2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
continuum16

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

I think this was an inevitable decision. I do wonder if pressure was mounting since the start of 2022, and finally reached its peak at the start of this year. That includes both internal sources (drivers unhappy with car concept, other personnel/management, etc.) and external sources. You have to think that for a team with heavy ties to Bahrain, for example, that turning up in Sakhir two years in a row with nothing but disappointment and borderline embarrassment could cause some tension.

More importantly, Sanchez will hopefully provide some new ideas on the concept front, since that seems to be the team’s weakness given the catalog of comments by numerous drivers about the cars’ strange behavior. But of course, this can’t be realized until 2025, so once again it could be a two year holding pattern for progress.
"You can't argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"
- Mark Twain

The Prodigy
The Prodigy

Emag wrote:
23 Mar 2023, 15:36
Well to be honest, apart from 2021, James Key has been disappointing.

And I wouldn't even credit 2021 to him because that car was basically the ultimate evolution of the concept started by Pat Fry in 2019.

He had his chance with a clean sheet in 2022 and oh boy was the car underwhelming last year. Fast forward to now, and they have seemingly gone even further backwards.

I understand the situation is a bit more complex than that, but the reality is that they have gone backwards as they are the 6th fastest car at best for the time being.

Decision to sack him does not seem unexpected at all.
I said that Years ago and will say it again: They should have kept Pat Fry.

bauc

I wanted accountability and I got it, I'm pleased with the decision.

Key was a total miss at Mclaren, he failed to produce a competitive car and his strong side was always vehicle dynamics (suspension & chassis) and he even failed to produce a decent car in that area, all of Mclaren's cars even this one we have today suffered from a weak front end.
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

Macklaren
Macklaren

Wow. Was not expecting this at all.... Hope this is more a reflection of the Bahrain 2022 and 2023 debacles rather than a reflection of the upcoming packages

billamend
billamend

Ground Effect wrote:
23 Mar 2023, 15:34
Peter Prodromou survives again!! It’s crazy when you consider McLaren have been struggling with aero for a while now.
I don’t understand how!! all the signs i see (from outside and inside) point to him being a problem.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

It's a message to Norris and Piastri. Accountability. We're trying.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

There most be some reason, which I can’t personally think of. The 2018 debacle, Morris, Goss, Boullier all got canned. He stayed on. Now again in 2023, he gets what seems to be a promotion? Either he’s truly a genius who isn’t assertive and keeps getting stifled, or he’s got some serious dirt on Zak. :lol:
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

mendis
mendis

I hope Ferrari picks up James Key. He has been a good technical leader. Very unfortunate to see McLaren in this situation.

taperoo2k
taperoo2k

Macklaren wrote:
23 Mar 2023, 17:26
Wow. Was not expecting this at all.... Hope this is more a reflection of the Bahrain 2022 and 2023 debacles rather than a reflection of the upcoming packages
It appears McLaren started looking at the structure last season, but when Andrea Stella took over as Team Principal everything appears to have crystallised.
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/why- ... /10447595/

As for the new structure? I think it should probably work, I think some forget that Stella is an engineer so he can likely see through any excuses that might appear.

f1rules
f1rules

So Key was thrown out even you tried strongly to fight the idea when i brought it up numereous times ;-)
Ground Effect wrote:
23 Mar 2023, 17:33
There most be some reason, which I can’t personally think of. The 2018 debacle, Morris, Goss, Boullier all got canned. He stayed on. Now again in 2023, he gets what seems to be a promotion? Either he’s truly a genius who isn’t assertive and keeps getting stifled, or he’s got some serious dirt on Zak. :lol:

f1rules
f1rules

youre kidding right? you mean to ruin it for them?
mendis wrote:
23 Mar 2023, 17:44
I hope Ferrari picks up James Key. He has been a good technical leader. Very unfortunate to see McLaren in this situation.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Honestly I always think these top guys are overrated. One Newey will not make a killer car, he needs a big dedicated team for that. Obviously he may have better ideas and would be better in having an inherent feel for what works and what does not, and what the people under him should be doing.

I am not sure if Key was good in that regard or if Sanchez will be better.

I'd focus on hiring stronger middle/senior level engineers and not big name signings like Newey.

But at the end of the day, there has to be some accountability. For me, problems with brakes last year and minor fender issues this year showed the team was not led properly - these things should not happen as testing is very limited.

mwillems

FittingMechanics wrote:
23 Mar 2023, 17:57
Honestly I always think these top guys are overrated. One Newey will not make a killer car, he needs a big dedicated team for that. Obviously he may have better ideas and would be better in having an inherent feel for what works and what does not, and what the people under him should be doing.

I'd focus on hiring stronger middle/senior level engineers and not big name signings like Newey.

But at the end of the day, there has to be some accountability. For me, problems with brakes last year and minor fender issues this year showed the team was not led properly - these things should not happen as testing is very limited.
Well, Newey would attract those engineers in a way Mclaren on its own can't, so I don't think that logic works.

But he isn't coming to Mclaren anyway, total dreamland to think he is coming to the MTC any time soon.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Emag
Emag

FittingMechanics wrote:
23 Mar 2023, 17:57

One person perhaps isn't enough to make a big change. You need to have a good team of people. But the TD does make the big decisions and he is the one deciding the main concept direction.

The people under him could be the best, but if they're following directives you can only get as far as the potential of the TD's concept gets you.

Besides, when you hire a big name, they are usually accompanied by a couple of other key people that follow them as well. It's just that only the big names make the headlines.

Aston Martin for example, did not only get Dan Fallows from RedBull. A number of other technical people followed him there too.

KingHamilton01

The Prodigy wrote:
23 Mar 2023, 16:29
Emag wrote:
23 Mar 2023, 15:36
Well to be honest, apart from 2021, James Key has been disappointing.

And I wouldn't even credit 2021 to him because that car was basically the ultimate evolution of the concept started by Pat Fry in 2019.

He had his chance with a clean sheet in 2022 and oh boy was the car underwhelming last year. Fast forward to now, and they have seemingly gone even further backwards.

I understand the situation is a bit more complex than that, but the reality is that they have gone backwards as they are the 6th fastest car at best for the time being.

Decision to sack him does not seem unexpected at all.
I said that Years ago and will say it again: They should have kept Pat Fry.
I totally agree, Maybe if they could go back they might have made a different decision?
McLaren Mercedes