possible. Anyone thinking that Red Bull will be showing a 2023 car on February 3rd, before any other team, will be very disappointed.

BlueCheetah66
BlueCheetah66

I expect them to use the RB18 but I cant lie, it would actually be quite funny if they just used the same show car

gandharva

Maybe even a paper launch. Just as expected. We won't see the finished car before Day 1 PST.

ME4ME

I expect the real race-ready RB19 to only be released on the last day of testing or at FP1 at the first race. That's pretty much been the trend lately.

It might well be that they show some RB18-19 hybrid in NY but nothing that will ever hit the track in 2023 in that configuration.

jordanb wrote:
08 Jan 2023, 08:12
1158 wrote:
08 Jan 2023, 08:05
jordanb wrote:
What according to you is "hydraulic fluid/oil"? What is the purpose of it?

To simplify, anything that goes in the combustion chamber and participates in ignition process, is tightly defined and controlled in the Article 16. No other fluid, from anywhere, can enter the combustion process, other than fuel itself and the stipulated volume/specifications of engine oil, which are now Frozen. Any other type of oil used anywhere outside is not defined as it doesn't become a participating factor in engine performance.
I was speaking of using the oil in the hydraulic system as a cooling agent for the intake charge. Not being used in the engine. I'm not even sure it would be worthwhile. It was a question. No where was using the hydraulic system as part of the combustion process mentioned.