2023 Haas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Vanja #66

Re: 2023 Haas F1 Team

https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/182745/h ... tweak.html

Damn, saving 250k for not using and shipping 3 pit wall seats... Ridiculous!
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

zeroday

Vanja #66 wrote:
24 Feb 2023, 11:54
https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/182745/h ... tweak.html

Damn, saving 250k for not using and shipping 3 pit wall seats... Ridiculous!
That is what got me scratching my head too. Makes one wonder why all teams dont do this so they can then use the savings to improve their cars. Nickle & Dime that thing to perfection :D

continuum16

I think Steiner made the right decision to replace Mick with Hulk, which admittedly I was not sure was the correct decision at the time but my god Hulkenberg’s one-lap pace is something else, and the car looks less shabby in race trim than initially feared.

This team is (thankfully) no longer a joke.
"You can't argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"
- Mark Twain

F1doc
F1doc

Alas, because of Hulk's performance, I wonder if Magnussen is heading the same way that Mick did and is overdriving & making errors like today's contact with the wall.

Big Tea

It seems to have established that the way to go if you want results in a (relatively) low cost team is to go for drivers rather than 'gizmoz'.
It can cost tens of millions to get a tenth off your time in the design room, but an experienced and good driver can pick up time from nowhere, and just bringing the car home is often a result, as others fall by the wayside and your car moves up the order.
The problem here though is of course keeping the interest of the driver who needs to think it worth 'putting the work in'
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

continuum16

I thought this might be a decent thing to point out, given the prevailing narrative that RB has some kind of “trick DRS” which I disagree with completely. In fact, the car with (on average) the largest DRS delta (open vs closed) over the first three races is Haas not RB, although unsurprisingly many media people seem to ignore this, despite the fact that, like Red Bull, Haas is also always fast in a straight line.

Even at Ferrari Vasseur seems convinced Red Bull has some extreme DRS setup when in fact a similarly powerful solution apparently exists a lot closer to home.
"You can't argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"
- Mark Twain

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

continuum16 wrote:
17 Apr 2023, 14:07
I thought this might be a decent thing to point out, given the prevailing narrative that RB has some kind of “trick DRS” which I disagree with completely. In fact, the car with (on average) the largest DRS delta (open vs closed) over the first three races is Haas not RB, although unsurprisingly many media people seem to ignore this, despite the fact that, like Red Bull, Haas is also always fast in a straight line.

Even at Ferrari Vasseur seems convinced Red Bull has some extreme DRS setup when in fact a similarly powerful solution apparently exists a lot closer to home.

This post needs more views!

SiLo

The Red Bull noise is because its in tangent with a very slippery car, so it's more obvious. But agree Haas clearly have a good rear wing design for their DRS flap to drop more drag.
Felipe Baby!

Mansell89
Mansell89

Others have touched on this in the works Ferrari thread, but Haas were mighty in a straight line again yesterday and one would think they might help the field latch on and try to bridge the straight line and DRS gap to the field-leading Red Bull.

Anyone got any technical views on their speed - which to me looked great even without DRS did it not?

continuum16

If indeed the race goes ahead, and both qualifying and the race is wet, this could be a big opportunity for Haas given their cars have generally performed better in the wet (be it setup, chassis flexibility, or whatever). Last year in wet qualifying Magnussen was P4 here, P5 in Canada, and of course the car was competitive in the wet in Brazil even before the fortunate pole position.

Hopefully this year's German driver can make it through at least one racing lap before spinning.
- Mark Twain

F1IndyCar7
F1IndyCar7

Haas principal aerodynamicist Juan Molina on the VF-23: "It's one of the things that we've improved compared to last year, the rear wing, the DRS effect is much better this year.

"Aerodynamically we can say it's meeting the expectations so compared to last year the data we got from the tunnel it seems to tie up with what we see on track."

https://www.pitdebrief.com/post/progres ... -package-1

ScottR267
ScottR267

organic

That got a chuckle out of me :D

Vanja #66

Alfa Romeo Haas Ferrari :mrgreen:

https://formu1a-uno.translate.goog/f1-d ... r_pto=wapp

Meanwhile, the agreement that will see Alfa Romeo leave Sauber but remain in F1 and become the new title sponsor of Haas in 2024 seems to have been finalised.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

CaribouBread
CaribouBread

That was a monster drive from Nico, gained some absolutely crucial points. =D>