2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
kfrantzios
kfrantzios

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

I really understand the frustration you must be feeling. Underperformance combined with extremely bad luck can be demoralising. But you need to ask yourselves, is all this negativity good for the team, for the other readers or even for you?

mwillems

chrisgr wrote:
19 Mar 2023, 21:15
It seems to me that there is Big 1 and then upper midfield, middle midfield and lower midfield.
Last year we had the same problem with our top speed. We were sitting ducks in many races. At least now I am a bit optimistic. All I want now is one normal race for us...
Part of today's speed on the straight was the amount of downforce we carried. To add to that, had we not got damage we'd have had a good fight.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Avocado
Avocado

Swed3121 wrote:
19 Mar 2023, 20:32
Zak is going to be working overtime to keep all the sponsorship money as well as the drivers after such a brilliant performance
No worries, they invented digital ad screens. McLaren has become a mobile billboard. It makes me proud as a fan.

Szabi1112
Szabi1112

kfrantzios wrote:
19 Mar 2023, 22:06
I really understand the frustration you must be feeling. Underperformance combined with extremely bad luck can be demoralising. But you need to ask yourselves, is all this negativity good for the team, for the other readers or even for you?
For example me it is good that there is a place where I can write all the sorrow out of me. Please leave us this place to do that or it's not the place where we are allowed to do that, create us a topic for it :)

This season started to remind me of 2015-2018 when most of the races were boring dominated by one driver and our cars were pretty 'bad'. As we talked earlier in this topic, It's no use overreacting the updates coming in Baku. I started and really advise you all to brace yourselves for a really really poor season like we had in the seasons mentioned. If its better we'll be surprised.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

When in clear air, the team had decent pace. Definitely TOP 10. But with the amount of downforce/drag/deployment strategy they could not overtake.

It would be a different story if Norris did not crash in qualifying and if Piastri/Norris did not get damage on lap 1.

Szabi1112
Szabi1112

FittingMechanics wrote:
19 Mar 2023, 22:57
When in clear air, the team had decent pace. Definitely TOP 10. But with the amount of downforce/drag/deployment strategy they could not overtake.

It would be a different story if Norris did not crash in qualifying and if Piastri/Norris did not get damage on lap 1.
Our car cannot produce enough downforce by the floor thats why we have to run with extremely big rear wing with which we are slow in the straight even with DRS. Sad story. Lets hope Baku package will bring something better.

Darth-Piekus

Regarding frustration or love for the team I believe there isnt anyone on this forum that is more passionate than me. I will agree it is frustrating to see that step back after 2021 but have in mind two factors.

1) We havent had a problem free weekend yet to see where the car stands. I believe the car is in front of Williams,Haas,Alpha Tauri and to the level of Alpine.
2) This car is an abandoned project midwinter for something that might be leagues better. I dont know how much but neither do all those neighsayers unless someone here works at Mclaren.

We get it that you are frustrated and want to take out that frustration. Guess what. I was frustrated for coming second to Michael Schumacher 20 years back to the point I wanted to write a letter of complain to Mclaren. Imagine what would my younger self would do now. So grow up. Nobody wants to hear your constant bitching and whining. Neighsayers can go take the train and go spread their hate all over Equestria for all I care. Just dont bash my favorite team.

djos

MrGapes wrote:
19 Mar 2023, 19:10
Lando got damage from Oscars wing believe it or not
Ocon should have been penalised for that incident, he just bashed straight into the side of Oscar and wrecked his race! 😡
"In downforce we trust"

diffuser

FittingMechanics wrote:
19 Mar 2023, 19:00
AR3-GP wrote:
19 Mar 2023, 06:16
Rushu wrote:
19 Mar 2023, 06:03

“So I think if you race well, if we can improve the car by a few tenths like we plan to do, then we can have some enjoyable races"

https://www.speedcafe.com/2023/03/09/mc ... h-weekend/

Baku upgrade is going to be by only a few tenths according to Stella.

Where are the journalist asking the hard questions. What if other teams bring upgrades worth a few tenths as well.
I think teams understand other teams will bring upgrades as well. Talk of improvement probably means few tenths compared to other teams.

You don't think that part of McLaren's problem, when compared to AMR, is that AMR goes out and get's the best aero guys out there and McLaren just settle for AMR's scraps?

swifteddie1
swifteddie1

I am a bit confused about the upcoming Baku upgrade.

The consensus is that the current aero philosophy was abandoned 5 months ago when the team were going down a dead end. However i've also read that the update for Baku is probably going to be worth a few tenths. Granted the midfield battle is so tight that a few tenths puts you much more comfortably into the top 10....my question is if the current concept was abandoned so long ago shouldn't the expected gains be more than a few tenths?

_cerber1

Oscar drove 49 laps on hard tires, while he was faster than Lando, Valtteri and Logan. :shock:

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

swifteddie1 wrote:
20 Mar 2023, 06:41

The consensus is that the current aero philosophy was abandoned 5 months ago when the team were going down a dead end. However i've also read that the update for Baku is probably going to be worth a few tenths. Granted the midfield battle is so tight that a few tenths puts you much more comfortably into the top 10....my question is if the current concept was abandoned so long ago shouldn't the expected gains be more than a few tenths?
It's not simply about what it brings instantly, it's also about allowing for more development. The new direction opens up more scope for finding performance, something that can be built on. Key already said that more will come from the floor around Imola, Stella said they have a strong programme for the rest of the season. So the new direction is also about potential.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

_cerber1 wrote:
20 Mar 2023, 06:55
Oscar drove 49 laps on hard tires, while he was faster than Lando, Valtteri and Logan. :shock:
He said the hards came back to life during the race. Lando was quicker at certain stages. It's tricky to draw a final conclusion, but definitely a strong performance from him, bodes well for when everything goes well.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

swifteddie1 wrote:
20 Mar 2023, 06:41

Unluckily there is no “magic bullet” in order to gain performance / lap time… Performance in an F1 car from roughly 3 factors:

Aerodynamics / Downforce efficiency
Suspension
Chassis (COG, Weight)

They all have to work together in order to provide lap time, The MCL60 already has received improvements in the Suspension and Chassis… We can see this in the lap times and the improvement year over year, even though they are using the same front wing and the same floor edge treatment as in 2022… So further improvement will simply come from the aero portion of the package (arguably the most important part).

There is a lot of speculation in regards to how much lap time it will provide, the reality is that no one really knows and people are trying to read between the lines to guess how much that would be worth… We are lucky that we get from PhillipM a little bit of information before everyone else and what we “know” is that the changes are coming from the floor and potentially a new front wing (which makes sense, given that this two parts are for the most part a carry over from the previous season, which if they found a different way to manage airflow to, in the tunnels at at the edge of the floor is to be expected that this would be the areas of focus.

In regards to the team finding a dead end… Part of the development process is to analyze different avenues / paths and then they iterate those to see how much additional performance can be extracted from those… At certain point they realized that they were finding more performance out of the “new concept” than the current one and decided that since it was showing more potential to focus on that one instead.

The problem when talking about “concepts” is that a lot of fans quickly infer that implies new sidepods or something like that (given that it is the largest and most visible part of the car, people assume them as the biggest differentiator… But a new concept could simply be a different Tunnel entrance, different geometry on the tunnels, vortices created by the fences, different treatment of the edge of the floor, etc… Funny thing is, they could actually have a very different concept and none of us would probably realize it if it’s in the underside.

How much more performance? Why speculate? Most of us would be wrong if anyone tries to put a number of tenths to it (also, how much performance it brings could be very track specific)… It won’t be long until we found out, one more race (Australia) and hopefully we will be able to analyze the data a bit in Baku.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Ground Effect wrote:
20 Mar 2023, 06:58
_cerber1 wrote:
20 Mar 2023, 06:55
He said the hards came back to life during the race. Lando was quicker at certain stages. It's tricky to draw a final conclusion, but definitely a strong performance from him, bodes well for when everything goes well.
Piastri is a tire whisperer… I’m calling it right now!

Watched the onboards, very little corrections he is not over driving the car, which the tires are really appreciative of :)