2023 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
search

Re: 2023 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

AR3-GP wrote:
19 Nov 2023, 10:53
Consider where Ocon started. With Leclerc's pace, Sainz should have been 4th.
yeah, Sainz lost like 20s to Perez from SC #1 to SC #2, although both were on hards and started just behind each other in 16th and 17th. He had some cooling issues in traffic, by the sound of it, but he also just didn't look particularly quick today.

Xyz22
Xyz22

We had the win without that SC. The warm up procedure of an old tyre is so much more difficult according to Leclerc. Nothing goes our way.

jambuka
jambuka

Vanja #66 wrote:
19 Nov 2023, 10:51
Have to say, while Sainz had a decent race and salvaged a decent haul of points, his start was once again abysmal. His tendency to miss the brake points at start/restart this season is a continuation of poor starts from last year. He needs to improve, a lot.
The bad starts seems to be happening in the last 2/3 races. Even LEC start was bad today. Are they experimenting with any new things for next season ?

scuderiabrandon

jambuka wrote:
19 Nov 2023, 12:31
Vanja #66 wrote:
19 Nov 2023, 10:51
Have to say, while Sainz had a decent race and salvaged a decent haul of points, his start was once again abysmal. His tendency to miss the brake points at start/restart this season is a continuation of poor starts from last year. He needs to improve, a lot.
The bad starts seems to be happening in the last 2/3 races. Even LEC start was bad today. Are they experimenting with any new things for next season ?
Clutches are reaching end of life cycle.

LM10
LM10

What a race by Charles! Fought solely against the RedBulls and absolutely deserved P2. Should have even won without the SC. Simply a monster.

Also overall really good pace from the Ferrari, but somehow luck seems to never be on our side.

Xyz22
Xyz22

So pissed off about this result…

Vinlarr89
Vinlarr89

You know what. We never get the rub of the green at the moment. That was 100% there for leclerc but for that damn SC.

I’ve given the team some harsh criticism, deservedly so this season, but I have to say. The car looked great this weekend and leclerc looked back to his 22 self.

I only hope the 24 car is competitive from the start and doesn’t take half a season to get to grips with, because we’ve got a driver alright!

Vanja #66

AR3-GP wrote:
19 Nov 2023, 10:53
Almost everyone missed the brake points on the first lap so I don't begrudge him for that today. His pace after that was questionable though. Consider where Ocon started. With Leclerc's pace, Sainz should have been 4th.
Sainz and Alonso are not almost everyone :lol:

jambuka wrote:
19 Nov 2023, 12:31
Yes, but this was not about bad start, it was about overshooting T1. Sorry to see he learned nothing since Australia.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Alonsismo
Alonsismo

both sainz and alonso missed the brake point due to oil on the inside line that was thrown to the track by the car that made the dirvers parade with hamilton

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

While I can't agree that Leclerc would have won without the 2nd SC because I think Ferrari was weaker on the hard tire, I'm not going to argue as we'll never agree :lol:

I think Abu Dhabi is going to be very interesting tactically because the Ferrari and Mercedes drivers will have to manage themselves and focus on P2 in the WCC which both teams want quite badly from what I've heard. RB on the other hand have nothing to lose next weekend.

Xyz22
Xyz22

AR3-GP wrote:
19 Nov 2023, 17:15
While I can't agree that Leclerc would have won without the 2nd SC because I think Ferrari was weaker on the hard tire, I'm not going to argue as we'll never agree :lol:

I think Abu Dhabi is going to be very interesting tactically because the Ferrari and Mercedes drivers will have to manage themselves and focus on P2 in the WCC which both teams want quite badly from what I've heard. RB on the other hand have nothing to lose next weekend.
We were weaker but with an advantage on tyre life and 3s buffer which were extremely valuable. The win was 100% possible without the SC.

After the SC, Leclerc had to go through a second warm up phase which, according to him, was extremely difficult and not kind to the tyres, moreover Verstappen had fresh new tyres.

Sevach
Sevach

Xyz22 wrote:
19 Nov 2023, 17:29
AR3-GP wrote:
19 Nov 2023, 17:15

We were weaker but with an advantage on tyre life and 3s buffer which were extremely valuable. The win was 100% possible without the SC.

After the SC, Leclerc had to go through a second warm up phase which, according to him, was extremely difficult and not kind to the tyres, moreover Verstappen had fresh new tyres.
While there was nothing guaranteed, Leclerc was looking strong, in the race we saw, he drove like madman trying to stay in Max DRS and come back at Perez twice and his tires still lasted... with the lead and the offset reversed at least we would've gotten a "photo finish" instead of Verstappen opening a gap.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Maybe (I said I wouldn't argue :lol: ), but also worth noting that Verstappen lost his front wing endplate (Like Leclerc in Mexico this year, and Silverstone last year). That did not help his car.

Without the SC for the collision, Verstappen would have had a perfect front wing, a 3 second gap, and only 5 lap tire difference. I simply think Verstappen would have caught and passed Leclerc from there.

dialtone
dialtone

AR3-GP wrote:Maybe (I said I wouldn't argue :lol: ), but also worth noting that Verstappen lost his front wing endplate (Like Leclerc in Mexico this year, and Silverstone last year). That did not help his car.

Without the SC for the collision, Verstappen would have had a perfect front wing, a 3 second gap, and only 5 lap tire difference. I simply think Verstappen would have caught and passed Leclerc from there.
5 lap difference is huge here not small. It’s 10% of race distance and Max had to pit after 17 laps on mediums so 5 laps are 20-30% of tire life.

Max needed 3 laps to get out of LEC DRS with the tire advantage.

And to top it all off Max had tires that were 5 laps older and lived through a lot of traffic and certainly wouldn’t have been healthy after 30 laps on them towards the end of the race.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

dialtone wrote:
19 Nov 2023, 18:19
AR3-GP wrote:Maybe (I said I wouldn't argue :lol: ), but also worth noting that Verstappen lost his front wing endplate (Like Leclerc in Mexico this year, and Silverstone last year). That did not help his car.

5 lap difference is huge here not small. It’s 10% of race distance and Max had to pit after 17 laps on mediums so 5 laps are 20-30% of tire life.

Max needed 3 laps to get out of LEC DRS with the tire advantage.

And to top it all off Max had tires that were 5 laps older and lived through a lot of traffic and certainly wouldn’t have been healthy after 30 laps on them towards the end of the race.

None of this matters. Look at Mexico. You saw the same thing. Leclerc nice long stint on mediums at a good pace whereas Verstappen had to get off the mediums much earlier. Then both cars switched to the hard tire and Verstappen was much quicker than the Ferrari.

So basically, the medium stints were irrelevant as it's not the tire they finished the race on. We've seen Verstappen have metronomic stints on tires at incredible pace. 5 laps was nothing. Teams and drivers said the deg was low here. Verstappen had graining in the first stint beacuse he pushed too much to clear Leclerc's DRS range (remember he was practically 1.8 seconds in front after the first lap).