2023 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Matt2725
Matt2725

Re: 2023 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

I don't see how they achieve anything close to a rework of their car to that extent before say Silverstone.

PlatinumZealot

English please. I cant be bothered to go in and click translate.

As for George Russell. I feel his input is what messing up the development. The Engineers are diverting their attention towards him just like back when Hamilton was paired with Button at Mclaren and they thought Button was the smarter one.

It's a shame they arent listening to the 7XWDC
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

organic

PlatinumZealot wrote:
09 Mar 2023, 12:58

As for George Russell. I feel his input is what messing up the development. The Engineers are diverting their attention towards him just like back when Hamilton was paired with Button at Mclaren and they thought Button was the smarter one.

What makes you think they're listening to Russell? And that Russell would be giving bad input/feedback?

rijtuig
rijtuig

Hamilton did say that they didn't listen to him.

DGP123
DGP123

PlatinumZealot wrote:
Urgent meeting in Brackley. Elliott under pressure. The W14 lacks downforce and slides at medium to high speeds (unlike the SF-23). More conventional bellies are on the way (mid season), but time is needed because the pieces under the hood will also change.

chrisc90

Usual rubbish from Lewis.

If he’s been working with the team for 8-9 years, they know exactly what the car needs.

Someone remind me what experience Lewis has with ground effect

SiLo

chrisc90 wrote:
09 Mar 2023, 13:19
Usual rubbish from Lewis.

If he’s been working with the team for 8-9 years, they know exactly what the car needs.

Someone remind me what experience Lewis has with ground effect
Where the car makes the downforce is of no consequence to Lewis, his feedback will be all about feeling and driveability for him to extract the best from the car. So if he says "as a driver I can find massive chunks of time with balance in medium speed corners", that gives the engineering team direction on where to focus a bit of energy.

It's not as deep as everyone is making out, but its an interesting insight still.
Felipe Baby!

astracrazy
astracrazy

PlatinumZealot wrote:

“I never doubted that we would get there in the end, but there was lots of trial and error, and so much failure this year. There were times we brought upgrades and they didn’t work, and times we tried different things and it didn’t work.

“I tried so many things and failed so many times but, through that, you learn and grow. That’s what it’s been about this year. It’s been about failure, breaking down egos, strengthening our relationships, and strengthening our communications. From that perspective, it’s been really empowering.”
https://www.planetf1.com/news/lewis-ham ... w13-ghost/

He wasn't complaining about no one listening to him at the end of last year.

Fast forward three months, the new cars no good and now no one was listening. This is just typical Lewis behaviour when things don't go his way, no different to what we see during races.

With regards to your Button comment, it amazes me in your opinion the current the younger driver (Russell) doesn't know what he is talking about but the older driver (Hamilton) does, yet back in 2010 it was the younger driver (Hamilton) that knew what he was talking about but the older driver (Button) didn't. Rose tinted glasses.
Last edited by astracrazy on 09 Mar 2023, 13:35, edited 1 time in total.

JordanMugen

SiLo wrote:
09 Mar 2023, 13:25
So if he says "as a driver I can find massive chunks of time with balance in medium speed corners"
If, for example, the balance is shifting or unpredictable in medium speed corners due to the lack of large sidepods to manage tyre wake, does that not contradict Russell's statement of slim sidepods being best?!

Or perhaps the sidepods are of no issue and upper body airflow can be managed in other ways, despite photographic evidence to the contrary?

PlatinumZealot wrote:
09 Mar 2023, 02:46
"The reason we've still got this skinny sidepod concept is because we still believe that is best and, to be honest, I still believe that's not going to transform our performance, if we came next week with a Red Bull style sideboard," he thought.

Matt2725
Matt2725

JordanMugen wrote:
09 Mar 2023, 13:32
SiLo wrote:
09 Mar 2023, 13:25
So if he says "as a driver I can find massive chunks of time with balance in medium speed corners"
If, for example, the balance is shifting or unpredictable in medium speed corners due to the lack of large sidepods to manage tyre wake, does that not contradict Russell's statement of slim sidepods being best?!

Or perhaps the sidepods are of no issue and upper body airflow can be managed in other ways, despite photographic evidence to the contrary?

PlatinumZealot wrote:
09 Mar 2023, 02:46
"The reason we've still got this skinny sidepod concept is because we still believe that is best and, to be honest, I still believe that's not going to transform our performance, if we came next week with a Red Bull style sideboard," he thought.
Russell is making a PR statement backing up the likes of Mike Elliott etc. Don't read too much into it.

Stu

Far too much driver comparison whataboutery removed from this thread. AGAIN!!

Who would really like a warning (or multiple warnings?)?
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

Goblin42

some conflicting comments from the team leadership here

Matt2725
Matt2725

Goblin42 wrote:
09 Mar 2023, 15:38
some conflicting comments from the team leadership here

Depends when those comments were made. As it is, I would suspect that Wolff if he intended to, has already shut down further development of that concept.

Vaexa
Vaexa

The comedy of Hamilton's remarks is that they did in fact listen to him last year, in that he was very vocal about the W13 being hesitant on initial corner entry (particularly around the US GP). I gather the W14 is much more positive on initial turn-in. That's a specific bit of handling preference that Mercedes' design team took to heart. I'm not sure what else he's been telling them, but I don't think Merc's engineers are going to wilfully ignore something like "hey guys I want the rear to not slide around".

mendis
mendis

Vaexa wrote:
09 Mar 2023, 17:09
The comedy of Hamilton's remarks is that they did in fact listen to him last year, in that he was very vocal about the W13 being hesitant on initial corner entry (particularly around the US GP). I gather the W14 is much more positive on initial turn-in. That's a specific bit of handling preference that Mercedes' design team took to heart. I'm not sure what else he's been telling them, but I don't think Merc's engineers are going to wilfully ignore something like "hey guys I want the rear to not slide around".
How much of that progress on turn-in has to do with the new Pirelli's, who explicitly targeted that one aspect to improve the understeer for 2023 tyres?