2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Mansell89
Mansell89

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

Darth-Piekus wrote:
25 Feb 2023, 18:16
I would like to make a bold prediction.The car is much better than what people think. I even dare say that Lando Norris and Oscar Piastri will challenge both Mercedes and the Astons.
Other than one lap on a C3 from Norris, I haven’t seen anything that puts McLaren in the same ballpark as Merc or AM, let alone challenge them.

Both of those teams look to have a very stable platform from which to work too.

I suspect some very hard work is continuing back at factory to get this late discovered development onto the car.

I expect to be knocked out in Q2 next week but caveat of course is that this was only testing and all teams will show more next week.

billamend
billamend

bless you PhilipM for having the patience and clarity to put into words what a lot of normal people think. it’s exhausting coming to this thread and seeing all the whining.

i sometimes wonder what are these people in their professional life…

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Emag wrote:
25 Feb 2023, 19:52
Will Buxton reporting that he saw Lando punch through a wall. Not sure how we should take this, because he does play a key part in dts ...
This is hardly surprising. Lando Norris will not be challenging for a championship under this regulation set. It surely must have dawned on him.

Lando will have to move to Red Bull, Mercedes, or Ferrari.

Venturiation
Venturiation

Emag wrote:
Will Buxton reporting that he saw Lando punch through a wall. Not sure how we should take this, because he does play a key part in dts ...

Either way, it would be such a shame to lose a star driver like Lando. But at the same time, it would be injustice to keep him tied here if McLaren doesn't deliver.
here is the video very sad

Szabi1112
Szabi1112

Venturiation wrote:
25 Feb 2023, 20:26
Emag wrote:

Either way, it would be such a shame to lose a star driver like Lando. But at the same time, it would be injustice to keep him tied here if McLaren doesn't deliver.

What an amateur team we are. Poor Lando he refused Red Bull 2 times. Come on Lando! Leave us! We would like to see you winning WC.

Szabi1112
Szabi1112

Darth-Piekus wrote:
25 Feb 2023, 21:03
Some of you are becoming really annoying with that pessimism it makes me wonder if you are rival teams fans coming here to make fan of Mclaren. Nobody is going anywhere. To be in Mclaren is a priviledge and a huge honor being a part of one of the most historic teams. Unlike these Sports Drink Cheaters, the Ferrari International Assistance and the Success through Mclaren Canibalism Silver Arrows we won 8 Constructors and 12 Driver Championships fair and square. So please cut the insults. The same thing goes for these shitty Knowitall journalists who think their opinion matters.
The problem is that we cannot live in the past. I think it's normal if we are angry with the team because this is the second year in row when we cant pass a normal test season. And we are not talking about the performance yet...

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Venturiation wrote:
Emag wrote:

As a dad to 2 young boys, I’m willing to bet Will is embellishing the story. “He kinda, sorta… you know punched the wall”….. no doubt he’s frustrated, things haven’t gone the way he would have liked. It’s been a tricky test, but now, he’s gotta put his head down and go racing. Let’s hope they can make a fist of it.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Darth-Piekus

Szabi1112 wrote:
25 Feb 2023, 21:13
Darth-Piekus wrote:
The problem is that we cannot live in the past. I think it's normal if we are angry with the team because this is the second year in row when we cant pass a normal test season. And we are not talking about the performance yet...
I watch Mclaren from 1988 and I havent goten a constructors from 1998. I believe I have the priviledge to be the most angry one here but I dont start insulting the team asking for Lando to leave, for Zak to give up etc etc calling them losers and other various names.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Team report for day 3 and the end of testing:

Lando Norris:

“A decent three days here in Bahrain. First of all it's good to be back in a car. Second of all a big improvement from our test last year, getting so many laps under our belt, so the team have done a good job, a big thanks goes to them. We know there’s a few things we still need to improve on, but we’re in a reasonable place heading into race week. We’ve gathered a lot of data, which we’ll be analysing thoroughly ahead of next week. We’ll be working hard to get as much lap time out of the car and look to get the development of the MCL60 underway.”

Oscar Piastri:

“Day three done. It wasn’t the smoothest of mornings as we had a few issues with the car. I didn't get as many laps in as we would have liked. But nonetheless we still got some good running, and I'm still learning all the time, which is good. I think we’re in reasonable shape for next week, some more laps would be lovely but that’s always the case. It’s been a good few days of working with the team, getting the season underway, thanks to them for their support. I feel like we’re in a pretty good spot and I'm looking forward to getting out for my first race next week.”

Andrea Stella:

“The final day of pre-season testing has been challenging, as we had some downtime during the repair of a minor ongoing issue. We are not concerned about the issue for the race but it required some attention today to ensure we could complete as much of our run plan as possible. Despite those small setbacks we could still get some good information about the car in representative night-time conditions. We were able to see that we have made some steps in terms of performance across the test, and we have some valuable information ahead of the race next weekend.

“I would like to thank all the team, both trackside and at the factory, for the hard work during the test. Likewise, I would like to thank HPP for their support. We are now ready to go racing and look forward to the 2023 Bahrain Grand Prix.”

Emag
Emag

Out of all the pessimists (myself here included), the ones I don't understand at all are tha avid Daniel supporters who somehow feel a sense of joy at seeing McLaren struggle at his absence.

My bros, Daniel was severely underperforming and he had his ass handed to him by a rookie in his 3rd F1 season.

And it wasn't just a defeat, he got absolutely demolished for a driver who came in the team as a clear favorite to win that internal battle.

The "car doesn't suit him" excuse is absolute bullshit because Lando never liked the handling characteristics himself, yet he adapted to bring out stellar performances.

Daniel got what was coming to him. Smiles and giggles are not enough to keep you in the sport with how he was performing.

Guy received Mazepin levels of beating by Lando ...

Szabi1112
Szabi1112

Darth-Piekus wrote:
25 Feb 2023, 21:24
Szabi1112 wrote:
Darth-Piekus wrote:
I watch Mclaren from 1988 and I havent goten a constructors from 1998. I believe I have the priviledge to be the most angry one here but I dont start insulting the team asking for Lando to leave, for Zak to give up etc etc calling them losers and other various names.
I dont wanted to insult the team. But, truly, I like Norris. He deserves to be a WC.

CjC
CjC

Ground Effect wrote:
25 Feb 2023, 21:17
Venturiation wrote:
Emag wrote:

As a dad to 2 young boys, I’m willing to bet Will is embellishing the story. “He kinda, sorta… you know punched the wall”….. no doubt he’s frustrated, things haven’t gone the way he would have liked. It’s been a tricky test, but now, he’s gotta put his head down and go racing. Let’s hope they can make a fist of it.
First of all it’s Will Buxton… I simply can not believe that there isn’t a better journalist than him, he’s the main reason why I don’t listen to the F1 testing that’s broadcast on TV.
He probably ‘forgot’ to mention the small trip over a wire that Lando had which made his punch the wall.

More than likely Lando isn’t happy about the lack of running today but of course it’s being made to come across as this uncompetitive car none sense. Where is the video of him yesterday saying that he’s still in this for the journey and he kind of knows that there isn’t a chance he wouldn’t be fighting for the title within his current Mclaren contract and that it may take Mclaren longer than 2025 to be ‘competitive’ where is that video Will?
Just a fan's point of view

Darth-Piekus

Szabi1112 wrote:
25 Feb 2023, 21:49
Darth-Piekus wrote:
25 Feb 2023, 21:24
Szabi1112 wrote:
Ι dont wanted to insult the team. But, truly, I like Norris. He deserves to be a WC.
I believe he will have his chance with Mclaren.

mwillems

SmallSoldier wrote:
25 Feb 2023, 21:32
Team report for day 3 and the end of testing:

Lando Norris:

“A decent three days here in Bahrain. First of all it's good to be back in a car. Second of all a big improvement from our test last year, getting so many laps under our belt, so the team have done a good job, a big thanks goes to them. We know there’s a few things we still need to improve on, but we’re in a reasonable place heading into race week. We’ve gathered a lot of data, which we’ll be analysing thoroughly ahead of next week. We’ll be working hard to get as much lap time out of the car and look to get the development of the MCL60 underway.”

Oscar Piastri:

“Day three done. It wasn’t the smoothest of mornings as we had a few issues with the car. I didn't get as many laps in as we would have liked. But nonetheless we still got some good running, and I'm still learning all the time, which is good. I think we’re in reasonable shape for next week, some more laps would be lovely but that’s always the case. It’s been a good few days of working with the team, getting the season underway, thanks to them for their support. I feel like we’re in a pretty good spot and I'm looking forward to getting out for my first race next week.”

Andrea Stella:

“The final day of pre-season testing has been challenging, as we had some downtime during the repair of a minor ongoing issue. We are not concerned about the issue for the race but it required some attention today to ensure we could complete as much of our run plan as possible. Despite those small setbacks we could still get some good information about the car in representative night-time conditions. We were able to see that we have made some steps in terms of performance across the test, and we have some valuable information ahead of the race next weekend.

“I would like to thank all the team, both trackside and at the factory, for the hard work during the test. Likewise, I would like to thank HPP for their support. We are now ready to go racing and look forward to the 2023 Bahrain Grand Prix.”
Well the team feel comfortable with where they are today and comfortable with the steps they will take make a big step.

I don't expect us to do brilliantly next week but I have seen nothing to suggest we won't be strong in the races that come after.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Balalu
Balalu

The ones calling for Lando to leave are definitely not real McLaren fans.
"I showed him [with my hands] and said: I have bigger balls!” - Mika Hakkinen