2023 Scuderia AlphaTauri F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Wouter

Re: 2023 Scuderia AlphaTauri F1 Team

Why AlphaTauri refuses to make its 2023 F1 car a Red Bull copy
THE RACE . 12 feb 2023

AlphaTauri may be Red Bull’s second-team, but its newly-launched 2023 car shows it’s still keen to go its own way in terms of design.
That’s despite having access to parts from Red Bull Technology, which also makes the all-conquering Red Bull F1 car. Although AlphaTauri uses some parts, it doesn’t go anywhere near as far as Haas does in its Ferrari partnership.
The AlphaTauri AT04 that was revealed in renders released in tandem with its New York fashion show launch event uses the same Honda power unit, gearbox, hydraulics and rear suspension as Red Bull. But it does the rest itself.
Although what’s called the synergy programme, which was adopted in 2019, is designed to maximise crossover with Red Bull, AlphaTauri has favoured picking and choosing its parts in recent years. This year, that means a mix of 2022 and 23-specification Red Bull parts, as well as plenty of its own design.
The Power of Dreams!

Wouter

In detail: AlphaTauri’s plan to right the wrongs of last year

Technical director Jody Egginton accepted that the team underachieved in ’22 – something that it intends to put right this year.

“We’ve proven the level we can deliver at. And the team objective of wanting to operate in the top five in the constructors’ championship, we’ve proven we could do it. We’ve just got to do it and we’ve got most of the tools. We’re a little bit smaller – we have to work a little bit harder and a little bit more efficiently. But what we might lose in firepower, I like to think we can recover with quick reactions and tenacity. That’s the goal.”

“The chassis will be significantly modified because there’s a change in the rollhoop regulations and we need to look at it from a structural perspective because of that,” said Egginton.

“But there’s also aerodynamic benefit to be had like every other team, we’re interested in moving the front suspension forwards. It’s a key aerodynamic driver.

“But if you make mods to the chassis, that doesn’t necessarily mean you’re starting from a completely new tooling and a complete new chassis pattern. There’s many steps between carrying over physical parts and just modifying tooling, so it will be a mix. The budget cap really forces you to look at it and the key point is to make sure that we modify all the structural parts which could be aerodynamic key drivers.

“There’s a lightweighting opportunity, but we should be able to get weight out of the car without doing anything new. We’re aero-driven ultimately, so we’re also in a position to hopefully take advantage with some carryover If you’re not investing in certain parts of the car and you can more efficiently use that money elsewhere to develop other parts of the car.”

The whole interview on The Race
The Power of Dreams!

organic

Wouter

SOON. The official brand NYCK by @nyckdevries
www.nyckdevries.com

The Power of Dreams!

Wouter

Today in Misano.

The Power of Dreams!

Wouter

Image By Erik van Haren

Nyck de Vries in action in Bahrain on Thursday

AMSTERDAM - Nyck de Vries is allowed to collect as much data as possible every day for AlphaTauri, Red Bull's sister team.
The racing stable chooses to have both De Vries and companion Yuki Tsunoda complete a part of the day every day.

De Vries drives on Thursday afternoon, Friday afternoon and Saturday morning.
The Power of Dreams!

organic

Wouter wrote:
20 Feb 2023, 10:20

https://www.telegraaf.nl/images/34x34/f ... bc01c1.png By Erik van Haren

Nyck de Vries in action in Bahrain on Thursday

AMSTERDAM - Nyck de Vries is allowed to collect as much data as possible every day for AlphaTauri, Red Bull's sister team.
The racing stable chooses to have both De Vries and companion Yuki Tsunoda complete a part of the day every day.

De Vries drives on Thursday afternoon, Friday afternoon and Saturday morning.
Same as they did last year. AFAIK they were the only team to do it that way

organic

Palmer talking about how Alpha Tauri looks like the most understeery car with the weakest turn-in. He suggested from his experience it looks like the car lacks front downforce :|

continuum16

organic wrote:
24 Feb 2023, 14:50
Palmer talking about how Alpha Tauri looks like the most understeery car with the weakest turn-in. He suggested from his experience it looks like the car lacks front downforce :|
On track, the car doesn't really look that different to last year. Maybe slightly more overall load but not enough to make a big change in relative performance. This makes sense when you consider that of all the 2023 cars, this car looks the most like the 2022 version from the outside, and the 2022 version wasn't even that good to begin with.

In interviews Tsunoda seems to indicate they still have more or less the same problems as last year, although maybe a tad less extreme. Similar to Williams, although I think Williams has made a larger jump relative to their starting point.
"You can't argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"
- Mark Twain

organic

Yup I've picked up similar things as you

I put them as my lowest performing team in '23 in the pecking order thread. Don't have high hopes.

De Vries was 5 tenths off zhou on c4 vs zhou on c5. Considering de cries is new, I would say that isn't terrible. Ofc fuel load, engine etc etc.

But the noises out of Williams seem so positive.. feels like maybe a Haas vs Williams vs alpha tauri for 8/9/10 if AT are lucky..

organic

I think the big positive is that running has been very smooth, De Vries looks comfortable, and the car seems reliable.

Wouter

organic wrote:
25 Feb 2023, 13:07
I think the big positive is that running has been very smooth, De Vries looks comfortable, and the car seems reliable.
Did you see if the car had still so much understeer? I didn't see the test this morning.
The Power of Dreams!

organic

Wouter wrote:
25 Feb 2023, 14:53
organic wrote:
25 Feb 2023, 13:07
Did you see if the car had still so much understeer? I didn't see the test this morning.
Better for sure, but I think I saw these onboards on softer tyres which can hide balance problems. Yuki is running the C2 tyre this afternoon and has problems turning in again but this is not abnormal on long runs with harder tyre

kediown

organic

And the reply underneath