2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
FW17

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

When you get a new factory, everything is expected to be new. That means the latest and greatest computing hardware, staff facilities, offices, manufacturing, testing equipment etc. Also means a new management structure for the newly hired staff rather than trying build on a existing structure.

McLaren at the end of Mercedes involvement were struggling, reason for it was outdated facility, process and knowledge to keep up with Mercedes, Red Bull and Ferrari. These were reasons given by Paddy Lowe. The Honda money coming in for the 3 years did nothing in terms of major infrastructure projects. Since Honda leaving they have still been cash strapped, 2020 was mentioned as close to going under but they have come out. But overall not sure how long the car company can continue, both being the same company unlike Aston Martin which is a independent team with a branding from a car company, it will always be a worry how long they can survive. Sooner or later they will have to transition electric and that is going to be financially intensive.

Macklaren
Macklaren

2023 team wear has dropped...a return to papaya orange but combined with the neon phantom blue from last year and black. Looks p.good. I like it better than last year's color combo (though would prefer a return to the 2017-2021 darker cerulean blue)

CjC
CjC

Just a fan's point of view

Szabi1112
Szabi1112

Now most of the engine engineer has been taken over by the Red Bull we are trying to reunion. I cant wait to see McLaren suffering again with the Honda....

Chuckjr

That is a great article. Thank you for posting.

I now understand better why RB is going with Ford, and why it would make such good sense for Honda to re-pair up with Macca. Wow. That’s an exciting thought. πŸ‘πŸ‘
Watching F1 since 1986.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

This was a no-brainer.

It's about money, not hurt feelings. If two titans of the auto/motorsport industry can come together to build something that is marketable, they'll do it. Mclaren needing their own engine partner is a glaring hole in their resume. honda needing a team is a glaring hole in their resume.

bauc

As per the RACE, there has been some contact between Mclaren and Honda on possible reunion in 2026

Π€ΠΎΡ€ΠΌΡƒΠ»Π° 1 Π½Π° МакСдонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

diffuser

Szabi1112 wrote: ↑
09 Feb 2023, 20:21
Now most of the engine engineer has been taken over by the Red Bull we are trying to reunion. I cant wait to see McLaren suffering again with the Honda....
RBR do 0% of their current PU. All the Honda PU development gets done in Japan.

diffuser

AR3-GP wrote: ↑
09 Feb 2023, 20:41
This was a no-brainer.

It's about money, not hurt feelings. If two titans of the auto/motorsport industry can come together to build something that is marketable, they'll do it. Mclaren needing their own engine partner is a glaring hole in their resume. honda needing a team is a glaring hole in their resume.

I don't think McLaren need Honda to win again. I think Honda has few options, if they want to stay in F1. Honda are much better prepared for 2026 than they were for 2014. I hope Honda stays in F1.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

diffuser wrote: ↑
10 Feb 2023, 00:45
This was a no-brainer.

I don't think McLaren need Honda to win again. I think Honda has few options, if they want to stay in F1. Honda are much better prepared for 2026 than they were for 2014. I hope Honda stays in F1.
I think Mclaren need their own engine partner to win again.

Mostlyeels
Mostlyeels

10 Feb 2023, 00:54

This was a no-brainer.

I think it definitely gives some benefit, to be tightly integrated with the PU manufacturer. Do teams still say they need both to be competitive? I suppose, empirically, that is proven e.g. top 3 teams are all constructors and PU manufacturers, but there is more at play there too (bigger budgets leading up to the cap).

I am wary of Honda after the last time :) Perhaps I will be swayed, but I'm kinda hoping they stick it out with Mercedes.

DiogoBrand

I'm not even taking into consideration the fact that you need integration between car and engine development to compete at the front (it can also lead you to the back if not done properly as McLaren and Honda previously demonstrated but not the point), but how would that impact the budget cap? I mean, McLaren has to pay Mercedes to supply Power Units and that's money taken off the cap. Would that be "free money" if they didn't have to pay for PUs or is there some regulation within the cap to avoid this situation?

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

DiogoBrand wrote: ↑
10 Feb 2023, 05:31
I'm not even taking into consideration the fact that you need integration between car and engine development to compete at the front (it can also lead you to the back if not done properly as McLaren and Honda previously demonstrated but not the point), but how would that impact the budget cap? I mean, McLaren has to pay Mercedes to supply Power Units and that's money taken off the cap. Would that be "free money" if they didn't have to pay for PUs or is there some regulation within the cap to avoid this situation?
The full season supply is regulated at 15 million (although perhaps there has been some inflationary adjustment now) and excluded from the cost cap.

diffuser

10 Feb 2023, 00:54

This was a no-brainer.

Really why?

_cerber1

I think that after 2026, the engine will not matter, the restrictions and standardization from the FIA will do the trick. It won't matter what is written on your hood. An alliance with Honda may be a good marketing ploy, but it will not be the determining factor in the fight for the title.