2023 Scuderia AlphaTauri F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
organic

Re: 2023 Scuderia AlphaTauri F1 Team

"No, AlphaTauri is not for sale," he tells RacingNews365.

"Internally, there were several considerations, though.

"What is not satisfactory is that AlphaTauri costs more than Red Bull, so what do we do?

"Do we restructure, do you stay in Italy? Do you move the team partially to England or maybe even completely? Do you sell the whole thing?

"These were the considerations, when a new management comes in, you go through every possibility.

"We need a second team, simple as that.

"Especially also for the [Red Bull Powertrains] engines, it has to work. We have very good people here, the best.

"But we also have to prove in practice that things are under control."
Different name for the team?
"It is something we are reconsidering," he replies when asked about the future of the name of the team.

"It is logical too. The branding of AlphaTauri has been scaled back somewhat, because only in a few countries where we race, AlphaTauri is actually sold.

"It is about three to four countries only.

"The task is simple. More money must be brought in and results improved."

When asked how to do that, Marko did not rule out the possibility of an external title sponsor being signed with the team, in a similar way to Oracle at the main squad."

I guess they are considering the possibility of a title sponsorship like sauber/Audi had/have with Alfa Romeo

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

I hear Alfa Romeo are looking for a way to stay in F1….

They would have to abandon the Italian engines….but they’d be sponsoring an Italy based F1 team. This may have some philosophical benefits.

Wouter

Guru Johl, head of aerodynamics at Aston Martin, signs for AlphaTauri

- SoyMotor.com
27 Mar 2023 - 20:35

Franz Tost has made a move after declaring, after the Saudi Arabian GP, "I don't trust my engineers".

Tost has recruited a new head of aerodynamics, Dr. Guru Johl, who will work in Milton Keynes. There is no official announcement at the moment, but on his LinkedIn profile, Guru Johl has already posted that he works for the AlphaTauri team.

In the same profile, Guru cites that his previous job was as head of aerodynamics… at Aston Martin!
In fact, he has been at Silverstone since January 2015, when the team was still Force India, until this March.

His departure should not surprise us. Especially since Dan Fallows from Red Bull arrived, and the new head of aerodynamics, from Mercedes, Eric Blandin, who joined at the end of 2022, after completing the 'gardening' period. In fact, if Johl says that he already works for AlphaTauri, it means that he has already completed the 'gardening' period.

For Johl it's almost a 'homecoming', as he worked for Red Bull from April 1994 to January 2015.
He was the one who designed Red Bull's initial wind tunnel before becoming aerodynamics 'Team Leader' .

Dr Guru Johl

Dpt Head of Aerodynamics at Scuderia Alpha Tauri Formula One Team
Milton Keynes, England, United Kingdom

Aston Martin and Force India / Racing Point Formula One Teams · Fulltime

jan. 2015 - mrt. 2023

- Chief Aerodynamicist

Red Bull Racing & Red Bull Technology

apr. 2004 - jan. 2015

- Aerodynamics Team Leader
jan. 2013 - jan. 2015 ·

- Aerodynamicist
jun. 2006 - jan. 2013 ·

- Wind Tunnel Designer
apr. 2004 - jun. 2006 ·
The Power of Dreams!

Wouter

JETLAG

Rey @Reudemai
8:58 a.m. · 29 march. 2023

#AusGP 🇦🇺 (wo): Yuki Tsunoda @yukitsunoda07 and De Vries @nyckdevries in the morning paddock🥱✨

📸: James Moy Photography (29/3/2023, downloaded by @yt22fanbase )

Image ... Image

Image ... Image
The Power of Dreams!

organic

That will be me on Sunday.

Wouter

After FP 1 and FP2 Australian GP
Yuki Tsunoda (AT04-02, Car 22)

“We started with a difficult FP1 as I struggled with the rear, but I’m happy with our FP2 performance. There was traffic in FP1 caused by GPS issues which caused me to slow down a lot in the last sector, meaning the tyres were not up to temperature when I started my quick lap and I experienced a lack of grip. We don’t know exactly where we are compared to the rest of the field, but we will concentrate on what we have to do as a team to be able to put it together for tomorrow. It will be close and we are aiming for Q3, but first through to Q2. The midfield is tight so any small mistakes are costly, but the car is better than last year, so once we’ve reviewed the data, we see what we can do about tomorrow.”

Nyck de Vries (AT04-03, Car 21)

“Today’s sessions were certainly different in terms of conditions but also as for learning and trying various things. The GPS issue didn’t help, especially due to the nature of the track in which the tyre warm-up also plays an important role. We had a good FP1, after which we made some changes for FP2 to better understand what our new upgrades are doing. Because there is a small bit of grass between the track and the wall, it is a tricky street track where there’s no margin for error. After today, there are a few unknowns about the new upgrades, but we will find out more after the analysis we do tonight. We will need to continue to put things together and build on them during FP3 tomorrow.”

Jonathan Eddolls (Chief Race Engineer)

“We didn’t have the most straight-forward of Fridays in Melbourne. FP1 started according to plan with both cars running the Medium tyre and Yuki testing some new aero components. As is always the case here, the level of grip was improving significantly during the session and the lap times were improving lap by lap. Our performance looked respectable, so we fitted the Soft tyres expecting to find another step in grip, but both drivers struggled to make it work and did not improve. In fact, Yuki had an unexpected snap entering Turn 1, lost the car, and in hitting the kerb on the outside he damaged the floor, which meant the end to his session since there wasn’t enough time to repair it. We carried out a number of setup changes for FP2 and moved Nyck to the new aero components. We could see rain on the radar ................ "
The Power of Dreams!

Wouter

https://www.sport1.de/news/motorsport/f ... verstappen

From an interview with Franz Tost last Friday:
SPORT1: Let's move on to AlphaTauri. Why are you not satisfied with the season so far?

Tost: Our goal was to get into Q3 in qualifying and race for points. We haven't managed that so far. The car is too slow. The problem is the aerodynamics. We lack speed, especially on the straights. We now have to find ways to get out of this dilemma. We're on the right track. That includes making better use of the Red Bull wind tunnel in England. I was in Milton Keynes last week for that. We've identified the weak points of the car and now have to produce new parts as quickly as possible.

SPORT1: You criticized your engineers harshly. There was talk of a loss of confidence. Are there any personnel changes?

Tost: Yes. The aero department has been reorganized. We have parted company with employees. I now expect the new people to improve their performance. But I don't want to name any names yet. Just this: Responsibility is now divided among three people.

SPORT1: Aston Martin has virtually copied the Red Bull and is therefore now competitive. Why can't AlphaTauri do that as Red Bull's sister team?

Tost: Because we can't just poach capable people from Red Bull Racing like Aston Martin did. These new recruits were able to develop the new car early on. We can see the result now. But for us, too, the cooperation with Red Bull is now being strengthened. However, the regulations are very precise. You're not allowed to simply copy parts. We're only allowed to use Red Bull parts that are officially permitted. But these are not performance-relevant. We have to develop the rest ourselves. The FIA keeps a close eye on that.

Translated with www.DeepL.com
The Power of Dreams!

continuum16

Crazy how the car is now slow on the straights while last year it was a rocket ship like RB; especially since it looks like the least evolved car compared to 2022 from the naked eye.

I wonder if they’ve gotten rid of Jody Eggington and are going to the McLaren model of three-person TD team. Either way not great; this team kind of seems like a rudderless ship so far this year, and if Williams had delivered on their potential in Melbourne then they would absolutely be P10.

Also, de Vries hasn’t been quite so plug-and-play as probably Tost/Marko thought he’d be. Not that he’s a flop by any means but he’s been very anonymous so far compared to Yuki.
"You can't argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"
- Mark Twain

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

continuum16 wrote:
06 Apr 2023, 16:29
Crazy how the car is now slow on the straights while last year it was a rocket ship like RB; especially since it looks like the least evolved car compared to 2022 from the naked eye.

I wonder if they’ve gotten rid of Jody Eggington and are going to the McLaren model of three-person TD team. Either way not great; this team kind of seems like a rudderless ship so far this year, and if Williams had delivered on their potential in Melbourne then they would absolutely be P10.

Also, de Vries hasn’t been quite so plug-and-play as probably Tost/Marko thought he’d be. Not that he’s a flop by any means but he’s been very anonymous so far compared to Yuki.
Shouldn't we be comparing it to Tsunoda's own first season?

organic

AR3-GP wrote:
06 Apr 2023, 16:31
continuum16 wrote:

Tsunoda was fresh from Asia in his f2 season and was promoted to F1 after he was rapid in his rookie year.. Tsunoda had barely driven open wheeler cars prior to F2 let alone european circuits. De Vries has been racing on european circuits and in open-wheelers for a decade.. it's a little different. De Vries is almost 30 so he's probably a lot closer to his "potential" than someone like Tsunoda was coming into F1

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

organic wrote:
06 Apr 2023, 16:34
AR3-GP wrote:
continuum16 wrote:

Tsunoda was fresh from Asia in his f2 season and was promoted to F1 after he was rapid in his rookie year.. Tsunoda had barely driven open wheeler cars prior to F2 let alone european circuits. De Vries has been racing on european circuits and in open-wheelers for a decade.. it's a little different
I still feel the leap to F1 is quite significant, no matter what you were doing before then.

I certainly wouldn't imagine any of the current indycar drivers (some of who have european junior formula resume) would be doing so well instantly either.

Is De Vries blowing me away right now? No, but I think it's early days.

Wouter

organic wrote:
AR3-GP wrote:
continuum16 wrote:

Tsunoda was fresh from Asia in his f2 season and was promoted to F1 after he was rapid in his rookie year.. Tsunoda had barely driven open wheeler cars prior to F2 let alone european circuits. De Vries has been racing on european circuits and in open-wheelers for a decade.. it's a little different. De Vries is almost 30 so he's probably a lot closer to his "potential" than someone like Tsunoda was coming into F1
Nyck has never raced before on the first 5 circuits from this saison, so just give it some time. Although I think Yuki is a better driver.
The Power of Dreams!

organic

Wouter wrote:
06 Apr 2023, 17:05
organic wrote:
AR3-GP wrote:

Nyck has never raced before on the first 5 circuits from this saison, so just give it some time. Although I think Yuki is a better driver.
Bahrain was the first race of every F2 season he did, and Baku was also part of his f2 calendar each year

Wouter

organic wrote:
06 Apr 2023, 17:26
Wouter wrote:
06 Apr 2023, 17:05
organic wrote:

Bahrain was the first race of every F2 season he did, and Baku was also part of his f2 calendar each year
You are right @organic. I blindly took it for the truth when Franz Tost told it. Stupid, because I know better. #-o
The Power of Dreams!

continuum16

AR3-GP wrote:
continuum16 wrote:

There’s been nothing notably bad about de Vries; I was thinking more about the fact that Marko (and Tost?) mentioned ahead of the season that de Vries should be team leader based on experience. My guess is they saw his Williams Monza run and thought they could get a like-for-like plug-and-play Gasly replacement, which is clearly not the case. But there is still every chance that he makes a breakthrough between now and the end of the season, like Leclerc Baku 2018. Regardless, de Vries is among the least of this team’s problems right now.
"You can't argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"
- Mark Twain