2023 Alpine F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
User avatar
organic
995
Joined: Sat Jan 08, 2022 1:24 am
Location: Cambridge, UK

Re: 2023 Alpine F1 Team

Post

Twitter thread which is a translation of a recent AMuS article that covers the reasons Alpine struggled in 2023. Downforce that only ever existed on paper - expecting to be able to run the car lower and harder than reality (W13-esque) and consequently holding back development packages that wouldn't bring any better than P6 in WCC anyway.




User avatar
diffuser
222
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:55 pm
Location: Montreal

Re: 2023 Alpine F1 Team

Post

xReVo wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2023 9:12 pm
diffuser wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2023 8:48 pm
xReVo wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2023 2:18 pm

They should have the chassis developed by Lotus as they did until 2021, they should buy new structures such as the wind tunnel and they should hire capable staff. What did they do instead? They started hiring incompetents like Sfaznauer, throwing out Budkowski (former McLaren aerodynamic leader and also in the FIA) and Pat Fry who always made mediocre cars like Alonso's Ferrari
They upgraded their wind tunnel before Rossi. They've spent alot of money upgrading their infrastructure. Think it's top 5.

Pat Fry left to Williams. His cars came close to winning at Ferrari and he did win with Mclaren. They should have hung to him. I do agree, they have anonymous working over there.
No, their infrastructure is ridiculous, have you seen the place where they design cars? It's really small, not to mention the simulator that remained in 2006. Pat Fry worked at McLaren during the Newey period, we saw all his shortcomings at Ferrari where he churned out mediocre cars in the face of crazy expenses. You never came close to a winning car, only in 2010 you were behind Redbull and McLaren, in 2012 a total collapse. Either you agree or you don't agree, Alpine's results prove me right and in fact he ended up in one of the worst teams in the championship
Mediocre? Along with Alonso they took Newey and Vettel to the brink a few times. You're not mediocre if you pushed that team to the limit.

xReVo
xReVo
0
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2022 1:28 am

Re: 2023 Alpine F1 Team

Post

diffuser wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 3:42 am
xReVo wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2023 9:12 pm
diffuser wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2023 8:48 pm


They upgraded their wind tunnel before Rossi. They've spent alot of money upgrading their infrastructure. Think it's top 5.

Pat Fry left to Williams. His cars came close to winning at Ferrari and he did win with Mclaren. They should have hung to him. I do agree, they have anonymous working over there.
No, their infrastructure is ridiculous, have you seen the place where they design cars? It's really small, not to mention the simulator that remained in 2006. Pat Fry worked at McLaren during the Newey period, we saw all his shortcomings at Ferrari where he churned out mediocre cars in the face of crazy expenses. You never came close to a winning car, only in 2010 you were behind Redbull and McLaren, in 2012 a total collapse. Either you agree or you don't agree, Alpine's results prove me right and in fact he ended up in one of the worst teams in the championship
Mediocre? Along with Alonso they took Newey and Vettel to the brink a few times. You're not mediocre if you pushed that team to the limit.
But what a limit, the truth is that Ferrari spent too much compared to the results obtained on the track. There were 4 years of mediocre cars except 2010 where Pat Fry wasn't leading the development. In 2012 Ferrari was behind Redbull McLaren and Lotus in terms of performance, in 2013 at the end of the regulation he managed to make a decent car and then demonstrate all his shortcomings in the f14t, one of the worst Ferrari. After that Ferrari decided to fire him. I don't care about Alpine at the moment, but they didn't lose anything, in fact they gained by removing Otmar and Pat Fry. They had to keep the previous management with Budkowski, Abiteboul and Prost but now that's how it went for them.

xReVo
xReVo
0
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2022 1:28 am

Re: 2023 Alpine F1 Team

Post

organic wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:01 pm
Twitter thread which is a translation of a recent AMuS article that covers the reasons Alpine struggled in 2023. Downforce that only ever existed on paper - expecting to be able to run the car lower and harder than reality (W13-esque) and consequently holding back development packages that wouldn't bring any better than P6 in WCC anyway.



It is a poorly designed car, I said it already in 2022. They have a notable confusion in terms of development, I still remember how they changed the mouth of the sidepods in Baku 2022 with the square shape that no one adopted and then changed it now. You can see with the naked eye that it is a strange car, even the flat nose that has no one is a demonstration of how they try to differentiate themselves without success. Not to mention the push rod rear suspensions so archaic that the 2022 Alfa Romeo had them. And if you then add the engine gap with the rival teams which forced them to try extreme solutions such as cutting off the flap of the front wings, losing a lot of downforce, there is little you can do. We'll see in 2024

User avatar
diffuser
222
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:55 pm
Location: Montreal

Re: 2023 Alpine F1 Team

Post

I must admit, I agree with xReVo. The sidepods look like they have gone full circle back to the 2022 release. The sidepod kick floor looked more advance in 2022, looked closer to current RBR than their current floor.

KimiRai
KimiRai
217
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:08 pm

Re: 2023 Alpine F1 Team

Post

Davide Brivio to leave Alpine Racing after three years
The Alpine Formula 1 team has announced that the company has agreed to part ways with Davide Brivio at the end of 2023.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/davi ... /10557384/

AR3-GP
AR3-GP
339
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:22 am

Re: 2023 Alpine F1 Team

Post

KimiRai wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 3:37 am
Davide Brivio to leave Alpine Racing after three years
The Alpine Formula 1 team has announced that the company has agreed to part ways with Davide Brivio at the end of 2023.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/davi ... /10557384/
With all of these sackings, they surely will have doubled their development budget...

User avatar
Wouter
106
Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:02 pm

Re: 2023 Alpine F1 Team

Post



From Lisa Billard Alpine Racer Academy Driver and F4 driver.

The Power of Dreams!

K1Plus
K1Plus
1
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2022 5:15 pm

Re: 2023 Alpine F1 Team

Post

xReVo wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 12:42 pm
organic wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:01 pm
Twitter thread which is a translation of a recent AMuS article that covers the reasons Alpine struggled in 2023. Downforce that only ever existed on paper - expecting to be able to run the car lower and harder than reality (W13-esque) and consequently holding back development packages that wouldn't bring any better than P6 in WCC anyway.



It is a poorly designed car, I said it already in 2022. They have a notable confusion in terms of development, I still remember how they changed the mouth of the sidepods in Baku 2022 with the square shape that no one adopted and then changed it now. You can see with the naked eye that it is a strange car, even the flat nose that has no one is a demonstration of how they try to differentiate themselves without success. Not to mention the push rod rear suspensions so archaic that the 2022 Alfa Romeo had them. And if you then add the engine gap with the rival teams which forced them to try extreme solutions such as cutting off the flap of the front wings, losing a lot of downforce, there is little you can do. We'll see in 2024
The Alpine car has a bad rear end, and it still sucks in slow corners as it has been since many years. I don't know how Ocon managed to qualify P4 in Monaco with this car.

KimiRai
KimiRai
217
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:08 pm

Re: 2023 Alpine F1 Team

Post

"How Famin is aiming to reverse Alpine’s previous F1 failures"

It won't be easy but I wish him the best.

https://www.motorsportweek.com/2023/12/ ... -failures/

User avatar
BassVirolla
10
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:55 pm

Re: 2023 Alpine F1 Team

Post

KimiRai wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2023 1:03 am
"How Famin is aiming to reverse Alpine’s previous F1 failures"

It won't be easy but I wish him the best.

https://www.motorsportweek.com/2023/12/ ... -failures/
I can't explain why, but I always had a gut feeling that the problem was Rossi.

The interview that Peter Windsor has done recently with Szafnauer seems also to point in that direction.


User avatar
organic
995
Joined: Sat Jan 08, 2022 1:24 am
Location: Cambridge, UK

Re: 2023 Alpine F1 Team

Post

BassVirolla wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2023 2:41 pm
KimiRai wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2023 1:03 am
"How Famin is aiming to reverse Alpine’s previous F1 failures"

It won't be easy but I wish him the best.

https://www.motorsportweek.com/2023/12/ ... -failures/
I can't explain why, but I always had a gut feeling that the problem was Rossi.

The interview that Peter Windsor has done recently with Szafnauer seems also to point in that direction.

https://youtu.be/RXCZYe-ORbA?si=nYmciVG-NwdNYWja
Lol it was pretty obvious imo. Dude is a raging narcissist that wanted to make the entire team about him

User avatar
BassVirolla
10
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:55 pm

Re: 2023 Alpine F1 Team

Post

organic wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2023 3:24 pm
BassVirolla wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2023 2:41 pm
KimiRai wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2023 1:03 am
"How Famin is aiming to reverse Alpine’s previous F1 failures"

It won't be easy but I wish him the best.

https://www.motorsportweek.com/2023/12/ ... -failures/
I can't explain why, but I always had a gut feeling that the problem was Rossi.

The interview that Peter Windsor has done recently with Szafnauer seems also to point in that direction.

https://youtu.be/RXCZYe-ORbA?si=nYmciVG-NwdNYWja
Lol it was pretty obvious imo. Dude is a raging narcissist that wanted to make the entire team about him
There's material (interviews or statements) that suggest such behaviour?

I'd be pleased to hear or read something that validate my feelings. :lol:

Edit: Getting rid of people like Szafnauer, Budkowski or Prost I think that speaks volumes per se, but I've never heard nor read nothing from Rossi's mouth.

KimiRai
KimiRai
217
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:08 pm

Re: 2023 Alpine F1 Team

Post

BassVirolla wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2023 3:48 pm
organic wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2023 3:24 pm
BassVirolla wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2023 2:41 pm


I can't explain why, but I always had a gut feeling that the problem was Rossi.

The interview that Peter Windsor has done recently with Szafnauer seems also to point in that direction.

https://youtu.be/RXCZYe-ORbA?si=nYmciVG-NwdNYWja
Lol it was pretty obvious imo. Dude is a raging narcissist that wanted to make the entire team about him
There's material (interviews or statements) that suggest such behaviour?

I'd be pleased to hear or read something that validate my feelings. :lol:

Edit: Getting rid of people like Szafnauer, Budkowski or Prost I think that speaks volumes per se, but I've never heard nor read nothing from Rossi's mouth.
You could see him taking credit for successes of the team but making it clear that it was someone else's fault when things went wrong. You can take a look at comments of his in old news to see that. Also I remember an interview with Lawrence Barretto around 2021 or so where he said something to the effect that he was "grateful that someone else understood how the game works" referring to the 2022 engine, and look how that went. Although I doubt it was all his fault only.

User avatar
organic
995
Joined: Sat Jan 08, 2022 1:24 am
Location: Cambridge, UK

Re: 2023 Alpine F1 Team

Post

On other platform rumour is a team may be very behind schedule being ready for preseason testing. With this info about alpine struggling with crash tests perhaps it's them . According to formu1a.uno alpine have not yet passed the chassis crash test